BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Psychophysical Effects of Music in Sport and Exercise:

Thought you might find this of interest. Interesting study. I wonder if working out or competing in silence has been studied ?

I suspect some might prefer silence... not me I need massive sounds on my nano ipod for the open road. Reminds me of the question on do you associate or disassociate during exercise.

http://eprints.usq.edu.au/4364/1/Terry-Karageorghis.pdf
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM

I read a short article on this a long time ago that also included a snippit on working out in front of mirrors versus not.

There is no way I could do cardio w/o my mp3 player. When I lift weights alof of time I prefer no music, meaning my mp3 player in my ears...I just listen to whatever the gym has on.

Last edited by BFLMichelle : 04-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLMichelle View Post
There is no way I could do cardio w/o my mp3 player. When I lift weights alof of time I prefer no music, meaning my mp3 player in my ears...I just listen to whatever the gym has on.
Exact same thing for me. When I'm doing cardio, I need some aural or visual stimulation to keep me going because the cardio is so incredibly boring (I'm talking 30-60 minutes of low-intensity steady state).

Weightlifting, on the other hand, is a different animal. A lot of times I'm so dialed in to what I'm doing that I don't pay attention to the music or to the people around me. I'll sing along to the music during my rest periods, though.
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I read a short article on this a long time ago that also included a snippit on working out in front of mirrors versus not.

Coming from a boxing/martial arts background mirrors are needed to see your form body mechanics or techniques/bad habits in form or to shadow box up against and see form.

When ever I introduced someone to jump rope or skipping ( as we brits call it) when the person watched themselves skip in the mirror it helped them see the rope turns and get an idea of the timing when and where the rope was in time and space and to jump . For other types the mirror threw them into some sort of left right hemisphere confusion and they had to not look into a mirror to learn skipping

However if the mirror gazing types spent too long like that it was as if they never developed the kinesthetic internal sensing mechanism for skipping without the mirror.

As a bit of fun I would get them to practise without mirror and then when they got that down...skip ( jump rope as you USA types say) with eyes closed to really get into that physical sensing mechanism.

One day a guy held the big sheild for a kick, I kicked him and he lost balance and staggered back in to what was for me slow motion time lapse bad dream sequence, as I could see he could not get upright balance as he tried over a distance of 10 feet to get his footing under him, only for me to realise ...he is heading backwards into the huge mirrored wall

Lucky for me he actually lost his balance and went down on his arse inches away from the huge mirrors....so yeh I have a lot of nightmares around mirrors
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:

I personally am much more motivated lifting in front of a mirror. Sometimes when I am not near a mirror doing a lift I feel tired/weak, then if I kinda look at myself in the mirror it kind of reminds me I'm a big guy and that I should be able to handle this weight easily.

Not sure what the study you read said about it, but I know for me just being able to physically SEE how big I am makes me FEEL stronger.