BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
I only watched the first season or two of survivor but there was a guy on there named like Colby or something. Texas type matthew mcconaughey type dude. He lost an unreal amount of muscle during the show and he was always complaining he was starving.

I think it's pretty clear that guys who are muscular and lean are going to fare horribly on a starvation diet.

Whereas an obese person has massive amounts of free fatty acids in their bloodstream to burn as energy.
Well I know this is different but George's St Pierre, one of the best MMA fighters of all time and an all around lean and muscular guy, said that he has gained muscle and lost fat while maintaining weight over the past five months from intermittent fasting. He said that he had his muscle and body fat analyzed in January and a few weeks ago showing this improvement. He said his training didn't change. He also said that he does a lot of his training fasted and eats afterward. Not exactly the same as he seems to just have an eating window each day, but still interesting, especially with his fasted training.
Unread 05-30-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
Well I know this is different but George's St Pierre, one of the best MMA fighters of all time and an all around lean and muscular guy, said that he has gained muscle and lost fat while maintaining weight over the past five months from intermittent fasting. He said that he had his muscle and body fat analyzed in January and a few weeks ago showing this improvement. He said his training didn't change. He also said that he does a lot of his training fasted and eats afterward. Not exactly the same as he seems to just have an eating window each day, but still interesting, especially with his fasted training.
This sets off red flags. Was he selling a supplement or diet book or something? If he's doing serious MMA training for a competition, I doubt he's doing it fasted. In other words, he was probably not explaining himself 100% accurately. There are several other things to point out. He has elite genetics, training is his job, and he has meals prepared for him. I don't know about drug use, but that could also be a factor.
Unread 05-30-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
This sets off red flags. Was he selling a supplement or diet book or something? If he's doing serious MMA training for a competition, I doubt he's doing it fasted. In other words, he was probably not explaining himself 100% accurately. There are several other things to point out. He has elite genetics, training is his job, and he has meals prepared for him. I don't know about drug use, but that could also be a factor.
IF can mean a lot of different things. GSP skipping breakfast and still training like an elite athlete will have different results than being stranded on an island not getting enough calories.
Unread 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
So professional athlete, chances that he is natty is between nun and zero.
Unread 05-30-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
IF can mean a lot of different things. GSP skipping breakfast and still training like an elite athlete will have different results than being stranded on an island not getting enough calories.
I don't want to derail the thread, but I was simply doubtful about the claim that GSP was training fasted. I was just assuming that a high level athlete training for their sport would want to fuel their workouts so that they can perform better during their training. I know there are a lot of people who lift weights fasted or while sipping on bcaas, but would a high level athlete training for a specific sport do that? Am I dumb in thinking that fasted training wouldn't be optimal for such an athlete?
Unread 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but I was simply doubtful about the claim that GSP was training fasted. I was just assuming that a high level athlete training for their sport would want to fuel their workouts so that they can perform better during their training. I know there are a lot of people who lift weights fasted or while sipping on bcaas, but would a high level athlete training for a specific sport do that? Am I dumb in thinking that fasted training wouldn't be optimal for such an athlete?
It depends on the type of training and goal. If you get really good at training fasted it might help you dig deeper in the fight when you feel super tired. Also GSP is a pretty staunch opponent of ped's and quit MMA for a while due to rampant use and came back once usada started doing random drug tests. Is it possible he is on ped's? Yes, but I doubt it. It just wouldn't be in his interest to ruin his whole legacy for it at this point.
Unread 06-03-2018, 11:48 AM

A vague account from someone who is an elite athlete who trains fulltime is not something I would base my diet upon. Herschel walker allegedly only did bodyweight training. If the average person wants to get stronger they should use weights.
Unread 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
A vague account from someone who is an elite athlete who trains fulltime is not something I would base my diet upon. Herschel walker allegedly only did bodyweight training. If the average person wants to get stronger they should use weights.
I think herschel walker also said he would eat one meal a day and it was like broth and a light salad. Basically if he was telling the truth he would have been anorexic, not super jacked. He was a huge liar.
Unread 06-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Greg Plitt the fitness model that got hit by the train said he only *ate* one meal a day too in an interview. But then went on in later in it to say he also used multiple protein shakes during the day. So don’t read too much into any of what a celebrity says.
Unread 06-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I think herschel walker also said he would eat one meal a day and it was like broth and a light salad. Basically if he was telling the truth he would have been anorexic, not super jacked. He was a huge liar.
You really can't trust what any famous person says about their diet and training.

Walker claims to do a bodyweight only routine in the morning and not eat until dinner where his food is mostly bread, soups, and salad. He also claims to only sleep five hours.

This guy is 6'1 and ~225lbs, he has to be burning ATLEAST 4000 a day (or even 5000 with this training). You may say that nutrient timing doesn't matter much but in this case you cannot convince me that training in the morning and not eating until dinner is conducive to muscle growth.