BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-30-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Chest Range of Motion in the Bench Press

I switched from barbell to dumbbell bench press because dumbbells allow a longer range of motion of the chest, which might train it more effectively. However, there are two problems for me with dumbbells.

The first is that my form is less good with dumbbells than with a barbell. My pressing path is less consistent and I find it somewhat harder to keep my shoulder-blades retracted at the top of the range of motion. The second problem is that since dumbbell press uses the triceps less, I need to do more isolation sets.

My routine is already quite long in my opinion because I train my whole upper body in each session. I prefer not to split it into push and pull because alternating opposing exercises is more time efficient in total and I donít like waiting long between sets.

I was thinking that if I did bench press with a close grip so that my arms are perpendicular to the bar at the top of the motion, it would allow full range of motion of the chest. The problem with this is that if the bar is lowered to near nipple level with the elbows flared, the forearms are not perpendicular to the bar and the wrists are in adduction, which I assume is a weaker position and therefore more stressful for the wrist and elbow joints.

Should the technique that I described definitely be avoided?
Unread 09-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Close grip is less chest and more tricep
Everybody has more balance issues with DB's

Better/greater range of motion is not inherenty better because the extra ROM is often not in/at the muscle you're intersted in.
Unread 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I was aware that close grip with elbows tucked to side of the torso uses triceps more than wide grip does but does close grip with the elbows at 45-60 degrees away from the torso use triceps as much as close grip with elbows tucked?

Also, do you think regular grip barbell uses more triceps than regular grip dumbbell as Saeterbakken et al 2011 suggested?
Unread 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudsghzdg View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I was aware that close grip with elbows tucked to side of the torso uses triceps more than wide grip does but does close grip with the elbows at 45-60 degrees away from the torso use triceps as much as close grip with elbows tucked?

Also, do you think regular grip barbell uses more triceps than regular grip dumbbell as Saeterbakken et al 2011 suggested?
Flaring your elbows during a close grip bench would entirely defeat the purpose of using a narrower grip, which is to target the triceps. The more tucked the elbows are the more work is put on the triceps.
Unread 10-02-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
Flaring your elbows during a close grip bench would entirely defeat the purpose of using a narrower grip, which is to target the triceps. The more tucked the elbows are the more work is put on the triceps.
The main reason that I was considering it was to get a fuller range of motion for the chest by allowing the arms to be perpendicular to the bar at the top of the movement. Lyle wrote that "extra ROM is often not in/at the muscle you're interested in", but I don't see how that would be the case for chest press.
Unread 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudsghzdg View Post
The problem with this is that if the bar is lowered to near nipple level with the elbows flared, the forearms are not perpendicular to the bar and the wrists are in adduction, which I assume is a weaker position and therefore more stressful for the wrist and elbow joints.

Should the technique that I described definitely be avoided?
seems like you already answered the question yourself.

Different exercises have different pros and cons and you can change them as needed.

If you want some time-efficient triceps work then you could do a myo-reps set. I'd advise against using it for close grip bench press and probably lying triceps extensions as well. But for pushdowns or machine extensions, it's a way to get some good work in a short amount of time.

Supersetting with another muscle group (e.g. biceps/triceps) is another option.