BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-06-2018, 04:34 AM

Yes external rotation on your shoulders feels great. There's also a lot of stuff about hip rotation if you watch videos on youtube that will give you relief.

Rotator cuff work and face pulls especially helped me a lot and made many exercises comfortable that used to hurt to perform.

Stick with the yoga for awhile. It's a great calorie burner actually and it will really pay dividends rapidly.... great way to learn some good long term stretches even if you don't ultimately decide to do it long term.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-06-2018 at 04:40 AM. Reason: a
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:32 AM

Going through some kind of diet withdrawal. For some reason, ramping calories back up has made me generally irritable and impatient. Wound up spending over two hours at the gym, trying to work out the aggression.

My left shoulder has been extremely tight, the past few days. Not really sure what that's all about. I added facepulls to tonight's workout, hoping that would help. Did a lot more stretching, in general. Tried to work in the stretches from the Cressey article. Some of them, at least.

Did snatchgrip deads instead of standard deads, tonight, per Caveman No More. Dropped the weight down considerably, from my standard deads. Was very easy, but found that my glutes tired out more quickly than I would have thought. I guess that means it's something I should be doing.

My weights are going up again. Which is cool, because they didn't really go down while I was on the PSMF.

Still reading the Kelley Starrett book. Haven't really gotten past the salespitch component of it, which apparently extends quite a ways.
Unread 06-09-2018, 03:33 AM

Did a bodyscan. 27% bf @ 201.0. Kind of scary, considering that I've lost weight. I think I'm going to go the soft deficit route, and settle in for the long haul, rather than launch into a second round of PSMF. My reason for this is that I've only been lifting for three months, and I'm worried that too severe a cut won't afford the soft tissue development that I need to keep me injury free.

One trivially curious result of the scan is that my right arm (forearm and bicep) are each a full inch larger than the left. The reason this is curious to me is that my left arm seems considerably stronger. If I do dumb bell presses to failure, for example, after the right's failed, I can still go one full set further with the left. Anyone know why this might be?

Workouts have felt great, since bringing carbs back into the picture. Something else seems to be going great, too. I don't know what, since I've changed so much this week. But for some reason squats tonight were better than they've been. I had a lot less trouble getting into and out of the hole, at weight, than usual. I could feel it in my upper glutes, more than usual, so I think working on activating my glutes might be showing some early benefits. Whatever it is, I like it.

Something not good: my knees are unstable when I squat. Wobbly. I have no idea if this means my foot placement is bad, if it's related to my bad posture, or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Unread 06-09-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty McFatso View Post
I had a lot less trouble getting into and out of the hole, at weight, than usual. I could feel it in my upper glutes, more than usual, so I think working on activating my glutes might be showing some early benefits. Whatever it is, I like it.

Something not good: my knees are unstable when I squat. Wobbly. I have no idea if this means my foot placement is bad, if it's related to my bad posture, or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The glute activation exercises show immediate results. Keep doing them. Squatting without glute activation is pretty silly. The hamstring ball curl is probably helping as well. Those muscles have really poor activation because you sit on them all day.

The knees could be several things.

1) Try a fairly wide stance and turn your feet outwards. Your knee should be going over your toes when you squat. Turning your feet outwards will help you achieve proper depth in your squat. You want to be going slightly below parallel. Drop the weight until you feel comfortable at this depth. Anterior pelvic tilt may make this extremely difficult or impossible at first so you need to really focus on improving quadricep flexibility and hamstring strength.

2) No doubt Your thighs are probably significantly stronger than your hamstrings which will cause knee instability. Dropping the weight and going slightly below parallel will allow your posterior chain to catch up to your quad dominance.

3) Placement of the bar on your back. Most people have more success with the "low bar squat" . It gives you a much more palatable position at the bottom and more knee stability

My recommendation is to buy the book "starting strength" and review squats carefully. drop the weight temporarily on squats and totally rebuild your form. It will probably save you an injury or two, which is critical for long term success. The bookk is extremely cheap and probably one of the best values you'll ever find for starting a weight training program

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-09-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add
Unread 06-10-2018, 03:29 AM

Farmer's walks and LISS tonight. First time really doing farmer's walks since starting the PSMF. Added 10 yards to my previous best carry, so I'm happy about that. Thinking about doing a day of just carries. LISS was LISS.
Unread 06-12-2018, 04:15 AM

Lifting, tonight.

Squats are improving. For some reason I was getting up onto the outer edges of my feet, off of my big toe, and I guess that's why my knees were wobbling. No more squatting in running shoes.

My left shoulder hates me. Particularly when I do close-grip bench, although it's so far back in my workout that I suppose any number of things could be the source of aggravation. I feel like one thing that I'm really missing right now is some kind of PT evaluation to identify any problems that I'd be better off addressing, at the outset. In his, 'Training Beginners' series (I've already forgotten the actual name), Lyle says something to the effect of, "I'm assuming that there aren't any structural problems that would preclude taking a balanced approach, which isn't always a safe assumption," and then launches into said balanced approach. My question right now is, how, as a trainer (or, in my case, someone self-trained) do you go about determining whether that assumption is valid? I would think that there's some kind of series of exercises that you can run through, like a testing day, to make sure that there's nothing obviously wrong. Basically I just want some peace of mind to know that I'm okay with soldiering through this thing, instead of aggravating something that could turn to injury.

Everything else is basically peachy. I need to rerun my diet numbers, now that I have a bodyfat percentage to plug into the calculator. And figure out what to do with that. Seems like with a bf percentage that high all I have to worry about is getting adequate protein, and not going overboard with the other macros, and I should lose some fat while gaining some muscle.
Unread 06-16-2018, 03:33 AM

Weights. Here's my workout, since I seem to be settling into it.

squats 3x10
leg press 2x10
bench press 3x10
cable row 3x10
bent over lat raises 2x10
preacher curls 2x10
close-grip bench 2x10
cable crunch 2x15
face pulls 2x15
saxon sidebends 2x10
external rotator stuff

2' rest for the big lifts, 1' rest for the small ones.

I do that Monday and Friday. Wednesday I replace squats with snatch-grip deads, and close-grip bench with laying tricep extensions. Saturday is my fun day: currently farmer's walks, zercher holds, turkish getups. Stuff that I do just because I enjoy doing it. LISS on T, Th, Sat.

I put the leg presses in there because I was unsatisfied with my squats. Right now I'm very satisfied with the progress that I've been making on my squats. I'm not sure if it's on account of frequency, the addition of leg press, the GPP I've been doing on my off-days, or some combination. But the poundage keeps increasing, and my form's stabilizing, they look and feel better.

I want to work RDLs into my workout. Where the leg press is. But my lower back's been feeling hosed, after my squats. Sadly, no access to a ghr bench, and I can't do the pulldown machine ghr hack because that would have me faceplant into a concrete pillar. I feel like hip movements are under-represented in my workout. But I wonder if the problem won't take care of itself, now that squats are starting to work.

Diet hasn't been terrific, though the number on the scale's remained the same. When I have lunch, I have trouble getting to dinner. Then end up binging pwo, and eating in my sleep. So I'm toying with the idea of giving 16/8 a shot: dinner, periworkout, and a meal post workout seems pretty manageable. 2500 kcal would put me at a 500 kcal deficit, which I could hit by zeroing fat at periworkout, and erring on the conservative side with carbs. I'm fat as I-did-read-the-rules-post right now, so I'm not too too worried about anything fancy in this department.

I'm trying to build my discipline with foam-rolling and the such. That's going less than well. I've been working on the warrior pose and the such, but my balance sucks.
Unread 06-17-2018, 03:36 AM

Fun workout today. Basically just a bucket for things I come across, and think look like fun, that don't otherwise fit into my program. Otherwise I get antsy.

Used the trap bar for farmer's walks, tonight. Not quite as easy to manage as kettlebells, but the heaviest kettlebells my gym has weigh 88 lbs. My carries with the trap bar went 30, 20, 20, 20, 10 yards, with my grip barely lasting on the last. That's pretty much exactly what I was shooting for, weight-wise, so I'm happy.

Then Zercher holds. 3x30 seconds each, on these. I threaded the barbell through a 10kg log, trying to make it easier on my arms. This turned out to be kind of cumbersome. I like the exercise, though. One of those exercises that doesn't seem like it's really doing anything, until I find myself counting every second on the last set. Great stuff.

Read an article today on t-nation about light weight kettle bell carries for distance. The idea is to maximize TUT, for the sake of grip training. Sounded like a good way to round off everything, so I did that. Unfortunately, I only made it 1'15" before I had to set down the bells, making it a difficult reference carry to derive work sets from. But I have a week to think about it.

And Cressey's GPP, with 20' LISS to cap it all off. For some reason I really just wasn't in a LISS mood.

My left shoulder is still - I think it might be impinged. It's definitely not happy with me, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and I'm not having any trouble lifting through it. I'm still just hoping that band pullaparts and facepulls will take care of it.

Diet worked out. Lyle's calculator has me at

Quote:
Daily Maintenance Calories:
3030 kCals/day

Protein Per Day:
220.5 g

Carbs Per Day:
283.8 g

Fat Per Day:
112.5 g
So I'm trying the 16/8 thing, with my workout right smack in the middle of the 8. Dinner, periworkout, postworkout / bedtime meal. Because I'm lazy I'm dividing the macros evenly, then excluding fats from peri and carbs from post, to put me at a deficit. Having to figure out fewer meals is pretty great. Going to give this a shot, for a while, and see how it goes.
Unread 06-19-2018, 02:32 AM

Lifted, workout posted above.

Increased poundage on the squats, still got my sets and reps, still felt good. Increased poundage by 20 on the leg press, still felt good. I do one set with high foot placement, one set with low. Both felt fine, like I could probably increase the weight without too much trouble.

My bench press seems like it might be stuck. Not really sure what's going on, here. I do know my left shoulder is dropping more quickly than the right - not by much, but consistently. The left is the shoulder that's been bugging me, especially on horizontal pressing movements. In the past, I've gotten over stalls in bench (which I don't think I've ever been any good at) by switching over to weighted dips for a while. Right now I'm not sure I'm good for even bodyweight dips. I could dial the weight back, focus on form, and hope to blast through the sticking point. Or I could accept it, and switch to incline hammer press, for a while. It's possible that I'm just giving myself unnecessary ****, because my lower body is making progress and my upper body is not. Going to see how the rest of the week goes.

Everything else was fine. Until the end. Either my shoulders, obliques, or both, just wanted nothing to do with saxon side-bends, by the time I got to them.

I replaced my usual pwo carbs with a chocolate chunk brownie. It was glorious.

I found one of my old beginner workout journals, over the weekend. Comparing it to my current made me sad. Oh well. At least I saved myself a decade of wear and tear on my joints.
Unread 06-20-2018, 12:29 AM

LISS. It was boring.

Weighed in at 199.0 this morning. I weighed myself MAYBE once a year, before I started exercising again, so I space on it pretty easily. Maintenance dieting, so this shouldn't really change, just fluctuate.

That said, I'm not really maintenance eating. I'm "maybe" maintenance eating, and hopefully not shooting under by too much.

Did some reading. My shoulder issues scream 'impingement'. I've been doing band pull aparts all day. Going to swap barbell bench with dumb bell.

Last edited by Fatty McFatso : 06-20-2018 at 12:34 AM.