BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Default RFL progress vs. conventional diets

For the past few weeks I've been doing a cat 2 RFL and have been making progress although nothing more than 2 lbs a week at most. I have about 15lb (out of ~30lb) of fat (if 17.5% BF I measured on 167lb at 6 ft is correct) to get to sub-10% where I plan to start a controlled bulk.

Consuming 180 grams of protein along with some veg as per the calculator takes me to a daily total of between 1100-1200 usually indicating around a 1000 kcal deficit. At six days a week that's 6000+ calories or close to two pounds (I'm excluding the maintenance weekly reefed day and I'm not doing free meals usually).

So what I am wondering about is other diets that supposedly give you two pounds a week (the purported 'safe' maximum): What are they and do they allow more flexibility than RFL with the same rate of fat loss i.e. around 2 lb/week.

Also am I doing anything wrong i.e. is my progress slower than normal?

Note: I am doing three days a week of lifting with lower volume as advised in the book and on these forums targeting the main muscles with a full body workout. Energy has been holding up somewhat although closer to the refeed the depletion becomes more obvious. Also strength seems to be holding up if not increasing in some cases. (i've been training less than a year and have very low LBM for my height i think)

Any input would be appreciated.
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM

At your weight (and maintenance calories), your results on RFL are what they should be; and obviously you're not going to be able to create the same deficit on any other diet without cutting protein and risking LBM loss.
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:41 AM

How is your 5 hour refeed going? Is it clean? And how was your diet before you started rfl ?
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shza View Post
At your weight (and maintenance calories), your results on RFL are what they should be; and obviously you're not going to be able to create the same deficit on any other diet without cutting protein and risking LBM loss.
Thanks for the input. was hoping to exceed 2lb a week of fat loss but i think you're right in that the math doesn't make sense. One possible way is to do cardio on the the three rest days but I am paying attention to Lyle's instructions to be careful etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja View Post
How is your 5 hour refeed going? Is it clean? And how was your diet before you started rfl ?
Refeeds are going great. I am following them almost perfectly now except for the 5 hour window extending for another couple of hours. I prefer it that way and I've researched on this forum and I believe Lyle himself may have said that the hours are less important than the macros and calories.

Refeed days are enjoyable especially when done right along with a refreshingly fueled workout. If you want the specifics I am going for around 2500 calories (accurate measure) with 180P and around 320-380C. Mostly they consist of coarse oats and white rice with some fruit thrown in between.

For the free meals I honestly don't have the urge to do them at all most of the time so I save them for those times when I have a social dinner, etc and the food choices are too confusing to stick to the plan so I make sure to find the right proteins and have a bit of the rest. I'd say once every two weeks at most and usually three weeks.

Overall quite happy with RFL. It is a plan that must be properly followed to be effective though and I learnt this the hard way the first time I tried it drinking protein shakes exclusively. In that case the problem is that the micronutrients are sorely lacking and you start to appreciate the basics of breathing, heart rate, warmth and a pulse!
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM

I think you should be more patient honestly...2lb fat loss per week is still very awesome progress and you could also be holding on to water weight as well after dieting heavy for weeks on end.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Lyle's Rule #982: Now matter how fast fat loss is occurring, everyone will want at least double that rate.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM

What I can't understand is that the RFL has cut out almost all carbs and fats from a persons diet, leaving just protein for the protein sparing effect. Great, we are all aware of this, right? How could we possibly speed up fat loss any further apart from cardio, which you've already mentioned! Then there's drugs but hey, good luck if you go down that road.
Unread 05-13-2017, 06:15 AM

Coming back to this old thread of mine after a few years and I have the following observation: I find it easier to lose fat on RFL than a conventional diet. It's harder to maintain a small deficit for a longer period than a huge deficit for a shorter period of a couple of weeks.

So I pretty much do RFL whenever I need to lose a bit of unwanted fat and then go back to a maintenance diet. I suspect others have found the same.
Unread 05-13-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkers View Post
Coming back to this old thread of mine after a few years and I have the following observation: I find it easier to lose fat on RFL than a conventional diet. It's harder to maintain a small deficit for a longer period than a huge deficit for a shorter period of a couple of weeks.

So I pretty much do RFL whenever I need to lose a bit of unwanted fat and then go back to a maintenance diet. I suspect others have found the same.
I found RFL to be absolutely the best approach while still above 11-12% or so. Many times I have tried it when close to single digits and after couple days things didn't feel great. Could be just a personal thing though.
Unread 05-13-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkers View Post

Agreed. It is just really frustrating to diet weeks on end for me with a small deficit.

Sometimes I eat with RFL protocol on 4 non workout days and add the carbs back in for 3 workout days... if im in the 20-25% range.

But once you get in that 15-18% range it's easier to rip the bandaid off then it is tone constantly be hungry

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.