BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-17-2018, 03:34 AM

Default Kidney function on high protein diet

Hi

I am looking for some guidance based upon some blood work I recently had done.

I am a 41 year old mom of three kids. I strength train 5 days a week, lifting heavy weights most days. I follow a high protein diet with 35-40% of my calories coming from protein during the day. I have PCOS and an under active thyroid which I have had for 14 years and which has since improved since starting my strength training journey.

I recently went for blood tests with an endocrinologist as I wished to be under the guidance of a professional heading into my latter years of life to ensure my hormones were monitored. I weigh 57 kg and have a body fat percentage of 18%, I have a normal menstrual cycle.

Prior to the the blood test I consumed a casein shake for breakfast, BCAA’s during my workout and a hydrologist whey shake post workout. The blood work has come back to say my creatinine levels were high at 90 and they should be 50 for my age and that my GFR was low but only indicated slight kidney dysfunction. My doc now says I must stop all protein shakes. I feel my strenuous strength training session and consumption of a shake immediately prior to doing the blood test could have skewed the results. Should I stop the shakes all together as am I damaging my kidneys or was it just bad timing on my part of when I went for the blood test? Advice please.
Unread 06-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Both training and a high protein diet raise CK and it doesn't mean anything

Most docs wno't know this

I am at a loss why you would consume a pile of protein before the blood test to begin with. Shouldn't it have been done fasted?
Unread 06-19-2018, 10:09 PM

What Lyle said. I've had Stage IIa or IIIa (can't remember which, heh) "kidney disease" for years now, according to my eGFR, which is chronically low due to my chronically elevated creatinine (I have no other lab numbers, symptoms, or risk factors that would indicate real kidney disease). I can get my creatinine down a bit for a test if I lay off the weights for a few days, stop taking creatine for a few weeks, stay well hydrated, and ease off on meat-sourced protein for a day or two prior, but I rarely get a "normal" reading anymore simply on account of having a bit more muscle mass than the "average" population for which these lab tests are tailored for. I do it anyway as it helps keep the doc from freaking out too much and getting on my case about it. Do a Google search using terms like "elevated creatinine", "muscle mass", "weight lifters" or something similar and you should find a fair amount of information.

Here is a document that mentions this phenomenon:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3383162/

From the document (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Creatinine is produced in muscle by the nonenzymatic conversion of creatine and phosphocreatinine. The creatinine generated is proportional to muscle mass and is relatively constant. The liver has an important role in the formation of creatinine through methylation of guanidine aminoacetic acid. The serum creatinine can vary by 0.5 to 1.0 mg/dL according to diurnal and menstrual variations, race, and diet (and method of meat preparation).

An increase in serum creatinine can result from increased ingestion of cooked meat (which contains creatinine converted from creatine by the heat from cooking) or increased intake of protein and creatine supplements, in excess of the recommended dosage. Creatine is present in the organs, muscles, and body fluids of animals. Creatine supplements promote protein synthesis and are a quickly available source of energy for muscle contraction, hence they are used to enhance athletic performance. Furthermore, intense exercise can increase creatinine by increasing muscle breakdown.
Of course this isn't to say that you 100% don't have any kidney issues, but unless there are other numbers out of range, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.