BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-12-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
This thread is too much. Honestly though,if you are serious about praying, all of the spiritual masters I look up to, both historically and contemporary, are celibate. I understand sex as a form of connection and sign of love, but in no way is it the only or even best way to show that. In the end sex comes down to lust. I guess that is just my opinion though.
Were they jacked though? Fasting increases hgh like 230000x

https://www.reddit.com/r/leangains/c...mone_increase/
Unread 10-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Please pray only on a fast, thank you.
Would this be more beneficial than cardio to get under 10% body fat?
Unread 10-13-2018, 03:48 AM

^lol. Honestly yeah. On a serious note I'm dieting down to 10% myself sans any cardio for the same reasons you are actually. Tad slower but feel itll be easier to maintain
Unread 10-26-2018, 12:41 AM

Ok update, finished my cut.

What's strange is that I continued losing weight, never plateaud on the scale.. but my waist wasn't shrinking and my stomach wasn't really getting leaner. I suppose this would mean that I was losing muscle rather than fat... but I wasn't losing any strength so I'm quite confused.

In other words

I didn't get anywhere near AS CUT as I do when using cardio... however, my strength loss was minimal... I don't think I lost any strength. Maybe a rep or two on squats and incline bench but other than that, lifts were stable and went up.

Pros:
Strength retention
Mood/energy was better than my previous cuts using cardio
Hunger was controllable

Cons:
Don't look as cut as I did when using cardio (despite being around the same weight as what I finished my previous cut at)
Stubborn areas still have some fat

-
what's your experience been like?

Starting a lean mass phase now so let's see how this goes.
Unread 10-26-2018, 07:32 AM

I'll second the pro about mood/hunger/strength. I'm losing some sleep recently and strength predictably dropping in lifts more dependant on leverages. Overall it's been the most pleasant cut I've done. Not food focused, no cravings, not looking forward to adding tastier stuff in. Just started to eat into more stubborn areas like low ab and back they are going away just as expected as weight drops. Waist measures about comparable as previous cuts.
Unread 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaken3400 View Post
what's your experience been like?
A lot of people say that you only need diet and lifting, and while accurate for some, I have not really found that to be the case. I too have had noticeably better cuts when including at least some cardio and have been noticeably leaner at the same weight when keeping some in.

I don't really know why this is. Some possible mechanisms:

- Better fitness which leads to better weight workouts. Weight training itself isn't aerobic but the aerobic system is still active in recovery between sets and workouts.

- Better partitioning, insulin sensitivity, or some other factor of cardiometabolic health

- Possibly some direct stimulus for cardio on hypertrophy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4523889/ (lots of caveats there, e.g. aging population, and beginners in the sense that we'd think about that)

I've found even just the bare minimum (3x/week for 20-30 min) helps a good amount. More is better to a point, but there are diminishing returns and limitations on time/recovery - even low-moderate intensity stuff has to be accounted for.
Unread 10-26-2018, 10:00 AM

^ I think that 20-30 min 2-3x/wk is the sweet spot for cardio for health and balancing with lifting (I aim to do about that during maintenance and mass phases with LISS). I hope no one sees this as me advocating no cardio. This was just an experiment to see if I could.
Unread 10-26-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
^ I think that 20-30 min 2-3x/wk is the sweet spot for cardio for health and balancing with lifting (I aim to do about that during maintenance and mass phases with LISS). I hope no one sees this as me advocating no cardio. This was just an experiment to see if I could.
That's what I do most of the time also. It works well. Sometimes I increase it for an aerobic base building and/or fat loss block (maybe once a year.) This is not required though.

Agreed that a cut without cardio can be done and many of us have done it. I don't think it's optimal though, for a number of reasons.
Unread 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM

Default Done it with success

My most "enjoyable" cuts have been without cardio until the end, and only then I introduced brisk walking, fasted, in the morning and after I was in single digit BF%. I just let the deficit do most of the work until I hit a sticking point, then add some "cardio".