BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM

Default The perfect diet for a proffesional athlete with fat loss goals

Im 22 years old and a professional soccer player, i also do weight lifting 2-3 times a week. im 180 cm, 84 kg and around 15 % BF. Ive bin following the Paleo low carb for some months now. During this time ive been trying different approches when it comes to calories and nutrition setup ( fat, protein and carb). My goal is to loose weight as in bodyfat % and to look better (model look). I want to get under 10 at least so that i can run even longer and faster when i play soccer. As i said, my goal is fat loss and not loose the muscles i have now. I dont want to be any big body builder because i want gain anything on the soccer field. I want to have a body like brad pitt in fight club. Just so you get a picture what im aiming for. During this period its also important that my performance dont drop to much ( causing to low calories or low carbs etc.). Ive been trying 1600-1800 calories for some time, splitting in 100g fat, 120g protein and 40g carb. My energi level and everything has been really poor. Its like my legs dont want to stand up and walk, maybe thats because of the low carb im not sure. But im really hoping for much help regarding my food and my training. So my questions are

I train Mondag - Friday at 10:00 in the morning. The sessions is for 1-2 hours. Saturday is a day off, and Sunday is match day.

I also consider IF the leangains way to be a good approach, 16 hours fasting and 8 hours of eating.
So i think my eating pattern should be. Eating starts after the soccer sessions, so around 12-1 a clock? and stops 8-9 a clock.

Also how should my eating window looke like in calories and how much from fat,protein and carb? what about PWO ? is it better to wait for an hour and then just eat a fat,protein and carb meal? or is the best to have a protein+carb shake right after training? of course i find it much better to eat real food since it taste a lot better, but its the goal that matters. So what do you think is the best?

When it comes to the meals, isnt it best to always start to eat the fat first? Not eating it all up, but lets say you have nuts, carrots and chicken for lunsj. Its best to start with some nuts and then mix it up as you like? since the main goal for Paleo low carb is to keep the insulin under control and fat doesnt do anything about it. Or doesnt it matter?

So how much should i be eating in calories and how much from fat, carb and protein. As you know soccer is a glycogen sport so i cant do to much without carb.

About fruit, ive heared that fructose isnt good at all. And from experience eating apples i feel kind of sick after eating one. I dont know why this is, i think apple tastes lovely but i think my stomach doesnt like it.

On sundays my match is at 6 a clock. So how should my eating pattern look like on this day to perform my best?
Unread 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM

hrmmm, where to start.

I can't answer everything so this is what I can tell you right now:

Your activity level indicates you should up your CHO intake. your performance would be improved.

Fructose in *real* fruit isn't a problem - its the 100's of grams of fructose you get from soft drinks and concentrated fruit juices etc that cause a problem.

The apple thing: I cannot eat some types of apples (bad reactions) - you might be sensitive or somewhat allergic to them.

To lose fat you need to be net catabolic, short of using chemicals you will lose SOME muscle to lose fat - so your goal would be to lose lots of fat and not too much muscle.

At lower body fats you may need to consider one of the cyclical diets (aka Ultimate Diet 2.0) for muscle maintenance while losing the fat, and to get to *really* low levels you will probably need the Stubbon Fat Loss Solution (caveat - I haven't read it yet).

There was an interesting paper done recently on timing of food around exercise that indicated food intake around the workout is good for the anabolic response, but if you do that you will minimize any possible fat loss.
Unread 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM

I think many people, using any number of Lyle's protocols, can lose fat without losing any significant muscle, perhaps none at all.

In RFL, for example. he says he has yet to hear reports of muscle loss from those who followed the guidelines strictly.

The impression I get from UD2.0 is that muscle loss is at worst minimal, or none is lost, or some is gained.

Add some EC and you may be able to lose no LBM.

I don't check body composition unfortunately, but what I can say is my strength has remained constant and/or increased while RFL'ing and UD2.0'ing.
Unread 08-05-2008, 03:39 PM

how should my macro split look like? is the best to use fat for fuel as in 50% + of the calories from fat?
Unread 08-05-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm not an athlete by any means, but I sure wouldn't think that a low-carb diet would be the best diet for a professional soccer player. Doesn't surprise me at all that your energy level has been poor.

Yes, we can derive most of our energy needs from fat (as an insulin resistant/carb sensitive person I count on it), but fat simply won't provide the turbocharging you need for intense, quick spurts of energy that you require in a game like soccer. (No, I don't play it, but I've watched plenty of games.) For that, you need a higher-carb diet.

Besides which, as has been proven time & again, it is completely possible to lose bodyfat on diets that are higher in carbs.

I.e., what's required for fat loss isn't low carb, but a calorie deficit. You can still eat enough carbs to sustain athletic performance, while having enough of a deficit to burn off some of that extra bodyfat. Make sure you also eat enough protein to maintain lean body mass.

-- Mel

Last edited by yksin : 08-05-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:13 AM

thank you. but regarding the calories. Should my body use fat as fuel? that means 50% should come from fat. And just upper my carb inntake so im having enough to perform on soccer? protein should be 1g/lb?
Unread 08-06-2008, 04:53 AM

You are beating this to death and on several forums! Pick something and run with it already. You have 2 weeks of research and you seems to be where you were when you started.

I've also seen that you've been told in several places that low CHO probably isn't the best approach for a Pro Soccer player. You seem like one of those guys that is going to keep asking the same question till someone tells you what you want to hear. You have been given good advice you just refuse to listen

Last edited by thegreatone : 08-06-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:02 AM

Physiological requirement: 0 g/day

Practical minimum to avoid excessive muscle breakdown: 50 g/day Practical minimum for individuals who function poorly in ketosis: 100 g/day

Note: all above values assume no exercise.

Additional amount to sustain low intensity exercise: minimal approaching zero

Additional amount to sustain weight training: 5 grams carbohydrate/2 work sets

Typically recommended amounts by bodybuilding experts: 1-3 g/lb (160-480 g/day)

Typically recommended amounts by mainstream nutritionists: 2-3 g/lb (320-480 g/day)

Average intake for endurance athletes: 5 g/kg or a little more than 2 g/lb (320 g/day)

Recommended intake for endurance athletes: 7-10 g/kg or 3-4.5 g/lb (480-720 g/day)

Practical maximum for non-carb loading individuals: 8.8 g/kg or 4 g/lb (640 g/day)

Maximal intakes for carb-loading: 16 g/kg or 7 g/lb (1120 g/day)

Quote:
Higher intensity cardiovascular exercise is a little bit harder to pinpoint in terms of carbohydrate requirements. At high exercise intensities (usually sustainable only by highly trained athletes), muscle glycogen can be depleted within 2 hours or so and this can represent 300-400 grams of total carbohydrate or so. Under less extreme circumstances, carbohydrate requirements won't be as high. And while current recommendations for endurance athletes are in the 7-10 g/kg (3-4.5 g/lb) range, studies show that most athletes consume closer to 5 g/kg (2.2 g/lb).
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/Art...manycarbs.html
Unread 08-06-2008, 05:42 AM

Have a look here this may give you some ideas

http://www.mealplansite.com/sports-f...ining-day.aspx

this links to an example food plan for a soccer training day (says football but its a UK site)

Also on the same website theres a food plan for match days.

I've played alot of soccer over the years and low carbs are not an option, as soccer is a carb hungry sport and high intensity. Carbs should be high otherwise performance and recovery will suffer badly.

Have a look at Lyle's articles Fat Loss for Athletes series on the main site, that should provide more detail.
Unread 08-06-2008, 06:47 AM

just wants peoples opinion before i start

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
You are beating this to death and on several forums! Pick something and run with it already. You have 2 weeks of research and you seems to be where you were when you started.

I've also seen that you've been told in several places that low CHO probably isn't the best approach for a Pro Soccer player. You seem like one of those guys that is going to keep asking the same question till someone tells you what you want to hear. You have been given good advice you just refuse to listen