BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM

Default Max Muscle by Brad Schoenfeld - Reviews?

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone here has had the chance to read Brad's book "Max Muscle." I trust so many of the opinions here, so I thought I'd come to the experts. I'm still following the New Rules Of Lifting (by Lou Schuler / Alwyn Cosgrove) templates, but was looking for something else to spark some renewed interest in lifting.

I definitely don't want to fall into the "Bro-Science" trap again, instead looking for sound, realistic programs written by folks that actually know what they are talking about.

Any input or reviews or opinions of the Max Muscle book will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM

If you are a beginner then a 5x5 program will serve you well until you're an intermediate.

An intermediate should do an upper/lower split and periodize their training (having a heavy 3-5 rep day for bench/squat and then a 8-12 hypertrophy focus/upper and lower days/different set of rep ranges - just one way to do it). 5/3/1 + some of the accessory exercises from the generic bulking routine can also work well. Or you can do the generic bulking routine as is. You should be hitting muscle groups twice a week or minimum once every 5th day. Naturals don't grow well on blasting a muscle once a week.

I haven't read this book/program but there's no such thing as a magic routine. It should be set up depending on your level of development and be based upon the big compound movements. So generally squat first on leg day and bench first on upper day. Read the muscle gain articles on the main site.

IMO following those principles is much better than copying routines from a book that gives a one size fits all approach to gaining mass.

Last edited by Zemix : 02-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post

I definitely don't want to fall into the "Bro-Science" trap again, instead looking for sound, realistic programs written by folks that actually know what they are talking about.

I haven't read the book (never heard of it) but take a look at Lyle's material. Realistic training advice for naturals.
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM

from reading the guys articles, he always recommended body part splits.