BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-19-2016, 02:08 AM

Default A better way to test blood ketones?

Hi all,

I`m new to this forum, so a very quick introduction - I`m an entrepreneur based in Japan developing smart sensors for advanced ketone detection. I got interested in this area after using keto diet to lose weight, and also because some of my friends are Type 1 diabetics. I`d be very grateful to ask just two questions of anyone who does or has ever checked their ketones!

1. If you *don`t* check your blood ketones, why? Is it primarily because of cost reasons, pain, or because you generally know that you`re in ketosis anyway and don`t see the need to check?

2. If there was a convenient way to test the same ketones as a blood reader (BHB) through your urine for significantly less cost, would that be of interest? Why/why not?

Many thanks,

Daniel
Unread 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Because ketone concentrations don't matter for dieting one bit. So nobody bothers with them anymore. Diabetes is different.
Unread 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Hi Lyle, thanks for your reply! Could you elaborate a little bit on what you meant? Unless I am quite mistaken, there are still quite a few people who regularly check ketones including with urine test strips. I assume you are not one of those people - is that because you don`t see the point?
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:01 AM
Administrator

That stupid people continue to test an irrelevancy doesn't make it any less irrelevant.

Neither blood nor urine ketone concentrations mean anything useful to dieters. Their levels don't correlate with anything or indicate anything. I can put someone in deep ketosis by feeding them all the dietary fat and they won't lose fat. I can get someone in mild or untraceable ketosis (since they are burning them for energy) and they will lose fat.
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM

First if you're wanting to develop a new or cheaper way to test ketones, you might want to find Nutritional Keto (NK) people.

Second Lyle is right. I can be in deep ketosis and not lose, cause I'm eating too much.
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:46 AM

Thanks for raising this point. I agree that if someone is in full ketosis with a very high fat diet and trying to lose weight, there could be a false signal here. Also, if they are eating that much fat then they are certainly going to be in ketosis and so there is basically no need to confirm it with a test, right? I.e. common sense should tell them no need based on their diet.

However. I do disagree on the mild ketosis point, which is more of my interest. Ketones are often untraceable because strips like Ketostix provide qualitative not quantitative measurements, and read ACET not BHB. One thing we noticed from running tests is that BHB appears in urine during routine weight loss on a low-carb diet before full nutritional ketosis, for instance (c. 100g carbs in my case). There were also visible correlations between the depth of caloric deficit and levels of BHB. This is something that's not well known atm and we are doing more research on it. As it happens you wouldn`t pick this up with a blood reader easily however because blood readings measure "spot" ketones, rather than those over a duration of time as urine does, so much more time sensitive as to when you take the reading.
Unread 01-19-2016, 10:50 AM

Sassy > Thanks for this. When you say Nutritional Keto people, how do you describe them and/or see yourself differently?
Unread 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM

I've followed NK guidelines last year to try and lose weight. I couldn't stick with it. Mostly I was just eating too much based on my activity levels.

Anyway, there was a forum I was following and participating in while doing so. A lot of the people there either used the blood ketone meters, a breath meter, or traditional urine strips. NK has a specific formula of protien, carbs (usually around 20g) and fats. Where you are trying to get a certain range of blood ketones to supposedly facilitate fat loss. It works for some, but not for me.

I'm following Lyle's rapid fatloss diet now. I do go into ketosis, but that's not the goal. So I don't bother checking. Besides I can usually smell it when I do.

The only advantage I see to ketosis, is it does help blunt hunger. But it doesn't really do anything to stop specific food cravings. Which is something I have trouble with.
Unread 01-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Sassy > Thanks a lot for clarifying. Do you happen to remember the name of the NK forum you visited? Would love to check it out if so.