BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-16-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Are you doing 8 sets of deadlifts in each workout, or is that different each week?
No, that was this week. I started light, and my progression has been kind of jumpy. One week adding 5 lbs can mean dropping down reps. Another week it can mean I'm able to do twice as many as the week before. So I'm really feeling my way through it. I still don't have a great gauge on my intensity level, when I'm winded vs done, that kind of thing.
Unread 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post
No, that was this week. I started light, and my progression has been kind of jumpy. One week adding 5 lbs can mean dropping down reps. Another week it can mean I'm able to do twice as many as the week before. So I'm really feeling my way through it. I still don't have a great gauge on my intensity level, when I'm winded vs done, that kind of thing.
Got it. 8 work sets is quite a few for deadlifts while on a PSMF. I'd get your weights figured out, and then reduce the volume for now. But do whatever works
Unread 05-22-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
Got it. 8 work sets is quite a few for deadlifts while on a PSMF. I'd get your weights figured out, and then reduce the volume for now. But do whatever works
No, this turned out to be good advice. I didn't have anything in me for squats, two days later. I think my lower back was still exhausted. I axed the front squats altogether. This week I went conservative, and did 2x7 for my work sets. I'd been focusing squats, for my first ten weeks, and SLDL. The standard deadlifts are new.

A part I'm probably over-thinking: I'm doing my core work, the day after my workout. So my three day cluster looks like: 1) full-body push or pull, 2) core + LISS, 3) LISS or rest. Then I repeat with my b workout. I'm doing this just to keep my workouts a manageable length. Does this make sense? Or could I be shooting myself in the foot somehow?

Week 2 of the diet went well. I broke 200 on the scale, today, weighing in at 199.8. That's the first time I've been below 200 in I don't know how long - seriously, I never really weighed myself before quite a while after I started getting comments.

The free meals go a long way in maintaining sanity, while on the diet. My free meals have basically been the same as other meals, swapping in a cut of meat that's actually palatable. Being able to keep from getting on the nerves of everyone, when I go out to eat, is a nice bit of flexibility. One thing I don't understand is the book's sodium supplement recommendation: "3-5gr sodium, just sprinkle it on your food." So, 14 of those little packets of salt you find in any fast food joint. That ain't a "sprinkle."

Another thing I'm not sure of. This may've been talked about in the book, and I'm forgetting. The book says to use the lower category, in border cases. I started on the high end of 2, so I've been using three. The more weight I lose, the more I'll be 'just 2', going by the recs. So do I transition from one to the other? Or just press on, as is, and wait until after I've switched to maintenance for a while, and restarted the diet? Sorry if I'm being neurotic, working out an exit strategy is helping me maintain the diet.
Unread 05-22-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseEngineer View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start! I also started my first go at RFL last week at roughly similar stats (40yo, 216LB starting weight). I've been training for a while but diet hasn't been much of a priority for me so the fat started to outpace the muscle increases.

Have you taken psyllium husk prior to this and are you taking powder or capsules? I'm struggling to get enough fiber in and it's definitely affecting my movements.

Interested to follow your progress. Keep us updated!
I totally missed this.

I'm using powdered psyllium husk, and adding it to my shakes. About 14gr fiber per shake, although a decent amount of it ends up stuck to the sides of my shaker. I don't recall having used psyllium husk before. The only way I've really supplemented fiber before this was using ground oats in a homemade MRP. I don't see why capsules wouldn't work, I just haven't looked into them. Naturally they'll cost more than just the powder.
Unread 05-22-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
No, this turned out to be good advice. I didn't have anything in me for squats, two days later. I think my lower back was still exhausted. I axed the front squats altogether. This week I went conservative, and did 2x7 for my work sets. I'd been focusing squats, for my first ten weeks, and SLDL. The standard deadlifts are new.

A part I'm probably over-thinking: I'm doing my core work, the day after my workout. So my three day cluster looks like: 1) full-body push or pull, 2) core + LISS, 3) LISS or rest. Then I repeat with my b workout. I'm doing this just to keep my workouts a manageable length. Does this make sense? Or could I be shooting myself in the foot somehow?

Week 2 of the diet went well. I broke 200 on the scale, today, weighing in at 199.8. That's the first time I've been below 200 in I don't know how long - seriously, I never really weighed myself before quite a while after I started getting comments.

The free meals go a long way in maintaining sanity, while on the diet. My free meals have basically been the same as other meals, swapping in a cut of meat that's actually palatable. Being able to keep from getting on the nerves of everyone, when I go out to eat, is a nice bit of flexibility. One thing I don't understand is the book's sodium supplement recommendation: "3-5gr sodium, just sprinkle it on your food." So, 14 of those little packets of salt you find in any fast food joint. That ain't a "sprinkle."

Another thing I'm not sure of. This may've been talked about in the book, and I'm forgetting. The book says to use the lower category, in border cases. I started on the high end of 2, so I've been using three. The more weight I lose, the more I'll be 'just 2', going by the recs. So do I transition from one to the other? Or just press on, as is, and wait until after I've switched to maintenance for a while, and restarted the diet? Sorry if I'm being neurotic, working out an exit strategy is helping me maintain the diet.
how much core work are you doing? What does the whole week look like? If you are getting too confused, you can just go with what Lyle laid out, and worry about something different later
Unread 05-23-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Congrats on sub-200! That's gotta feel good to see. Totally agree on the free meals although I've decided to pass on them as much as possible to maximize progress. Also, I've found that it's easiest to deal with the sodium intake by incorporating it into everything when I cook it; egg whites, chicken and vegetable seasonings, and... well that's about all I eat I guess on this insane diet lol. Haven't tried putting it in protein shakes yet haha.

Thanks for keep this thread going, it's encouraging to see your work paying off!
Unread 05-24-2018, 02:13 AM

I guess it wouldn't kill me to give Lyle's prescription a shot, at least for the duration of the diet. It just makes me wary, as it reminds me of my workout at age 18, which I lovingly refer to as 'the year of no progress'. But I suppose, when I finally did switch to a split, I'd already had almost two years of full body workouts under the belt.

I'm 2.5 weeks into the diet. I plugged my current numbers into the calculator, and got very different recs than when I first started. I think I probably should have taken a series of weigh-ins, day one, and taken the lowest. Oh well. This time I'm not near the cusp of category 2, so I'm going to switch to category 2 recs, for the next week and a half. This just means another 50 gr of protein each day, "maybe" some periworkout CHO, one less free meal, and a weekly structured refeed. I don't know anything about structured refeeds. RFL points to either UD2 or Flexible Dieting, so I picked up Flexible Dieting.

My plan is to do this for another 1.5 weeks, take a two week maintenance break, then run the numbers again and run for four weeks after that. So ten weeks total. Ten week programs just agree with me, for some reason, so I'm reasonably confident I'll be able to see it all through.

Lyle's workout specifies 'ors'. I suppose I'll do an A and a B. So where he has 'bench press or incline bench press', I'll do bench one day, and incline another. And where he has 'biceps, triceps', I'll do a different variation on each day. Unless it's deal-breaking, I'll do squats & RDL on one day, deadlifts and leg extensions the other, whichever day I don't do rows. Would flat bench and shoulder press make more sense than flat bench and incline bench? I noticed that (shoulder press) isn't listed anywhere.

Anyway, I tried this tonight, with squats, not deads. Someone whose name I won't mention is very insistent on using a false grip, while squatting. I tried that, but, no matter where I put my hands, it felt unbearably awkward. A normal grip seems to work fine, but I don't want to develop any bad habits that are going to bite me in the I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post., when I move up to higher weights. Maybe it's my flexibility? I'm sure this isn't enough information to diagnose the problem, but, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I'll keep playing around with it.

I can scale back core to the recs. I'd been doing two ab exercises, two oblique exercises. The obliques are what really stretched things out, since those are unilateral. Part of that was just not having settled on exercises that really felt productive, so doing more.

That's about it. I'm actually really pleased with the progress that I'm making. Something tells me that I won't notice any change in my girth until the final leg of the diet, but I'm okay with that. Right now I'm noticeably leaning out, elsewhere, and I figure that eventually my body's going to have no choice but to tap my stubborn fat stores.
Unread 05-24-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterpriseEngineer View Post
Congrats on sub-200! That's gotta feel good to see. Totally agree on the free meals although I've decided to pass on them as much as possible to maximize progress. Also, I've found that it's easiest to deal with the sodium intake by incorporating it into everything when I cook it; egg whites, chicken and vegetable seasonings, and... well that's about all I eat I guess on this insane diet lol. Haven't tried putting it in protein shakes yet haha.

Thanks for keep this thread going, it's encouraging to see your work paying off!
Hey, that's more variety than I've got going. I've been foregoing the egg-whites, just because it's a pain to separate them, and it would take too many to hit my target. I'm theming my meals: chile chicken, persian chicken, smoked chicken, chicken and salsa, etc. There are a lot of different ways to cook chicken.
Unread 05-27-2018, 03:27 AM

My weight jumped back up to 200 on the nose, and sort of sat there for a few days. Nothing changed with my diet, so I think maybe it was creatine-induced water-retention, or something. Not going to panic over a few days.

I took a crack at my first refeed today, and wound up royally borking it. I think cheeseburger sliders is probably exactly what the book meant when it said not to use it as an excuse to eat crap. I didn't take a free meal, this week, so I'm counting those as my free meal and otherwise did the refeed as instructed, albeit using the low-end recommendations for carb intake. I think that's probably stretching prescriptions, on all fronts, but a bad day is still one bad day, in three weeks of dieting. Related: the thought of eating 450g CHO in good carbs (the upper recommendation) is frankly sickening, after struggling to reach the lower rec. Geeze.

Tonight was my deadlift-variation full body workout, which I was happy to do, all carbed up. I bracketed the five hour refeed around my workout. Showed up to find that my gym's just acquired a trap bar, which I'd always wanted to try. Did a set with it, after my barbell deadlifts, felt stronger. Not needing to balance the barbell is very noticeable, and my grip didn't feel nearly so much like the limiting factor. Not really sure how to use this in my programming. I've read a handful of articles that say they're better for beginners. Better in an "you can be lazy and worry less about learning the lift," sort of way, or better in some other way? Unloading the thing was a pain.

Overall still feeling good, if a bit plugged up. I'm getting quite a bit of both roughage and psyllium. Running a race next weekend, the last day before I start my two week diet break. It's just a 5k, so I'm not doing any special training, and probably won't do anything for it, diet-wise.
Unread 05-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Default Progress

Congrats on the progress so far.

However, right now you are suffering from what 90% of us suffer from when we start training/dieting.

You are majoring in the minutiae.

Push, pulls, splits, intervals, supplements, etc...

You don't need to worry about all this stuff yet. You will get stronger by simply picking your nose. Fat will melt off simply by not eating doughnuts.

Relax. For the first 30 days ALL that matters is eating healthier, building muscle memory with correct form, increasing your work capacity, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY NOT GETTING INJURED.

Running on your days off between weightlifting at your current body weight is a really bad idea. You are going to cause a hormonal crash and/or injury.

Do a FULL body workout 3x per week. Mon/Wed/Fri. or Tues/Thur/Sat. Whatever works for you but it needs to be 3 non consecutive days while training your entire body.

You are far too weak at the start of training to start with a bodybuilding split. You are shorting your gains tremendously. You want to hit EVERY bodypart 3x per week. The weights you are starting with are barely taxing your central nervous system so you will be fine.

Also now is the time where you can make magic happen and gain neural strength while losing fat AT THE SAME TIME.

Don't even think about bulking. Eat healthy and lose fat. Make sure you get enough protein to support muscle growth and recovery. Eat enough carbs for recovery but make them mostly complex.

Speaking of recovery. Walking and stretching is EXCELLENT for recovery. Walk 30-45 mins and do 30 mins of stretching... That's all you need... sign up for yoga if so inclined... running is not the answer. Running is not a good long term fat loss solution. And its a horrible offset to strength gains.

Lastly, look into Anterior Pelvic Tilt. If you're overweight and work desk jobs I can about guarantee you have it and will need to correct it. It will probably take 6 months but that is what is going to prevent you from getting injured (particularly pulled hamstrings).

Good job squatting and deadlifting. If you can do those two exercises safely they will aid with fat loss more than running will.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.