BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-25-2019, 11:39 PM

Default Cutting and Caffeine

As i get deeper into my cut, I find myself consuming more caffeine.

I've always been OCD about my caffeine intake, I do intermittent fasting so I'll use my fasting hours to regulate the amount of caffeine I consume and I don't drink anymore after breaking the fast.

Right now I'm at about 450mg a day. (300mg from starbucks, 150mg from monster according to Caffeineinformer.com. Also 100mg of theacrine, i like the synergy.)

According to Caffeineinformer.com, my safe daily dose is 408mg, which I've clearly exceeded.

My question is regarding tolerance and tapering, are there any guidelines anyone uses to determine caffeine intake while cutting and how to taper off when transitioning to maintenance etc.

Thanks
Unread 04-26-2019, 12:17 AM

Tapering from 400mg? Id probably suggest just switching to diet soda or tea. Personally I find tapers from things like that more frustrating than effective and usually opt to go cold turkey. If you go that route, make sure you always have some ibuprofen handy. Caffeine withdrawal can be brutal.
Unread 04-26-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post
Tapering from 400mg? Id probably suggest just switching to diet soda or tea. Personally I find tapers from things like that more frustrating than effective and usually opt to go cold turkey. If you go that route, make sure you always have some ibuprofen handy. Caffeine withdrawal can be brutal.
Yeah I'm worried about reaching tolerance and having to keep on increasing my dosage, so I'd prefer to cap it a limit while cutting and slowly go off when i'm done cutting.

I agree on the cold turkey, but my job is demanding so there's no way I'd be able to function going straight off, so i'm wondering what suggestions others may have
Unread 04-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Caffeine is one of the easier substances to taper off of and the body rapidly adapts to new levels (within days).

Just reduce the amount and/or strength of your caffeinated beverages every day until you get to a low amount, then stop drinking them. That should easily be doable within a week and you can put the first 0mg day on a day you're off from work.

Then start drinking coffee again when you please. It's caffeine, not alcohol-- which can kill an addict if he goes cold turkey, or heroin/meth/etc. Withdrawal from those are truly brutal (second-hand knowledge only).

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 04-26-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Unread 04-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Maybe its just me but I'll diet for a couple weeks at 400-600mg caffeine a day then go cold turkey when I do my diet break. I maybe have minor headaches.

Maybe go down 200mg a day until zero?
Unread 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Pff, 400 mg is morning coffee for most people.
Unread 04-27-2019, 04:17 AM

Those are rookie numbers.
Unread 04-27-2019, 06:58 AM

I have 450 mg of caffeine before 8 am. 1 200mg caffeine pill and coffee. Get to 1g a day and let’s talk.
Unread 04-27-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Maybe its just me but I'll diet for a couple weeks at 400-600mg caffeine a day then go cold turkey when I do my diet break. I maybe have minor headaches.

Maybe go down 200mg a day until zero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Caffeine is one of the easier substances to taper off of and the body rapidly adapts to new levels (within days).

Just reduce the amount and/or strength of your caffeinated beverages every day until you get to a low amount, then stop drinking them. That should easily be doable within a week and you can put the first 0mg day on a day you're off from work.

Then start drinking coffee again when you please. It's caffeine, not alcohol-- which can kill an addict if he goes cold turkey, or heroin/meth/etc. Withdrawal from those are truly brutal (second-hand knowledge only).
Thanks for being the only useful replies instead of bragging about how much caffeine you drink a day.

I found a weaning method from caffeineinformer which involves dropping by 20-30mg every 2 days, sounds slow but I'm genetically sensitive to caffeine so I'll try that and see how it goes since the wds kill my cognitive function.
Unread 04-27-2019, 10:32 AM

I never really dealt with any serious "caffeine withdrawals", other than some fatigue the day after stopping it. Hydration/Nutrition seems to reduce or prevent headaches and other symptoms.
However I don't take caffeine nowhere near as much as a lot of users do on here.

I never exceed 400mg's a day, take only for a preworkout, and take a 2 day break every week(since I strength train 5/week).

Find what works for you.