BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Default Need a back exercise that puts minimal stress on lumbar

I hurt my back a few years ago and try to be as careful as I can when lifting, because if I tweak it again things are going to be uglier than the last time lol.

For the GBR, I'm fine doing pull ups, but I need a second back exercise that won't put a lot of pressure on my lower back. Rows, especially BB ones are extremely uncomfortable and the entire time I'm worried about pulling my back out again. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried DB rows, BB rows, t-bar rows and seated cable rows all with no luck.
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM

CM, would a seated machine row ~ like this work? If so, and you don't have access to those machines, you can do the same thing as a bent-over row (bbel or dbbl) as long as your chest is supported on something. Some people perform it by bending over and resting just the forehead on something ... but chest mo' betta.

If performing traditional bench dbbl rows, well, this is just me but sometimes I do 'em on knee and elbow of support hand specifically to reduce body motion (and to reduce the chance of engaging other muscles). Also just me, but I don't like the trainee's neck angle -- seems to be self-mirin', and IMO most all it does is cause/exacerbate neck stress.

I'm sure there are a slew more exercises that aren't coming to mind.
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Something like a reverse cable fly? You can't go very heavy with that movement but if you're already doing pull-ups, who cares.

Or maybe the upright-row variation Lyle illustrated in "are upright rows safe?".
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

The OP seems to be looking for a low back friendly mid-back exercise

UPright rows won't get that done, chinups/etc. aren't ideal

I agree with the second poster: a chest supported back machine of some sort (the hammer machines are great if you have access) or one-arm DB rows are both pretty low back safe.
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
The OP seems to be looking for a low back friendly mid-back exercise

UPright rows won't get that done, chinups/etc. aren't ideal

I agree with the second poster: a chest supported back machine of some sort (the hammer machines are great if you have access) or one-arm DB rows are both pretty low back safe.
I haven't done DB Rows in awhile, so maybe those will go better because my back's improving a little bit. I was trying hard to keep perfect form on barbell rows but my lower back felt a little weird and I was paranoid about hurting it again.
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella Man View Post
I haven't done DB Rows in awhile, so maybe those will go better because my back's improving a little bit. I was trying hard to keep perfect form on barbell rows but my lower back felt a little weird and I was paranoid about hurting it again.
In the OP you state that t-bar rows didn't work for you. Were those chest supported (that's the variant I use and am most familiar with) and still didn't work?
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Seated Row Machine went perfectly other than my grip slipping a little bit. I was doing one arm at a time. I haven't done a movement like that in awhile, but I felt it in my upper back, specifically shoulder blade area a lot (in a good way).

Also my right knee has been bugging me for a few weeks, and I'm waiting to see if taking Animal Flex helps it calm down again, so I've unfortunately had to stop leg days other than walking for the time being should I do my upper body days M/W/F then since that's really all I can do at the moment?
Unread 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM

You could try incline bench dumbbell rows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21hVqcJr84k
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdaniel View Post
You could try incline bench dumbbell rows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21hVqcJr84k
Just what I was going to suggest, albeit a bit different from the one in the video: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Back...BLyingRow.html
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:30 PM

If you have access to a chest supported row machine I'd think that would be the obvious answer. If your grip is slipping use straps.

When I was having back problems I found that for me single arm dumbell rows were harder on my low back than seated cable rows, due to the anti-rotational component I'm sure. If you read McGill's books IIRC he suggests not training anti-rotational strength until the last step in the rehab proccess.

Incline bench dumbell rows can be tricky to get into position on the bench with heavy dumbells.

Just experiment with different rows and see what feels OK on your low back. Gotta find what works 4 u bro