BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Default minimal amount of sets for muscle maintenance

Been out of the loop for the past year in terms of the research on this subject, but what do we know in regards to muscle maintenance and the amount of volume needed to maintain what we already have. i'll be lucky to get in the gym 3 times a week and i focus on getting 6-10 sets per week per body part. my strength isn't decreasing
Unread 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM

You can get away with 2x per week, 2 sets per bodypart each session.

The important part is maintaining intensity. If you keep it in the 5 rep range and eat sufficient protein you won't see any real dropoff unless you are doing too much cardio or have an active job or something

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-02-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
Been out of the loop for the past year in terms of the research on this subject, but what do we know in regards to muscle maintenance and the amount of volume needed to maintain what we already have. i'll be lucky to get in the gym 3 times a week and i focus on getting 6-10 sets per week per body part. my strength isn't decreasing
You can cut back by 2/3s your volume to maintain. Something like an ABA schedule doing upper/lower like that will be plenty. Check the stickies workout from Lyle in the RFL forum.
Unread 06-03-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
That's plenty to maintain, as you've seen. Either keep doing what you're doing or you could even cut back more. Keep good notes/records and adjust accordingly (e.g. if you cut the volume too much and slowly start to backslide, you can add a bit more volume and you'll have a better idea for next time.)

Either that or just follow the generic guidelines. It's pretty much universal that you can cut back weekly volume pretty significantly and still maintain gains but I still think it's useful to dial it in a little more personally.
Unread 06-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
The important part is maintaining intensity.

All that needs to be said. Don't worry too much sets, reps, and workouts per week.

Last year when I came home for the summer out of school I did nothing but bodyweight training for 4 weeks. All I did was make sure that whenever I did an exercise I did it until I felt fatigue and get sufficient protein.
Went back in the weight room and maintained most of the lifts. If I didn't get I the first day, I would get it in the second or third.
Unread 06-04-2018, 03:48 AM

What everyone else has said. Set up a minimalist workout. 2-3 heavy sets once or even twice per week per muscle group. If you have time, you can do tinkering for the little muscles at the end. If you want to save some time , myo-reps are VERY efficient time wise.
Unread 06-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanks guys