BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM

Default full diet break for catogory 3 dieter

Hi,

I'm 32 years old, 5' 10" tall and currently weigh 265 lbs down from 463 following keto most of the way, took 2 years to do that but i had a serious accident in the middle of that period which left me with a herniated disc and a broken leg and about a year of bed rest and 3 month after that with limited activity so you can guess the damage that happened to my muscle mass and my metobolic rate. I've measured my body fat recently at 30% using bioimpedance scales (I know they're rubbish) but I think the real number is about 35%.

My problem right now is that my metabolism seems to have slowed down to a halt, i train my full body with light weights and high reps to aid in glycogen depletion 2 times a week and do medium intensity cardio about 3 hours weekly and after all that i can barely get away with 1800 cals/day without gaining weight which i think is very low given my weight and LBM.

I know that it was mentioned in the book that the full diet break is not needed for the category 3 dieters because their leptin and other hormones are not affected by dieting but in my case could the loss of almost 200 lbs have that effect even though i'm still at 35% BF? I'm thinking about having a break for 14 days or is that useless at this point?

I know it's a very long question but i'm extremely frustrated at this point
Unread 09-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Over what kind of time period are you measuring this "gain" at 1800 calories? Also, are you sure you are tracking everything 100% accurately? There's no way you should be gaining weight at 1800cal/day.

That being said, if you've been consistently dieting for 2 years (or even 12-16 weeks, really), it would be wise to take a diet break for both physiological and psychological reasons. This is obviously a very long term endeavor, and 2 weeks of not losing weight is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Unread 09-14-2016, 01:52 AM

I get weighed every week, and whenever my calories exceed 1800/day i start to stall or even see small gains,, and i'm a bit neurotic about that so after i eat anything i calculate the calories and add it to a note on my phone to have a complete list at the end of the day.

i know it's good for many reasons, but in guide to flexible dieting lyle mentioned that it's not necessary for category 3 dieters and that a refeed day is enough and that's what i do now but i just wanted to know if the full break could be beneficial to my metabolism
Unread 09-14-2016, 02:02 AM
Banned

Let me give you another perspective:
Even though your body MAY not need a diet break, you can still benefit from it in a psychological way. Reset everything and start a new dieting phase afterwards. A new journey sort to speak. Also, enjoy yourself a little during the break. To be honest, what is 2 weeks compared to the months you've still got ahead of you?
Unread 09-15-2016, 06:05 AM

I know that in the grand scheme of things, two weeks of no weight loss is nothing, especially for someone who's lost and still has to lose as much as i do, i just wanted to know if it will have any effect on my metabolism because it has slowed down ridiculously, for someone with my weight to be limited to 1800 calories is the fast track to crazy town !!

anyway thanks for all the help and i'll do it anyway, like you guys said, what's 2 weeks without loss anyway, right?
Unread 09-15-2016, 09:02 AM

Good choice. I was super reluctant to take my first one and now I make them planned into my cutting phases because they're so effective.
Unread 09-25-2016, 11:32 AM

I'll post essentially the same thing...do not underestimate how psychologically beneficial the diet break is. It helps you even before the break because you know you got a little diet vacation coming so it helps you with adherence. If you take a look at my log you'll notice that I had no planned diet breaks and I tried to diet perfectly at 1600 calories. Alas I kept failing but when I started making diet break plans my adherence improved 10 fold and now I have been consistently dieting for a while now.
Unread 11-14-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjr74 View Post
I'll post essentially the same thing...do not underestimate how psychologically beneficial the diet break is. It helps you even before the break because you know you got a little diet vacation coming so it helps you with adherence. If you take a look at my log you'll notice that I had no planned diet breaks and I tried to diet perfectly at 1600 calories. Alas I kept failing but when I started making diet break plans my adherence improved 10 fold and now I have been consistently dieting for a while now.
This. It really makes a difference.

1) People underestimate just how much it does
2) I usually take a break from working out as well to help refresh for when the next round of dieting happens