BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Default Should diet breaks from keto follow the same guidelines as breaks on any other diet?

Title pretty much sums it up. If on keto do you need a two week don't break to keep fat loss going? Keto websites are serious about staying in ketosis basically forever.
Unread 05-15-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Title pretty much sums it up. If on keto do you need a two week don't break to keep fat loss going? Keto websites are serious about staying in ketosis basically forever.
Ketards... No wait keto advocates can be a bit extreme when it comes to the diet. Being in ketosis is not even required to see fat loss. The only thing different about the break would be to not consume a massive amount of carbs at the start of the break because you will experience a "carb coma".
Unread 05-15-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Well first they (you) need to explain what magical fatloss being in ketosis brings so that it needs to be maintained 24/7/365.
Unread 05-15-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Well first they (you) need to explain what magical fatloss being in ketosis brings so that it needs to be maintained 24/7/365.
I'm not going to do keto. Family members are interested and I wanted to give them good info.
Unread 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Most Keto enthusiast sites are full of crap. Don't get me wrong, I like very low carb diets a lot and have found them personally to be effective for weight loss. But to the extent they're effective, it's because it's harder to overeat on meat and vegetables. There is no magic to ketosis, no magic to staying in ketosis, and no reason you can't treat it like any other diet that reduces caloric intake.
Unread 05-17-2018, 09:14 PM

Presuming these family members aren't particularly educated on diet and nutrition and are wanting to try the new hot diet...

Diet breaks may never even become a real issue because a lot of people won't stick with it that long.

But if they do stick with it and stop losing weight chances are pretty good that rather than needing a break due to some kind of adaptation they actually have just reached a point where they are eating at maintenance and need to eat less.

At least this is what I figure happened to me with low carb. I counted my carbs. Lost maybe 20 pounds. Then nothing...stalled for weeks. Man on the diet with me kept losing...probably because he was a 6' ish tall man.

For fun let's say that they do stick with it long term and are actually staying in a deficit. Could use a break. But could be that taking a break from keto means a really long break, as in "I did really good losing weight on keto before" said some years later. So unless they have really good control or just LOVE keto probably best to bump up to maintenance, but stay in keto.

Can say from experience after a long spell on low carb - corn on the cob is crazy good...like candy sweet crazy good. And bread is like cake. I know bread in the US is kind of like cake anyway, but seriously...like eating cake.
Unread 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Yeah, this is a good point. A lot of this advice is for people that are very far along on the discipline/success curve.

I think that one of the articles said that the average weightloss for people on ketogenic/very low carb diets for a year was like six pounds. Which is to say (like most diets) most people don't stick to it well enough to lose a ton of weight.
Unread 05-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Yeah, this is a good point. A lot of this advice is for people that are very far along on the discipline/success curve.

I think that one of the articles said that the average weightloss for people on ketogenic/very low carb diets for a year was like six pounds. Which is to say (like most diets) most people don't stick to it well enough to lose a ton of weight.
Well typical keto dogma is to stay in ketosis and keep your carbs under an arbitrary number and you can eat all of the fat and protein you like and lose weight. So makes sense that their fat loss sucks when you're eating pepperoni sticks and the fattiest cuts of meat possible.