BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Default Autophagy

After the recent study pointing in the direction of exercise promoting Autophagy I wondered if there were other things I can do to perhaps increase Autophagy.

Upon reading up on the subject, it appears that the benefit of calorie restriction my be due to this and perhaps IF would also encourage this process.

I also started thinking that simple protein restriction, at times, may also get this process going and there certainly is some info on the web speculating that this MAY be the case.

I also wondered if not eating carbohydrates, and depleting the liver etc of glucose if the body will tend to burn, preferentially, proteins that need cleaning up vs just muscle protein that does not need cleaning up?

Lastly, if I decided to IF 24 hours a couple of days a week would BCAA supplementation help in the in this respect (eat up damaged proteins vs my hard earned muscle).

I realize that there are not definitive answers to all of this but I wondered if there were any studies and or information about this.

Thanks

Stephen
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:25 PM

The body's autoinflammatory signals and autoimmune response is what sends white blood cells to the area that needs clearing. It's not something you need to worry about. Micromanaging that is impossible and silly. If you eat enough protein and initiate an anabolic stimulus you will create conditions for net positive protein balance, meaning you'll build more muscle than you lose. Though watching it grow is like watching grass grow.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM

FutureisNow,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I am a not so much thinking about positive nitrogen balance as much as I am the cleaning house.

In fact my question is kinda of the opposite. Is our (my) attempting to be in positive nitrogen balance inhibiting Autophagy? There is at least conjecture that protein restriction will indeed clean house in that damaged proteins will be relieved of there constituent amino acids and new healthy cells are created.
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
FutureisNow,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I am a not so much thinking about positive nitrogen balance as much as I am the cleaning house.

In fact my question is kinda of the opposite. Is our (my) attempting to be in positive nitrogen balance inhibiting Autophagy? There is at least conjecture that protein restriction will indeed clean house in that damaged proteins will be relieved of there constituent amino acids and new healthy cells are created.
There is always muscle protein breakdown and repair. That happens regardless. It's an autoimmune response; you can't control it to any significent degree. Protein is reused to the extent that is possible.

In any event new cells aren't created, just the myofibular protein within the cell is replaced and/or expanded. Hyperplasia is not proven in humans; even in animals it's theorised to be due to the dividing of existing muscle fibers.