BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM

Default carb load on a low carb diet

Hi,
i've read lyle's artical about carbloading on the ketogeneic diet.
As he wrote, when you carb load you "desrve" to eat almost double your maintaince calorie becuase your gycogen tanks are empty.

i am 25 years old and after some years spent in gyms, i am now in a place in my life where i want to maintain my body and feel good and healthy.
i pretty much eat the way lyle recomended in his Guide to flexible dieting: lots of lean protein + Fibrous Vegetables and i am at about 100-150 carbs a day at most. works great for me, lots of energy.
when i eat this way and train, after 3-4 days i can tell my glycogen level is low (thinner skin, i feel less fresh while running and have a more desire for sweet foods).
so my question is: although i am not on a ketogenic diet, it's still relatively low carb diet and my glycogen stores are on a negative balance.
can i still implement a carbload/refeed of like 200-250 and be in a caloric supralus without the fear of gaining fat? (taking in to account to eat low fat in this day/specific meal)

thanks a lot!
Uri.
Unread 05-22-2018, 05:44 AM

***200-250 grams of carbs
Unread 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Yes if your glycogen stores are not full then you can eat carbs to refill them.

Just make sure you are concentrating on complex carbs that will store as glycogen instead of simple carbs that will break down to sugar and store as fat if not burned. Also, don't introduce much fructose.

If, you're worried about it keep your fat intake relatively minimal on recarb days. And start a recarb after a good weightlifting workout.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-06-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Yes if your glycogen stores are not full then you can eat carbs to refill them.

Just make sure you are concentrating on complex carbs that will store as glycogen instead of simple carbs that will break down to sugar and store as fat if not burned. Also, don't introduce much fructose.

If, you're worried about it keep your fat intake relatively minimal on recarb days. And start a recarb after a good weightlifting workout.
What a brilliant mind. Simple sugars like glucose won't fill glycogen at all, right? Damn, why cant I be super smart like this
Unread 06-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
What a brilliant mind. Simple sugars like glucose won't fill glycogen at all, right? Damn, why cant I be super smart like this
Haha. Uh oh. I think the complex carbs break down into something much more complex than glucose... can't put my finger on the molecule, however... It'll come to me, eventually.