BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-31-2018, 04:54 PM

Default 2/3rds rule on a cut...

Hi guys. Iíve been training about 4 years now, Iím 5Ē10, 187lbs and about 13% body fat

The last year or 2 Iíve been following AlphaDestiny on YouYube who I consider to be one of the more knowledgable YouTubers and not some aesthetics fake natty idiot.

He advocates full body 2x per week, one workout being strength focused and one being very high rep/volume focused.

Iíve been doing this for the last year or so (to be precise I do 2x upper body workouts per week - one strength focused and one volume focused, and then legs 1x pwk as I donít care for huge legs) and it seems to work well for me - wether or not itís the optimal way to train I donít know. But he preaches the hell out of it and I havenít noticed anything bad about it...

Anyway, my question; Iím on a cut now so if I were to reduce volume, given my current training has a whole volume day; I ignore I reduced volume by 2/3rds as Lyle advocates, would it be very bad for me?

Iíve been doing it for a while and not noticed any muscle loss and I didnít it for 3 months another time and also didnít notice any loss. I just wonder what the science says.
Unread 06-03-2018, 07:48 AM

For clarity, does AD recommend 2x full body for maintenance or just general training?

The 2/3 rule has been talked about many times on here and there's just not a whole lot more to say about it (though I kind of did anyway.. check the other thread.)

As far as whether or not ignoring the advice would be very bad for you, that's hard to say. Ability to recover is down while in a caloric deficit and this has a lot of implications. If you're only weight training twice a week, not doing an extreme deficit and not doing a great deal of other activity, you should be fine.

Even then, if you're not improving then it's debatable how useful the 'extra' volume above what is needed to maintain actually is.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 06-03-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Unread 06-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Cheers for your reply.

He recommends it for general training. As I mentioned though I do 2 upper workouts per week and 1 lower and I'm happy training like that.

Anyway my gut feeling based on experience (although not really specifically measured...) was that it should be fine so I'll go ahead with that.

These days I really lack the heart for high volume anyway... guess I'm getting lazy and content with where I'm at
Unread 06-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Gotcha. I did read the part about you doing 2 upper and 1 lower per week then forgot about it when I was making my response. Happens more often than I care to admit

That can be a good way to train though, depending on your priorities. It's also not a very demanding schedule so I don't see any major issue with doing it on a deficit either.