BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Celexa and Low Carb Dieting

I just started a 20 mg/day dose of Celexa and when I received it I noticed the precaution for QTc prolongation.

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm297391.htm

I noticed one of the risk factors was electrolyte imbalance.

"Patients at risk for significant electrolyte disturbances should have baseline serum potassium and magnesium measurement, with periodic monitoring. Hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia may increase the risk of QTc prolongation and arrhythmia and should be corrected prior to initiation of treatment with periodic monitoring."

I'm not currently on a low carb diet (probably about 150 - 200 grams of carbs per day, 40ish of that fiber, with way more carbs on weekends) and I do liberally use lite salt and take magnesium citrate every day.

If I'm in a deficit and dieting, or if I chose to go on a low carb diet in the future (I don't plan on it currently), would this cause an issue? Can something like UD2 or RFL cause hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia?

Also, I was told drinking in moderation was fine, but can dehydration from alcohol cause this issue as well?
Unread 06-26-2018, 02:10 PM

With how big the keto craze is right now I would and how many people are on ssri's, I would imagine I would have heard something about the combination being unsafe. The keto subreddit or some keto forum would probably be the best place to ask this. I would imagine that likely millions of people have done it and I have not heard one story of an issue with it. A pharmacist might also be a good resource.
Unread 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
With how big the keto craze is right now I would and how many people are on ssri's, I would imagine I would have heard something about the combination being unsafe. The keto subreddit or some keto forum would probably be the best place to ask this. I would imagine that likely millions of people have done it and I have not heard one story of an issue with it. A pharmacist might also be a good resource.
This is true, thanks for the reply.