BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-10-2018, 05:50 PM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Smile RFL Log #5 (This one's the Winner)

This will be about my 5th (give or take) try, but my 3rd *serious* attempt at the RFL diet. I'm starting this log for a little accountability, and to share what I've experienced. I'm a 6' guy. Starting at ~193 pounds and around 25% BF four years ago, I've reached 170 pounds and have been very stable. The two times I have done this diet seriously, I lost over 15 pounds in around 4 weeks. There was a lot of yo-yoing, but I've done an OK job keeping it off with the occasional RFL stint and more moderate dieting. Lot's of details skipped, but I'll elaborate if anyone cares. Much credit to Lyle, as I have referenced his RFL book many times, even when I'm not following it completely.

The doctor's office body scanner says I'm at 17.2% BF currently, but caliper measurements taken by myself suggest ~14%. I don't recommend anyone break the rules here, but since I'm borderline I'm going to be following the Cat 2 nutrition, but skip the middle refeed like a Cat 1. I just want a kick in butt here and I don't think it's out of line since I seem to be right in the middle. After that I'll be sticking to the Cat 1 scheme.

I've already completed 3 days of moderate dieting to get primed, and get some of the water weight off. The diet actually started 09/07/2018 so this will be day four. The morning of Day 1 I weighed 170.0 pounds on the mark. I must mention my upper body workout today was lackluster, but I'm not feeling too tired now. In fact I'm very confident. Part of this has to do with I've found the perfect recipes (and meal timing) for me and this diet, and am not struggling with hunger *at all*! I'll share those soon.

Also, I'll be obsessively checking the scale and calculating my progress in Excel. You shouldn't do this, but I can't help myself, it's who I am. I'll be posting all the juicey details eventually.

Last edited by petrochef : 09-10-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 09-11-2018, 10:39 AM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Default Day 5 - Going Strong

The scale has dropped really quickly to 167 pounds, considering I was at 176 before 3 days of moderate dieting. I thought I had gotten all the water weight off, but maybe the 9 pounds of water is because I am more restrictive with my macros (carbs) than before. I was thinking this might risk LBM until I read page 54, "Within the context of the diet in this book, most people will be eating somewhere between 400 and 800 calories per day or so (some Category 1, or larger Category 2 and 3 dieters with a lot of lean body mass may end up closer to 1200 calories per day)."

For the general public, maybe they shouldn't focus on calories, but for me, I want to do things "perfectly". Knowing that I'm taking in around 1150 calories, tells me I'm not being so extreme after all. I'm using the "FatSecret" App by the way, and assuming it's accurate, I find it to be very convenient. Yesterday, I had 1139 calories, 150 grams protein, 35 grams carbs, and 43 grams fat. I'm still very confident and comfortable at the rate I'm going.

Yesterday, I skimmed the RFL forum which led me to the topic of 5-hour refeeds. Here is an interview of Lyle on this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjl1Uui3Yw
It's solidified my decision to forgo the middle refeed. Maybe I'll still do it this Friday if I get desperate, but I'm feeling pretty great.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Nony_Mouse Nony_Mouse is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default

I'm still doing the refeeds. Even though I know they're not doing anything to reverse metabolic slowdown, I'm finding them necessary for keeping my energy levels up. Also not struggling with hunger (actually, just starting to feel hungrier half way through week 3), but definitely less energy by both free meal and refeed days. Not terrible, but enough that I know pushing any longer would likely result in full sloth mode.

For me though, skipping refeed would only make a mighty ~100g difference in fat loss (female, within normal BMI, so my deficit isn't huge comparatively), so it's worth it to feel better and be able to keep going with ease.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 09-12-2018, 09:09 AM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony_Mouse View Post
I'm still doing the refeeds. Even though I know they're not doing anything to reverse metabolic slowdown, I'm finding them necessary for keeping my energy levels up. Also not struggling with hunger (actually, just starting to feel hungrier half way through week 3), but definitely less energy by both free meal and refeed days. Not terrible, but enough that I know pushing any longer would likely result in full sloth mode.

For me though, skipping refeed would only make a mighty ~100g difference in fat loss (female, within normal BMI, so my deficit isn't huge comparatively), so it's worth it to feel better and be able to keep going with ease.
Yup, that's probably the right decision, and a good reason why the short re-feed would be beneficial. For me right now (and that could change) I'll do anything to speed this up if it doesn't hurt. If I'm sailing over into middle Cat 1 territory, I'll probably cut this round short with a 2 day refeed. The ability to keep going at a deficit is the most important thing, and it sound like you're doing well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 09-12-2018, 10:01 AM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Default Day 6 - Looking a little crazy (The scale and me)

Yesterday went well. No hunger. I'm likely in Ketosis by now, and that may have something to do with it. My energy is "enough" but not great. Frankly, as long as it's not terrible that's a good sign for me on this diet. More sleep may be helping me cope. My protein intake has actually been 170 grams not 150 grams. Also, even though I've been eating "allowed foods" my calories at 1150 were a little high. Perhaps that was helping with hunger, but yesterday I lowered them to 1030 calories.

Today, I get on the scale for a surprise. 165.4 pounds! This is not a welcome surprise for me, but a warning sign. Other than the decrease between 9/7 and 9/8, my weight loss has actually *accelerated* every single day. My goal weight after two weeks was 165 pounds, so this is kinda freaky. Referencing the book, "Studies demonstrate a rapid weight loss of anywhere from 1-15 pounds in the first week." Well my calories are apparently on the heavy side, and my protein is adequate so maybe this is normal. I'm not at a 15 pound drop, so hopefully this will even out.

Attached is my morning weight, and the curve I thought would function as a "minimum" to ups and downs. Now it seems like a silly kid's slide compared to the roller coaster I'm on right now. The orange is actually not a straight line, but an equation based on my starting 170, setting the Harris-Benedict Formula equal to the doctor's office BMR, and assuming 3500/pound fat. I realize this kind of thing can only be so accurate, but I'd like to find a number for my general "extreme diet" metabolism anyway.

Also, having lot's of fun convincing my friends and family I'm not an insane person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180912.jpg (16.3 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Nony_Mouse Nony_Mouse is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochef View Post
Yup, that's probably the right decision, and a good reason why the short re-feed would be beneficial. For me right now (and that could change) I'll do anything to speed this up if it doesn't hurt. If I'm sailing over into middle Cat 1 territory, I'll probably cut this round short with a 2 day refeed. The ability to keep going at a deficit is the most important thing, and it sound like you're doing well.
I'm actually spreading my refeeds over a day, just easier for me. I toyed with just doing a second free meal so I'm still at a deficit that day, but I think I've hit the perfect combination of decent results whilst still having the whole thing be relatively painless. Women suffer the metabolic adaptations more quickly too, which is why I'm doing three week rounds. I want this fat gone, but I know logically that taking breaks more regularly rather than pushing to the limits will actually get me there as fast, if not faster.

Really should get around to starting my own log!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Nony_Mouse Nony_Mouse is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochef View Post
Yesterday went well. No hunger. I'm likely in Ketosis by now, and that may have something to do with it. My energy is "enough" but not great. Frankly, as long as it's not terrible that's a good sign for me on this diet. More sleep may be helping me cope. My protein intake has actually been 170 grams not 150 grams. Also, even though I've been eating "allowed foods" my calories at 1150 were a little high. Perhaps that was helping with hunger, but yesterday I lowered them to 1030 calories.

Today, I get on the scale for a surprise. 165.4 pounds! This is not a welcome surprise for me, but a warning sign. Other than the decrease between 9/7 and 9/8, my weight loss has actually *accelerated* every single day. My goal weight after two weeks was 165 pounds, so this is kinda freaky. Referencing the book, "Studies demonstrate a rapid weight loss of anywhere from 1-15 pounds in the first week." Well my calories are apparently on the heavy side, and my protein is adequate so maybe this is normal. I'm not at a 15 pound drop, so hopefully this will even out.

Attached is my morning weight, and the curve I thought would function as a "minimum" to ups and downs. Now it seems like a silly kid's slide compared to the roller coaster I'm on right now. The orange is actually not a straight line, but an equation based on my starting 170, setting the Harris-Benedict Formula equal to the doctor's office BMR, and assuming 3500/pound fat. I realize this kind of thing can only be so accurate, but I'd like to find a number for my general "extreme diet" metabolism anyway.

Also, having lot's of fun convincing my friends and family I'm not an insane person.
Damn that's a fast drop!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 09-12-2018, 04:33 PM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony_Mouse View Post
Damn that's a fast drop!
I did a triple re-weigh before I believed it. One can dream it's all fat coming off...

I haven't been this serious about fitness in a long time, and so here I am giving another update today. Reading Lyle's/fitness stuff is distracting me from work, so nothing but making the macros tommorrow.

In general, I've been wanting a nap all day, but I think that's a sleep issue. My 6 set, leg/ab workout was not hard at all. The biggest thing is I'm planning around weddings and stuff, so I'm gonna make this more like a Cat 1. That means 12 days diet and refeed on days 13, 14, 15 before doing a shortened maintenance period. Then I'll do a legitimate Category 1, maintenance and see where I'm at then.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 09-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Nony_Mouse Nony_Mouse is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochef View Post
I did a triple re-weigh before I believed it. One can dream it's all fat coming off...

I haven't been this serious about fitness in a long time, and so here I am giving another update today. Reading Lyle's/fitness stuff is distracting me from work, so nothing but making the macros tommorrow.

In general, I've been wanting a nap all day, but I think that's a sleep issue. My 6 set, leg/ab workout was not hard at all. The biggest thing is I'm planning around weddings and stuff, so I'm gonna make this more like a Cat 1. That means 12 days diet and refeed on days 13, 14, 15 before doing a shortened maintenance period. Then I'll do a legitimate Category 1, maintenance and see where I'm at then.
How are your electrolytes? Fatigue can be a sign that you're not getting enough. Of course it may also just be the low cals and glycogen depletion, but if you have some lite salt try mixing a couple of grams in a glass of water and see if it helps (or just put some extra salt on your food).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 09-14-2018, 09:43 AM
petrochef petrochef is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Default Days 7 & 8 - I'm making it

Day 7 - 2018-09-13
Well my weight finally stabilized. Not! I'm **still** dropping and fast! Over the course of 9 days I have dropped 12 pounds. I don't feel particularly weak other than wanting to sleep in. My hunger finally krept in late yesterday, but really it's still on easy mode for whatever reason. I don't know what to think about this drop! I was in a situation where I couldn't get to my diet food for a while, so I made do with some mozzorella cheese rather than go hungry and eat something worse. It didn't hurt my macros much. Moderate hunger is starting to creep in, but it's not bad.

Day 8 - 2018-09-14
I didn't think I'd be this happy to stop losing weight. Finally, my weight has stabilized at 164 pounds. Energy seems normal during the day, but I am sleeping an hour more. All in all it's been very manageable. My upper body workout, later, should be a good indicator.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.