BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
I used to be about 100 pounds heavier. I am either actively gaining weight or losing weight. I am either eating way more food than I should or dieting. Unless my diet is strict and regimented it is completely off. If I don't have an exact idea of how many calories I should be eating or what I am eating, I will eat farrrr more than I should.
Congrats on your progress so far.

I understand struggling to find a happy middle ground. And the best diet is the one you can stick to.

That said I suspect that you could make it two meals a day without much trouble if you really want to.

1800 calories is a lot of food:

1 pound of grilled skinless chicken breast
1 pound of boiled white potatoes
1 pound of steamed broccoli
2 oz. of butter
1 big apple...around 10 oz.

= 1800 calories w/USDA nutrition data

That's over 3 and half pounds of food.

You might want to work on food choice and mindful eating...slowing down, not doing other things while you eat, checking in every 5 minutes or so to think about how you feel.

Getting a good grip on how much is "enough" and recognizing head hunger will do you nothing but good when it comes to maintaining.
Unread 12-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Eating one big meal per day might be causing your binge eating behaviour to some extent.

Maybe first you should concentrate on just eating some normal size meals throughout the day and practice being satisfied without having to eat much junk or eat everything at once. And not even worry about the weight loss to begin with
Unread 12-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Congrats on your progress so far.

I understand struggling to find a happy middle ground. And the best diet is the one you can stick to.

That said I suspect that you could make it two meals a day without much trouble if you really want to.

1800 calories is a lot of food:

1 pound of grilled skinless chicken breast
1 pound of boiled white potatoes
1 pound of steamed broccoli
2 oz. of butter
1 big apple...around 10 oz.

= 1800 calories w/USDA nutrition data

That's over 3 and half pounds of food.

You might want to work on food choice and mindful eating...slowing down, not doing other things while you eat, checking in every 5 minutes or so to think about how you feel.

Getting a good grip on how much is "enough" and recognizing head hunger will do you nothing but good when it comes to maintaining.
2 oz of butter with 1800 calories to spare seems..wise.

Here's 3 lbs for 600 cals.

https://imgur.com/yL0BYle

Last edited by w1cked : 12-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Unread 12-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
Do you have meetings of SMART Recovery in your area? They are free and use cognitive behavioral therapy techniques to deal with damaging behaviors. They are geared towards addiction but I attended meetings to deal with my compulsive eating and bingeing, and I found it immensely helpful. (They also have online meetings if they don't meet in your area.)

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

(Again, just what worked for me personally.)
I would feel kind of odd in a meeting like that focused on addiction. Partially because I kind of was a bit of a drug addict before I switched over to food. I guess as much of an addict as you can be to weed, but an all day every day habit for quite a few years. I might check one out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I want to stick to one meal a day because I feel like if I can make that normal eating at maintenance won't be as hard. Yes I will deal with hunger quite often but I won't have to think about "should I eat that" throughout the day. The binges usually start with thinking "should I eat that" and then somehow rationalizing it turning into a binge. I figure if I just say "no, I shouldn't eat that, it isn't part of my one meal a day" then I can avoid that pitfall.
Unread 12-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
I would feel kind of odd in a meeting like that focused on addiction.
I always felt very welcomed in my group. Not that I'm telling you how you should feel! Just mentioning that.

They do say at the beginning of each meeting, "We view addiction recovery as our own responsibility, and within our control. We teach self-empowering skills to help you build and maintain motivation, cope with urges, identify and solve other problems in your life, and achieve lifestyle balance in order to prevent relapse" and stress "Our discussions focus on how to abstain from any type of addictive behavior."

Anyway, best of luck to you! This stuff is hard.
Unread 12-13-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
2 oz of butter with 1800 calories to spare seems..wise.

Here's 3 lbs for 600 cals.

https://imgur.com/yL0BYle
Well now that you mention it I probably should have done less potatoes and more butter.

At 230# X .4 k OP is recommended to have 92 grams of fat and I only have 62 grams of fat.

Shorted him 6 grams of protein too.

The humanity...