BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Red face ... Such a fine line ~

Hey all,

Just an observation here: I am trying to follow an Atkin's induction/Keto diet lifestyle daily. Sometimes I do really well and other
Times, errrr not that great. My Carbs vary from 20 to 60grs a day, depending on how I feel and on the workouts I do. ( I only do cardio, and should do weights, I know )

The thing is, when I eat less in a day, keep the carbs low and calories to around 1,200 ~ my next dayís daily run
Is usually really good. I feel great, have great breathing (still slow AF), can go on for a while (I usually run 10k a day).
My joints and muscles do not ache.

If I eat a little too much either calorie-wise, i.e. more carbs ~ my next dayís run is pretty miserable ~ I feel sluggish, my joints
Hurt somehow, I get sore and my breathing is all over the place.

I must be a total newbie or very inexperienced ~ I just canít seem to find what works best for me yet and loose that stupid
10 lbs I have left to lose. I am up and down ~ up and down stuck on between 127 and 130 lbs.

Sorry, I am rambling here ...
Unread 06-17-2017, 12:55 AM

What happens when you increase calories slightly but don't increase carbs.
For example:
Day 1 you eat 1200 cals with 50 grams of carbs
Day 2 you eat 1500 cals with 50 grams of carbs.

Do you feel worse on the high cal day even when keep carbs low?

I did strict keto for an entire year, carbs could foul up my body and make me lethargic. However I could increase calories by adding in more fat and it would make me more energetic.

Instead of cheating with carbs have some more fat. I bet you will feel much more energetic and your runs will improve.

Adding in more carbs during weak moments will just keep your body shifting and transitioning to different energy systems. Keep it running on fat by eating fat and keeping carbs low

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 06-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
What happens when you increase calories slightly but don't increase carbs.
For example:
Day 1 you eat 1200 cals with 50 grams of carbs
Day 2 you eat 1500 cals with 50 grams of carbs.

Do you feel worse on the high cal day even when keep carbs low?

I did strict keto for an entire year, carbs could foul up my body and make me lethargic. However I could increase calories by adding in more fat and it would make me more energetic.

Instead of cheating with carbs have some more fat. I bet you will feel much more energetic and your runs will improve.

Adding in more carbs during weak moments will just keep your body shifting and transitioning to different energy systems. Keep it running on fat by eating fat and keeping carbs low
Hey there,
I am so grateful you replied. You know, I never really did this... keep carbs lower and increase the cals with fat goodness. It is something I will have to play with this week. THank you for the insightful observation!

What kind of WOE are you following, if I may ask?

Also, in your opinion ~ if I run 5 times a week instead of 7 and do more weight training on those 2 or 3 days, do you think it will help me lose the last 10lbs and get more benefits for my cardio work out? I am pretty much down to the last amount of weight loss and it is soooo hard to lose.

Trying to revamp my workouts and not getting burned out. I love running but
think I need to do weight training as well. I cross train with swimming at the moment...
Unread 06-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Yea keto thrives on fat, you transitioned your body to burning fat almost exclusively for fuel so you need to keep dietary fat up some especially to support high activity levels.

I've been using RFL and UD2 for the past 4-5 months. During the holiday season I was on a home brew diet but before that when I wasn't trying to get fat I was intermittent fasting. I've actually been IFing for years now and use it in conjunction with lyles programs. It works incredibly well for me when it comes to diet adherence.

Anyways I don't think your going to like what I suggest. I think attempting wieght training with 5 days of running on a deficit is the same or worse than running 7 days a week on the same deficit. You're simply not going to recover well enough. Have you taken a diet break? Let your calories come up to maintenance levels for a couple weeks? That could be all you need to make the final push. When I go on a diet break I lose 5 pounds. I guess it's all the hormone levels returning to normal and letting go of water and such.

Also have you thought about getting a Dexa scan? It might be eye opening to see an objective measure of your body composition. What if you were continually pounding your head into a "metabolic wall" because you were near essential fat and your body was just shutting you down each time you approach it. Could be a health concern.

Anyways I say keep carbs low raise fats some and come up to maintenance for a couple of weeks you might find you lose that last bit and have all the energy you need to run everyday. Are you one of those crazy people I see bundled up during the winter months running on ice? Just curious

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM

You might have hit the nail on the head... maybe i need to just take a diet break for a week or so and after that, get back to Atkins/Keto. I have been on diets (pretty much trying to find what works for me for 15 months now, which lead me to lose 80lbs. I've tried pretty much everything: vegan, vegetarian, IF, fruitarian, raw, paleo, Keto, Atkins... I kind of love to try different things and see what makes my body tick best. Throughout my journey, I developed really debilitating migraines ~ and overtime, I realized they were triggered by the high carbs diets i was on (especially Raw with the sugar crashes) and once I switched to Atkins, they magically went away. It was a relief for sure...

Anyway, I do believe I should really try to get some weight training going... I do think I am kind of a "skinny/fat" person. I am really lean on top but muscular with flubber on my upper legs. I somewhat morphed into a runner's body type, but at my age ~ things aren't bouncing back the way it was when in my 20's I truly believe I am in the mid 20's body fat-wise.
Not sure where I could get a DEXA scan... would be interesting to find out.

As for running in the winter, I am not sure yet! last year, i ran on my treadmill in the colder months, but know knows? I might get myself some ski pants with some YAKTRAX and run outside

Thanks again for your reply. Truly appreciated!
Unread 06-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Default Diet Break!!!

Oh Lordy no diet break for 15 months?! I applaud you're resolve but you should really take a break for pretty much every reason. A nice long one too.. somthing of the order of at least a month or more. You will probably be quite pleased at some of the benefits like increased performance, MAYBE wieght loss but even if you do gain a few during the break it's ok going back to dieting you will strip that off and more. Anyways there's so much to be said and honestly losing 80 lbs while that's an amazing accomplishment and all you should be VERY weary going forward and having this change stick.
A diet break will be like a trial run of how to make this weight lost stick and stay. You will learn a lot about how you will need to manage your new weight. Wierd temptations and mental and emotional ambitions contrary to your goals will spring up from your unconscious. I say that with complete humility.. take it from someone who's fasted on nothing but water for 21 days, been a raw vegan for a year, keto for a year, etc. I have considerable willpower but where your at is a very vulnerable place and diet breaks REALLY help you to change your relationship with your body for the long run. GOd speed!

Socrates
Unread 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you so much ~ you have to be one of the nicest person I've stumbled on ANY forum. You have been very kind and helpful. I have lots to think about. I think I might start a break around the 4th of July for 15 days to start and see how it goes... I am a little scared of venturing out into "breakland" per se. But I know I should do it.

Perhaps with this break, I can start working on some weight routine, I think it would do me good.

Have a great afternoon and week ahead
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnRunner View Post
Thank you so much ~ you have to be one of the nicest person I've stumbled on ANY forum. You have been very kind and helpful. I have lots to think about. I think I might start a break around the 4th of July for 15 days to start and see how it goes... I am a little scared of venturing out into "breakland" per se. But I know I should do it.

Perhaps with this break, I can start working on some weight routine, I think it would do me good.

Have a great afternoon and week ahead
Kind words! Thank you! Yea give the diet break a try and let me know hoenit goes!

Socrates