BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Default Flexible Diet from 10% to 6%

I decided to start a log (clearly). I hope to update it fairly regularly, however this may end up being the most boring log ever.

Current stats taken May 7th:

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 166.2 lbs.

Waist: 32" around the navel (however this has been 31.5" for months, I was a little bloated from eating a bit over maintenance for a few days before beginning the diet. So this may drop quickly the first week).

Ab skinfold: ~9.2 mm on average (again, this measurement is typically lower as well, usually around 8ish).

Maintenance from Fitbit (worn daily): ~3000 calories/day

Daily deficit: ~15% less than what the Fitbit says I'm burning each day

Diet: Flexible Diet. ~200P/200-250C/70-80F daily. I like to stack the majority of my carbs (rice and potatoes) around my workouts and have more fruit and fats during the day

No special diets here. I almost always eat healthy, not because I think it matters, but because I can simply eat more volume in healthy food. The only
"cheat" I have is some beers on the weekend, but those are fit within my macros. I'm going to try to flexible diet until I'm satisfied with my bodyfat.

I'm still holding fat in the lower abs, and definitely enough that I can grab on my lower back. I'm going to try a few weeks without anything special like the Stubborn Fat Protocol, but I will implement that if I feel it's needed and I'm stuck. I don't think I'm quite low enough in body fat yet.

Workout: Anything reverse pyramid is 10% less weight then the previous set, and one more rep

Monday:

Squats: 3 sets reverse pyramid, top set is 5 -6 reps
Weights chins: 3 sets reverse pyramid, top set is 6 reps
Weighted sit-ups: 2 x 12,10

Tuesday:

Run 5 - 6 miles (I like to run, and it allows me to eat more)

Wednesday:

Decline press: 3 sets reverse pyramid, top set is 6 reps
Seated cable rows: 2 x 5, 1 x 6 (10% less than first two sets)
Decline close-grip bench: 1 x 6
Inverted rows: Bodyweight 3 x 12

Thursday:

Run 5 - 6 miles

Friday:

Rack pulls: 2 sets reverse pyramid, first set 5 reps, second set 6
Hammer incline press: 2 sets reverse pyramid, first set 7 reps, second set 8
Decline close-grip bench: 1 x 6
Inverted rows: Bodyweight 3 x 12

Saturday:

6 mile run

Each day I get in at least 15,000 steps (~7 miles) Saturdays are usually over 20,000 total (I tend to have a few more beers on Saturday, allows some flexibility)

Already six days into the diet after 7 weeks at maintenance. There's been a rather huge and unexpected energy drop, hopefully that stabilizes. May need to include one weekly refeed, I'll play it by ear. Below are a couple pictures from yesterday morning. I'll try to take weekly pictures, and Wednesdays I will update weight/waist/caliper measurements.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 05-11-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Unread 05-11-2014, 11:17 PM

Well that's a great place to start as a before pic, I'll follow along.

Just a few questions I was curious about..

Why the choice to stay at maintenance for 7 weeks?

Have you cracked single digits in the past? Are you trying to get so low just for the challenge of it (and too look utterly shredded) or is there some goal or event in mind? Where will you go when you've hit your leanest during this run?

Any unusual supplements (ephedrine, etc)?

Quote:
but because I can simply eat more volume in healthy food
This is my approach as well, eating big has that certain satisfaction. But I do remember a while back when things started getting a little too out of hand during an extended cut without breaks, I just ended up craving many huge meals of lean proteins and veggies as a rule, anything smaller couldn't cut it. Couple weeks of simple carbs later and small meals were a possibility again. And during IF, forget about it.. that much volume in one go, develop pregnancy for a couple hours. Chiseled pregnancy, no less.

Anyway, good luck eh!
Unread 05-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah_k View Post
Why the choice to stay at maintenance for 7 weeks?
I had a hernia repair over two months ago, so I didn't have a choice. It was nice to bring everything up to speed though. One interesting note, my resting heart rate had cratered to the low-mid 40s before surgery as I was dieting. Climbed back up to mid to the high 50s consistently. After four days of dieting it's dropped back to the high 40s.

Quote:
Have you cracked single digits in the past? Are you trying to get so low just for the challenge of it (and too look utterly shredded) or is there some goal or event in mind? Where will you go when you've hit your leanest during this run?
Nope, not until recently. However, I've easily maintained the conditioning in the pictures above since about January. We'll see what happens beyond this....

I want to hit the 6 - 8% range, and try to maintain that. Not SUPER shredded, but perhaps a Martin Berkhan level of leanness to give you a visual idea (I'm not IFing at all though, I was just using him as an example). I want that extra lower ab and back fat off, my arms a bit leaner, the chest separation...etc.

Quote:
Any unusual supplements (ephedrine, etc)?
Nope. Ephedrine gives me crazy anxiety. Just a boatload of caffeine (coffee), vitamin D, multi, 6 x 1 grams fish oil, and 500 grams vitamin C (I don't feel I need the vitamin C, I'm just trying to finish the bottle).

Thanks for the compliments and encouraging comments!

Last edited by alcahuetej : 05-12-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Unread 05-12-2014, 06:01 AM

Only six days in and I feel a complete lack of energy, like I was run over with a truck. I was hoping to avoid refeeds for now, but I think I need one. Maybe today or I'll wait until Wednesday's workout. Try to make it at least a week. I may have to incorporate weekly refeeds at a lower bodyfat level. It's odd because before the surgery I felt fine, although Saturday's I was eating 500 - 1000 calories above maintenance due to a cheat meal. Kept things in check this Saturday. The other odd thing is it's only a 15% deficit, if it was larger I could understand feeling more run down.

Visibly though it looks as if I'm leaning out almost by the day, I can't imagine I have more than ~5 - 7 pounds of fat to lose to get where I want to be. Veins are starting to run all over. Hoping this diet is only a month or so.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 05-12-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:38 PM

I won't be updating this daily, but since my Fitbit report came in, I'll add it to the log.

Good workout today. Energy randomly improved after the first few hours in the morning. By the time I hit the gym I was feeling good. Chins felt great, squats were difficult, but not impossible. I hate squatting when I'm dieting.

My Fitbit report came in for last week (every day was a diet day except Monday of last week)

Average steps per day: 18,000

Average mileage per day: 8.86

Average calories burned per day: 3076

Deficit for the week: -2770

All of these should go up this week because I didn't run last Thursday due to an obligation. If I still feel good by Wednesday, I might rethink the refeed. I'll see what my weight is as well and make a decision.
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:01 AM

5/14/14 Update: Week 1

As I said earlier, Wednesday mornings I weigh myself and take waist/skinfold measurements. This is 8 days into the diet. I'll take pictures on Saturday mornings, which is when I typically take them.

Weight: 165.0 lbs.
-1.2 lbs.

Waist: 31.5" around the navel
-0.5"

Ab skinfold: 9.5 mm (average of 3 measurements) taken 1 inch to the right of the navel
-0.2 mm

All measurements are down, which is good. Activity was a bit higher this week, as a result I created a bigger deficit obviously, eating 15% below maintenance. I would have expected a slightly higher drop in weight, because I was bloated last week and slightly higher in weight than I had been. At the same time, I'm not eating low carb at all (300 grams yesterday) so there probably won't be huge shifts in water weight.

All weights in the gym were easily maintained, close to failure, but I felt there was about a rep in the tank for most movements. My energy has stabilized, and I don't feel like crap anymore, so I think I will not refeed tonight as planned. I'll save it for next week if I feel I need it. I'll stay at 15% below what the Fitbit tells me I'm burning for now, seeing as I had a 1.2 pound loss this week. I may try to increase activity a bit to slightly increase my deficit further. Anyways, here's hoping I only have to go to about 160 pounds to reach my goal.
Unread 05-15-2014, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up

Subbed since I ended 14 weeks of UD 2.0 and attempting Flexible Dieting.
Unread 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight79 View Post
Subbed since I ended 14 weeks of UD 2.0 and attempting Flexible Dieting.
Nice! If that's you in your avatar, you're in a heck of a lot better conditioning than I currently am.

Just calculated my cals/lb. I'm burning. Last week was 18.5 cals/lb. This week is tracking to go > 19 cals/lb. Being extremely active certainly makes flexible dieting a bit easier.
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Nice! If that's you in your avatar, you're in a heck of a lot better conditioning than I currently am.

Just calculated my cals/lb. I'm burning. Last week was 18.5 cals/lb. This week is tracking to go > 19 cals/lb. Being extremely active certainly makes flexible dieting a bit easier.
Yeah that's me thanks but that was after 14 weeks UD 2.0. I'm currently on maintenance cals this week. I love how you guys are able to estimate very accurately your caloric expenditure from cardiovascular activities. I don't have devices such as Body Bugg, etc.

Lol.... does doing CPR on my patients and running around the wards and ER count as highly active? =D
Unread 05-16-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
I love how you guys are able to estimate very accurately your caloric expenditure from cardiovascular activities. I don't have devices such as Body Bugg, etc.
You can't purchase a Fitbit where you are?

Quote:
Lol.... does doing CPR on my patients and running around the wards and ER count as highly active? =D
If you're working in the ER, I would bet you're north of 20K steps per day. In other words, you're burning a fair amount of calories. Although I checked your logs, you're pretty light too. I imagine you'd have a hard time getting over 3000 calories burned in a day at 150 lbs.