BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM

Day 4

Started my first ever staged refeed. Wish me luck :-)

Been dieting mostly for past 8 weeks so overdue (stopped for a week or so).

I'm going to aim for the low end of the ONE day refeed range which was 640g-960g carbs.

I hadn't planned on it being today but I'm really feeling extremely run down almost ill and although I've not done anything too strenuous at the gym for a few days (a very low volume chest day followed by two sessions of incline walking for 30 min) my body feels like it's been hit by a bus for some reason. I ache all over, headache, muscles are just sore.

Today was meant to be squat day but I'm going to push that out a day or two. This was a hard decision as I love the gym but it's the wisest choice imo.

I'm going to be over maintenance as the low end of carb refeed adds about 2500 calories in carbs. I'll be happy if I can stay under 4000 which would be 1200 cal over maintenance. I imagine in the future I'll incorporate refeeds when in my body I truly feel like it, rather than set amount each week which I planned originally.

In recent year I've ignored these signals before and got very ill. I think this is an ideal time to start a refeed. Let the fatiness commence.

So far been donuts, candy gum pastels, banana and a cookie and I'm about halfway to carb total. I expect the rest will be pasta and turkey mince in a tomato sauce.

I MIGHT add a second day of a refeed since the second day I only need to consume half the carbs of today. I could add that in quite easily. I dunno. Interesting stuff :-)
Unread 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM

Day 4 refeed day over.

Wow. I made a bit of a mess of today but I've learned a lot in the process so hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again.

My final macros were:

Calories 4500 (this is 1700 above maintenance).
Protein ~170g
Carbs ~550g ( lower than my mid-600g goal)
Fats 140g (Major mistake. I wasn't aware how easily this number could shoot up. My calories from fat alone is in the region of 1200 calories. This in completely unacceptable).

For next time I'll be:

1) far more aware of fat in carbs loads and minimise it is very low levels (I read you should obviously but refeeds are new to me so I didn't take it fully on board).

2) I'll be stricter with food choices. I love potatoes and cereal especially, they'd be ideal for carb loads. I'll minimise the junk as I went too far today.

3) I'll spread it out better. I didn't really get into the swing of eating til early afternoon. I had a small yogurt breakfast. I didn't realise how hard it would be to munch my target numbers.

On the plus points I DID manage to fit in a squat session today. After eating a fair number of carbs early in the day I felt much better physically so I decided to hit the gym. This went really well.

Low bar back squat 140kgx4x1 and 125kgx5x1 with a few other lower body assistance exercises. This went well. And is probably a PR for the last few years.

Plans for tomorrow are to continue a second day of refeed. This should be much easier as it's only ~350g of carbs I need to hit. To hit those carbs will only add 1400 cal to my diet. I should be able to hit a reasonable protein goal without being too awful.

Overall. Wow won't do it that way again. You live you learn though :-)
Unread 07-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Day 2 of refeed.

Today went well. I was much cleaner in my carb choices and it went quite smooth.

The estimates of my totals for today we're about 3100 (300 above maintenance) calories in total with ~150g protein and 350g carbs. I kept fat low too thankfully.

I did much better at spreading my carbs throughout the day. I'm severely regretting hitting the gym yesterday doing a PR squat day despite feeling like I got bit by a bus when I woke up. I should be fine but I took a risk with my health there and might get a flare up of a medical issue I have.

I really need to LISTEN TO MY BODY. I'm never going to stop the gym because I love it so stressing about missing a day or two here or there is silly.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow but I might do a small deficit or just see where my food intake ends up. Getting sick would suck. I'm probably being paranoid. On the plus point I'm looking good. I really need to get a good bf % test. I don't think I'm far from ten percent few percent but it's possible I'm deluding myself lol.

Last edited by jimike : 07-30-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Unread 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

Yesterday calorie total was ~4100 calories. Sadly this WAS NOT a refeed day but more rather about eating because I'm paranoid about getting ill. My illness flare up in part related to inflammation, the more inflammation the worse it is for me, less inflammation the better.

There's no real medication I can take to counter this illness. I can only play around the the variables of proper sleep, proper food intake (higher amount and better quality the better) and low stress (eg don't kill myself at the gym or cardio).

I've had a lot of improvement today so hopefully only another day or two or three eating higher calories.

My protein intake was probably lowish yesterday, probably 150g protein if I was lucky. Today will probably be reasonably high also. A few days 'off my diet' shouldn't change the time scales too much. Getting sick would set me back weeks or months though so all my efforts are going into avoiding that. Flexible dieting indeed lol. :-)
Unread 08-02-2017, 03:48 AM

Yikes.

Yesterday's total I would say was between 4000-5000 calories. I'd be more inclined to the lower amount but as I literally had to eye-ball calculate almost every single thing I ate yesterday (hardly anything was prepackaged or weighed).

I'll take yesterday's total to be 4800 as I'm sure it wouldn't have gone above that almost certainly and it's a nice round number to remember (2000 cal above maintenance). I'm 90% sure it would've been a fair bit less than this but it's good to work with worst-case numbers imo.

I'm still in a period of 'trying to dodge an inflammation-related illness' and eating towards that goal. I felt much better yesterday and also today.
Although there's still lingering symptoms which means I can't relax yet (or get back in my diet phase) until their gone. I have a doctor's appointment in two days also, fingers crossed for that.

lol my carb load went longer than i'd planned haha. I'll add up how much I've went over my maintenance calories later tonight. It's been unusual circumstances.
Unread 08-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Yesterday's total I'd say was around the 4400 cal mark. Wow, i'm doing this right (or wrong) lol.

I'm logging to stay true to my promise to myself to log everything. The good news is I've not experienced any unusual weight gain at the scales. If I can get healthy again and dodge this illness-related bullet I'm currently in the midst of I might do two weeks of an RFL diet to make up 'lost' time.

In the future when I'm dieting I'll stick to two hard workouts a week maybe. I definitely push myself too hard when at a deficit. Doctor tomorrow so hopefully some good news/more info.
Unread 08-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Today's calories was around 3600 or thereabouts. This is about 800 over maintenance. I'm uncertain of my protein intake but it would have been at or very near 200g I think.

Tomorrow is the doctor. When I'm well I'm going to definitely do a two week RFL once I've recovered. I'm getting paranoid about these bad habits I'm strengthening.
Unread 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM

what are you doing mate?

There's no psychological hacks or tricks here, you are just tricking yourself and sabotaging your diet by not having a plan.

Here's some things i have picked up:

1. Your measuring doesn't seem very definitive. Using MFP and paper? Why would you be using MFP some days and paper other days? Do you lose your phone every second day? Are you weighing your food accurately? Being flexible doesn't mean being sloppy. you are also using words like 'about'. About means you don't really know.

2. You need to stick to the same planned calorie intake every day apart from your structured refeeds. If your aim is 2500 and you only feel like 1800, it doesn't matter, force feed yourself or you will pay the price the next day, or lose control by the time your refeeds turn up. You need to be consistent so you can adjust what you are doing, otherwise you have no structure, its random everyday, and you never know what to adjust because your always changing it. It doesn't matter what you feel like on the day. Whatever you do wont change how you feel until a couple of days later when you cant do anything about it which will unnecessarily prompt you to take a cheat meal or refeed that you wouldn't have needed.

3. Your food measuring is probably wrong or inaccurate or you're paying no attention to fat/carb numbers on normal days. I don't know how you can fit some of those fatty foods in without dipping into your carbs too much when when you trying to hit '2500 or below'. As a 6 foot guy who lifts some decent weights you need a certain amount of carbs or you will get sick like you did and you wont keep your strength up.

4.Why are you refeeding every week and having 2 free meals? Ill tell you why, it's because you doing random stuff llike not eating enough on some days which screws you up. See point 1. At 15% bodyfat and 6 foot you should be able to eat 2500 cals for 3 weeks before you start feeling it.

5. Why are you eating way over cals while you are sick? Even if you ate at maintenance and had extra recovery time between workouts you will probably still get better, lose weight and not end up fat for no reason.

Sorry i know this is a bit critical and this is supposed to be 'flexible', but from what ive seen you need to learn how to be rigid on a normal deficit so that you can build the right habits. I'd suspect you have spent too much time using tools like RFL and big refeeds and stupid tricks and you have forgotten how easy a straight deficit can be when done properly.
Unread 08-04-2017, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the comment hectic.

I'll try to go through comments below.

1) I generally have been using MFP up until this last week when I've been ill.

2) My target wasn't ever 2500. It was probably around the 2000 mark. I said this in an earlier post.
I agree. My first refeed sucked. It was my first EVER so I didn't realise just how quickly the fat adds up. I'd be better next time.

3) My measuring before getting I'll was pretty good actually. The ambiguous stuff that'd be tough to measure I'd always weigh like cereal or sweet potato. I avoided the really bad stuff that's easy to underestimate like oils and the like. I didn't count carbs sometimes as I felt like I got enough anyway. I'm also good at eyeballing calories amounts and how much protein an item has but I'm not as skilled at eyeballing carbs.

4) I doubt I will refeed every week. My goal to aim for.was never 2500 probably more like 2000. Last week's.refeed was my FIRST ever so its still.new to me. I was only incorporating it due to get sick a couple times whilst dieting and lifting in last 6onths. I doubt I'll door once every week or reflection. I'll maybe go.by feel and how wrecked my body is.

5) My sickness is serious. Its Not standard flu or something. It's early symptoms of an attack of Bell's palsy, this basically means your face is sometimes completely paralysed on one side It will then likely heal over months but in some cases it won't ever heal again. Yes I might be overdoing the calories a bit when I'm sick but it definitely helps my recovery eating so much.
I've had brilliant food control recently and I was finding that aspect super easy. These circumstances are just odd. This isn't a normal person getting weak with food control. I genuinely am eating to avoid onset of a very serious illness I've had twice before (with one near miss also that in managed to avoid).

My focus is on hopefully avoiding my face getting paralyzed lol. I should know if I'm out of the woods in a few days. A week of naughtiness isn't going to change much imo maybe 2lbs gained maybe
.I'll figure it out.soon. thanks a lot for the comments I appreciate your time doing it. It's just a really odd situation I'm in now. I I'm maybe being a bit sloppy with overeating last few days but it's.because the dangers of getting sick.would be so severe.eg possibly lose the ability to smile, or blink, etc forever ;-(

Last edited by jimike : 08-04-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Unread 08-04-2017, 03:09 AM

ok, sorry im a bit stressed today

i'm similar stats and i would treat 2500 as a rock bottom. i'm about to try drop from 14 to 10 and ill be starting at 2700 (currently on 3200) and only lowing if my weight doesn't drop 1 pound a week on average. ill expect to take about 2 months.

maybe i got a faster tdee i dunno but i think 2000 is going to cause problems pretty fast

hope your feeling better soon with your face