BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
12914 12914 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 63
Default Failed diet break questions

I went on a 10 day work trip to Germany and the Middle East starting June 15th. The idea was to use those 10 days as a diet break and then get back to moderate deficit dieting when I returned stateside. Long story short, the diet break started off well but eventually got out of hand and has carried on through today.

While I was IFing and doing moderate deficit dieting, I did a good job of staying away from beer (alcohol in general, really) and flour type products. While on diet break, I thought I could have a bit of beer and flour type foods here and there and that "bit" became more and more to the point where I was craving beer and flour type products much more than acceptable. Regarding the beer, on this recent trip to Germany I tasted Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer for the first time and just got hooked on the taste. I bought a couple packs of this beer and others over the July 4th weekend and shared it with the wife. I hadn't had any beer in over 6 months prior to this, but after sampling this Franziskaner and then trying Paulaner Hefeweizen and Chimay for the first time as well, I ended up having 3-4 beers a day over 4-5 days which to some might not seem like a ton but to me was a whole lot -especially given all of the associated eating that came along with it (I had already overeaten since about June 18th during the trip). After having those beers I had ridiculous cravings and overate very much. I fear I've lost a lot of hard gained ground.

What's been a successful approach to hitting the reset button after a failed diet break? Is it go hardcore PSMF for a while or return to moderate deficits and just accept that it will take a while to makeup for lost ground?

Also, how common is it for there to be foods that you simply avoid whether on diet break or not? It's difficult for me to admit that I can't handle having even a bit of my trigger foods such as beer and flour type foods because what initially starts as a bit every now and then becomes more and more in quantity and frequency.

P.s. If I missed the answers to these questions while doing the initial search of the forum, I blame the beer.

Last edited by 12914 : 07-06-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
BMWGuinness BMWGuinness is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12914 View Post
I went on a 10 day work trip to Germany and the Middle East starting June 15th. The idea was to use those 10 days as a diet break and then get back to moderate deficit dieting when I returned stateside. Long story short, the diet break started off well but eventually got out of hand and has carried on through today.

While I was IFing and doing moderate deficit dieting, I did a good job of staying away from beer (alcohol in general, really) and flour type products. While on diet break, I thought I could have a bit of beer and flour type foods here and there and that "bit" became more and more to the point where I was craving beer and flour type products much more than acceptable. Regarding the beer, on this recent trip to Germany I tasted Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse beer for the first time and just got hooked on the taste. I bought a couple packs of this beer and others over the July 4th weekend and shared it with the wife. I hadn't had any beer in over 6 months prior to this, but after sampling this Franziskaner and then trying Paulaner Hefeweizen and Chimay for the first time as well, I ended up having 3-4 beers a day over 4-5 days which to some might not seem like a ton but to me was a whole lot -especially given all of the associated eating that came along with it (I had already overeaten since about June 18th during the trip). After having those beers I had ridiculous cravings and overate very much. I fear I've lost a lot of hard gained ground.

What's been a successful approach to hitting the reset button after a failed diet break? Is it go hardcore PSMF for a while or return to moderate deficits and just accept that it will take a while to makeup for lost ground?

Also, how common is it for there to be foods that you simply avoid whether on diet break or not? It's difficult for me to admit that I can't handle having even a bit of my trigger foods such as beer and flour type foods because what initially starts as a bit every now and then becomes more and more in quantity and frequency.

P.s. If I missed the answers to these questions while doing the initial search of the forum, I blame the beer.
Are you kidding me? If I was in Germany I wouldn't give 2 craps about a diet, I would party my butt off and reminisce about the trip for years to come.

Life is about enjoying yourself. You worked hard to lose all of the weight, and if you didn't, you would have been a LOT bigger coming back than you are now.

I went on a 2 week Guinness binge in Dublin, drank 250 pints of Guinness and gained 30lbs. It all came back off 2 weeks later. The stories I have are Epic and will be remembered by all for a long time.

Jump back on the PSMF horse for a couple of weeks, and get yourself back to where you were.

Additionally, I went to India for 30 days a while back, ate like a king, and lost 30lbs.

When I'm abroad, I enjoy myself, and end up with a broad.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM
incogenator incogenator is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 81
Default

hey don't kick yourself too much over this. just consider it a short reprieve and get back on the wagon. how much did you gain anyway? if you were on any carb-restricted diet keep in mind that you've probably got back a few pounds of lost water weight.

good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
jigglypuffs's Avatar
jigglypuffs jigglypuffs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,738
Default

While I can't say what it is that you ate with the beer, for some people (myself for sure) beer will cause you to hold a lot of water. It makes the weight swings and visual grossness (technical term) looks worse than it is.

Now, if you had a little bit of beer (what you described doesn't sound like much unless you are very small) and then started pounding meat lovers pizzas, that's different - and the beer is largely irrelevant there.
__________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And bears.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:02 PM
12914 12914 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuffs View Post
While I can't say what it is that you ate with the beer, for some people (myself for sure) beer will cause you to hold a lot of water. It makes the weight swings and visual grossness (technical term) looks worse than it is.

Now, if you had a little bit of beer (what you described doesn't sound like much unless you are very small) and then started pounding meat lovers pizzas, that's different - and the beer is largely irrelevant there.
This is exactly what happened. I drank beer and then the cravings came on and I ate until completely stuffed instead of eating until satiated. I can't explain why, but when I drank the beer, I became insanely hungry and craved everything. I ate until stuffed, then when no longer stuffed, craved the beer and the food again. It's like my mind disconnected. Not fun.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Nacho's Avatar
Nacho Nacho is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12914 View Post
I drank beer and then the cravings came on and I ate until completely stuffed instead of eating until satiated. I can't explain why, but when I drank the beer, I became insanely hungry and craved everything. I ate until stuffed, then when no longer stuffed, craved the beer and the food again. Much fun!
Fixed that for ya!

If you go to Germany on a regular basis than I would be concerned. If not, who cares?

As for which diet to pursue, I'd say pursue whichever one you have the best success with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgofo View Post
Let me help with your confusion. Regardless of your BMR/RMR/RHR/RPM/MPG/TNT/IMG/ETC., If you aren't losing weight and that is your goal, your eating too many CAL/ORI/ES.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Natural Natural is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuinness View Post
Are you kidding me? If I was in Germany I wouldn't give 2 craps about a diet, I would party my butt off and reminisce about the trip for years to come.

Life is about enjoying yourself. You worked hard to lose all of the weight, and if you didn't, you would have been a LOT bigger coming back than you are now.

I went on a 2 week Guinness binge in Dublin, drank 250 pints of Guinness and gained 30lbs. It all came back off 2 weeks later. The stories I have are Epic and will be remembered by all for a long time.

Jump back on the PSMF horse for a couple of weeks, and get yourself back to where you were.

Additionally, I went to India for 30 days a while back, ate like a king, and lost 30lbs.

When I'm abroad, I enjoy myself, and end up with a broad.
what does that mean? you ate like a king then lost 30 lbs? sarcasm?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Professor Chaos's Avatar
Professor Chaos Professor Chaos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 433
Default

If you've PSMF'd before and tolerate it well, do that for a couple of weeks and then take a diet break again but do it right.

I know I'm in the process of that right now just from the Independence Day/Weekend festivities. Weighed in at 183 on 7/1 and managed to weigh in at 197 on 7/5. PSMF'ing at least through Friday 7/8 and I'll probably keep at it until 7/16 as I go on vacation 7/17.

Anyway, keep your head up and be happy that you had an awesome time and knowing that you know how to drop the bad weight remarkably quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:41 AM
bonniecrocker bonniecrocker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Fixed that for ya!

If you go to Germany on a regular basis than I would be concerned. If not, who cares?

As for which diet to pursue, I'd say pursue whichever one you have the best success with.
You see you left. I did not. I've been in Germany since 2004 and went from 185 lbs. (already overweight) to 250 lbs. That is what the multiple fests and the beer did to me.

Your behavior was perfectly normal. I can't imagine being over here for a few days and eating grilled chicken which btw one can almost NEVER find at these fests. It's bratwurst, bratwurst, bratwurst (yuck) though that didn't stop me from eating the fries and schnitzel so readily available.

I am just now learning to control myself at these fests but it has taken me since Nov. 2009 to get down to where I am at.

Anyway, don't agonize over it and just get back to whatever eating suits you best. I would think that going from eating brats and drinking beer to a really restrictive diet like RFL would be very difficult so a modified diet would be best but, of course, up to you.

Glad you enjoyed it here. Ich liebe Deutschland!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-07-2011, 07:31 AM
12914 12914 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 63
Default

Thanks all for the feedback. Very helpful.

Just to clarify, the issue was that the overeating wasn't contained to the trip... it followed me home. That's what freaked me out, that the insane cravings kept on for about 2 weeks even after I got home and that I gave in to the cravings.

Time to toughen up and get a handle on things. It was just shocking how quickly things can get out of hand.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.