BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Extreme Shin Splints

Around 2010-2011 I ran like a mad man. I could do 6+ miles easily. No shin splints, or any sort of problem like that.

Fast forward to early 2012 where I started to pick jogging back up after a six month break or so. This is when shin splints started, basically for the first time ever. I've never really picked up LISS again because the splints start occurring so quickly it has become a rather inefficient form of exercise.

The tension in my shins builds up so quickly and so greatly to the point to where I have to rest for 5+ minutes until they're loose enough to jog again. Stretching my shins during this period is extremely painful, so I usually avoid it. It really feels like the muscle is going to tear.

BAD shin splints are now hitting me as early as a quarter mile into my jog @ 6mph. This is AFTER a few minutes of warming up and stretching. Sometimes I don't stretch. That doesn't seem to matter.

My shoes are extremely comfortable and ideal for running. The shoes I am running in now are the kind of shoes I would have ran in before. I have gone through several pairs of shoes and still had this problem, so it's definitely not the shoes.

Running on a treadmill, track, or cement does not matter. All of them yield shin splints almost equally as quickly (once again, as quickly as just 2.5 minutes into the jog.)
But for what it is worth, I feel like cement is actually more comfortable. This is strange, because it should probably be the opposite.

I'm out of ideas. I've tried breathing a lot; taking potassium and taurine; drinking plenty of water; etc. Are these stress fractures? If so, how could I have developed them so suddenly and why haven't they gone away over the months?
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Try: Stretch your calf, not your shin. Tight calf muscle can cause shin splints. Might not help, can't really hurt.
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM

I do stretch my calves.