BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Reverse fly with external rotation for side delts

Would reverse fly with external rotation be an effective side delt exercise for hypertrophy?
Can it be used as a primary side delt exercise?

https://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...arLateralRaise

According to this study it should be nearly as good as lateral raises in terms of effectiveness. However, it never gets mentioned as a viable alternative to lateral raises or upright rows.

"Figure 1: EMG activity of anterior, lateral and posterior part of the m. deltoideus during selected exercises relative to the military press (anterior), the DB lateral raise (lateral) and the DB reverse fly (posterior); calculated based on data from from Boeckh-Behrens & Buskies (2000)"
Unread 05-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Shoulders are complicated. This is amplified because people use terms to mean different things as it relates to the exercise. For example I like the hand/shoulder positions that Brad Schoenfeld used in his study-- basically pronated grip and neutral grip (thumbs up*) which I'd consider to be internal and neutral rotation, respectively. Terminology varies on this.

I say thumbs up because I've seen instances where 'neutral grip' refers to IMO a dangerous amount of internal rotation, where the parallel handles are used but with thumbs down (this is actually shown in different exrx link.)

The exrx linked here is actually kind of an unusual setup. The shoulder position looks more in line with a typical pronated grip but the guy is using the parallel handles with supination of the forearm.

Then you have to compare the importance of EMG data versus what is actually in line with the resistance. It is true that as you do rear delt flyes with neutral and then external rotation, the lateral delts are brought into play more. I don't think it's a substitute for a true lateral delt move though, despite what this EMG data suggests.

I have done overhead press + neutral grip rear delt flyes as sort of an abbreviated (2 exercise) shoulder routine before, but had lateral raises elsewhere in the program.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 05-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Unread 05-20-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post

I say thumbs up because I've seen instances where 'neutral grip' refers to IMO a dangerous amount of internal rotation, where the parallel handles are used but with thumbs down (this is actually shown in different exrx link.)
You mean thumbs facing each other? I have a machine fly and it has these little two handles that are attached horizontally to main handles. Here's a picture actually.

It's best way to do reverse fly IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seated+Reverse+Fly.jpg (24.6 KB, 26 views)
Unread 05-20-2018, 05:18 AM

Yeah that's a good way to do them and what I'd consider standard. Rear delts are in line with the resistance, and it's a safe degree of internal rotation.

There's also the way Brad recommends doing them in his study, using parallel handles, thumbs facing up, shoulders in relatively neutral rotation. Also safe. Some interesting shifts in emphasis of a few muscles (but going by EMG data.)

Then there's what I consider the non-safe parallel grip that I was describing-- parallel grip, thumbs down, shoulders internally rotated to a rather uncomfortable degree. e.g. https://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...rseFlyPronated
Unread 05-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
)

Then there's what I consider the non-safe parallel grip that I was describing-- parallel grip, thumbs down, shoulders internally rotated to a rather uncomfortable degree. e.g. https://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...rseFlyPronated
Yeah, that's goofy.
Unread 05-30-2018, 01:23 PM

definitely not a fan of that internal rotation for the rear delt flys