BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-18-2014, 06:07 AM

Default A few quick Q's on the UD2.0

Hi guys I finally got this book last week and got round to reading it last Sunday night. I read the entire book in under 1 hour and immediately began the routine yesterday (Monday).

I intend to re-read the book again today but in the mean time I would really appreciate answers to some questions/concerns.

Firstly the book mentions the depletion workout should take between 1-2 hours however mine was done in under 30 minutes! I honestly pushed myself to the max and am meticulous with my stopwatch timings! My routine below...

Back squat 3x15
Flat Bench 3x15
Barbell Row 3x15
Lateral Raises 3x15
Bodyweight dips 3x10
Overhead tricep extensions 3x15
Barbell curls 2x15
Calf raises with heavy rucksack 1x70

...all strictly 1 minute rest between sets and about 30-60 seconds rest between excercises.

..Then I rested for 8 minutes and did the entire routine again, just like the book said!

My second question is regarding carbs on depletion days. The book says to eat upto 50g of digestible carbs, such as wholegrain bread! Is this serious? Why, just why??

When I've calculated my macros at the end of the day I always come out with under 20g of carbs, and they are solely from the mass of leafy green vegetables and brussel sprouts that I eat, so in other words I don't eat any digestible starchy carbs whatsoever.

Is there anything wrong with this or should I be eating some digestible carbs, like starchy bread/potato during the depletion days?
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:29 AM

1) 8-12 sets for depletion. You only did 6? Huh?

2) It's about time under tension and getting the correct amount of volume. If you did it fast you did not deplete properly.

3) Why did you do back squats whiling depleting and not leg press? Dangerous and silly.

4) 1x70 calf raises? Why? Do you have no access to a gym?

tldr; you're doing too much wrong

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Based on your statement about rest periods, you rested for 28 of the 30 minutes you said the WO took. ??
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
1) 8-12 sets for depletion. You only did 6? Huh?

2) It's about time under tension and getting the correct amount of volume. If you did it fast you did not deplete properly.

3) Why did you do back squats whiling depleting and not leg press? Dangerous and silly.

4) 1x70 calf raises? Why? Do you have no access to a gym?

tldr; you're doing too much wrong
Hi there,

I do not have a gym, I workout at home. All I have is a bench, a pair of telescopic steel builders trestles which forms both my squat rack and my dipping station. It works fine! I have various dumbells and barbells, too.

I do 12 sets not just 6!!
If you look again I did say I repeat the workout after about 8 minutes rest hence 12 sets not 6!
That is exactly what lyle laid out in his book, or am I missing something here????

As for TUT most sets take me between 40-50 seconds to complete. I control the descent/negative on all my lifts.

As for dangeorous squats I was absolutely fine! It felt great, actually... admittedly my quads were shaking and wobbly after the 2nd and 3rd set which made racking the bar just a little bit tricky... but overall perfectly safe... besides I have no other alternative as I don't own a leg press machine!

I do a 70 rep set of calf raises wearing a rucksack loaded with 150lbs of sand, hung low so that all the weight is on my hips.. so it does a very good job of simulating a calf machine. I perform the calf raises on a builders trestle, and after 50 reps I use my arms to do 20 more assisted reps..... a thoroughly good calf workout if I may say so myself

@brad
"Based on your statement about rest periods, you rested for 28 of the 30 minutes you said the WO took. ?? "

Nope, work it out.....
....say each set lasts 40 seconds with approx 20 total sets within the entire workout that's only 8 minutes TUT then add on the rest periods between sets/excercises amounts to approx the remaining 15-20 minutes.

...so as you can see approx 30 mins for the entire workout, but because I perform said workout all over again not long after, then you could say 1 hour, however didn't lyle in the book say one depletion workout should last at least 1 hour, or did he mean that 1 hour to include BOTH consecutive depletion workouts i.e each one lasting half an hour???
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Assuming only 45 sec per set, as per the book, the total work time of your sets is 34.5 minutes at a minimum...
Unread 02-18-2014, 12:45 PM

It doesn't logically follow that you read the book and then performed the workout you posted. Unless you chose to ignore the suggested routine. Please try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3v View Post
Hi guys I finally got this book last week and got round to reading it last Sunday night. I read the entire book in under 1 hour and immediately began the routine yesterday (Monday).

I intend to re-read the book again today but in the mean time I would really appreciate answers to some questions/concerns.
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Hi there,
Nope, work it out.....
....say each set lasts 40 seconds with approx 20 total sets within the entire workout that's only 8 minutes TUT then add on the rest periods between sets/excercises amounts to approx the remaining 15-20 minutes.

...so as you can see approx 30 mins for the entire workout, but because I perform said workout all over again not long after, then you could say 1 hour, however didn't lyle in the book say one depletion workout should last at least 1 hour, or did he mean that 1 hour to include BOTH consecutive depletion workouts i.e each one lasting half an hour???
You have 21 sets listed there. You say you do it twice. So 42 sets total.

At 40 sec per set (which is less than the minimum you're supposed to be doing) that is 28 minutes purely of work, not even counting resting, nor the massive rest before the repeat.

Either a) it took you longer than 30 minutes, or b) you were going way too fast and taking much less time per set.

And each depletion workout Lyle describes is day 1 and day 2, not the repeat halfway through.
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM

I seem to be on a probationary status where my posts get reviewed before they appear, causing a big delay. very annoying!

I just finished day two of UD2.0 I did the workout I posted in my OP, two times. Again, am I correct in performing it twice or was I only supposed to do it once? In the book LM says "repeat twice" under his depletion workout routine.

I then performed 30 mins SS cardio then finished off with a bodyweight workout at the local park and I'm now feeling pretty light headed.

@Vagar
" Assuming only 45 sec per set, as per the book, the total work time of your sets is 34.5 minutes at a minimum... "

Yep it was 33 minutes in total, then I repeated the workout minus a couple of sets as I was simply exhausted, so about 1 hour in total for the two workouts back to back.

Also regarding the carbs is it not best to avoid all forms of digestible carbs despite LM allowing a 50g limit? Surely 0g of digestible carbs is better, then you can be certain you really are depleted of glucose?? All my "carbs" come from about 700g worth of sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and collard greens which amounts to about 20-30g of carbs, but you can hardly call them carbs in the sense of bread and suchlike!

Is there some reason why LM doesn't explicitly state 0g carbs per day? Is it muscle sparing to eat some starches during the depletion phase, maybe?? If anyone could answer this I'd be really grateful and maybe allow myself a slice of bread tonight!

Last edited by d3v : 02-18-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM

It'd be pushing about 90 minutes counting your breaks between exercises and the break halfway through.

Your wording in what the book says implies you're using a pirated copy of the book, so I don't know if I should say much more than that...there's been a lot of people using those lately, it seems like.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Is there some reason why LM doesn't explicitly state 0g carbs per day?!
Yes, and it's in the book! You should totally buy it and read it a few times.

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)