BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Exhausted all options, is this a possibility?

Hi,

45 year old mother of 3.

Have tried various Nutrition styles over the last 5 years. The only 2 times i have lost weight were on what is regarded as low calorie diets ie: 1500 cals per day.

I train weights 5 days per week.

Each Nutrition style Wether it be nutrient timing, keto, intermittent fasting, etc all have me trying to eat 2250+ calories per day.

The first time I lost weight was when I started training and was on about 1500 calories that was about 18 months or so and I dropped about 30lbs or so. But after some bad advice it would appear about how much should be eating I have put it back on and some. The second time was about 3 years after that and I was on a low calorie from 1800 down to 1400 calories and I lost 15lbs. But I stopped aa it went against everything I have read about low calories, that was with an online program of some esteem.

Since then I have reversed dieted back up to 2500 calories per day and put back on the 15lbs.

I have signed up with a well known and respected coach who maybe I was hoping for the magic answer but it appears it's just like the others. I can't see where the magician going to come from.

It is expensive and at my age I am feeling like I am running out of time before things really go too far with all the female stuff around the corner. I would like to get back to the body I did have once in my life if only it was a fleeting time.

So my question is: Is it possible that I am somewhat unique and I can operate on a low calorie diet? In that my body is just really efficient in the way it uses calories amd I dint need the 2500+ calories?

Please any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks.
Unread 03-08-2017, 07:03 PM

You need to figure out what your maintenance calorie value is. Have you been at a period where your weight is stable? If so, do that for 2 weeks and log your food intake for that period. Then figure out what the caloric value is for your food intake. This assumes your activity level remains the same (exercise burns calories which needs to be taken into account when determining your 'maintenance' amount of calories). Then set the appropriate deficit.

Frankly, my advice would be to go to the main site and read the articles on how to set up a diet. That should get you pretty far.
Unread 03-08-2017, 07:27 PM

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...or-large.html/

Find your caloric deficit and protein requirements. Start a log. Track progress. Take weekly averages and watch the trends.
Unread 03-08-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataloss View Post
Hi,

So my question is: Is it possible that I am somewhat unique and I can operate on a low calorie diet? In that my body is just really efficient in the way it uses calories amd I dint need the 2500+ calories?

Please any advice would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks.
Good advice from Farrenator.

I don't know if you are unique, but there is the estimate we can get from a calculator and then there is our personal results IRL.

Hard to say if 2500+ is a lot or not since you don't give your weight.

I'm 46 and have been bouncing around between 145 and 150.

TDEE calculators give me around 1600 calories for sedentary maintenance, or IOW the estimated number of calories for me to maintain my weight with very little exercise.

The accuracy of your food tracking is hard to underestimate and easy to mess up. Using a digital food scale and tracking everything is a PITA, but it works.

FYI Lyle has a book coming soon (-ish ) just for women. There are some excerpts online that might interest you.
Unread 03-08-2017, 08:49 PM

I weigh all meals and track all macros via my fitness pal and writing it down as well. Have done this for 2+ years. They are spot on.

I'm 5'6" and 196lbs.

My macros are 220C 165P
75F.
Unread 03-08-2017, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataloss View Post
I weigh all meals and track all macros via my fitness pal and writing it down as well. Have done this for 2+ years. They are spot on.

I'm 5'6" and 196lbs.

My macros are 220C 165P
75F.
RMR at that weight is ~2000 calories or perhaps a bit lower. Add activity and it's more.

So unless you have a metabolic disease, no, your calorie shouldn't ahve to go that low to effectively lose fat. Yes, things slow down with age and menopause without HRT makes that worse.
Unread 03-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
RMR at that weight is ~2000 calories or perhaps a bit lower. Add activity and it's more.

So unless you have a metabolic disease, no, your calorie shouldn't ahve to go that low to effectively lose fat. Yes, things slow down with age and menopause without HRT makes that worse.
I had my bloods done and liver function was good, thyroid was good, they even tested for menopause precursors or something and that came back clear. Everything was ok.

I really don't have the resources to waste $140 a month on a Nutrition coach. Should I just do the 1500 calories like before and if it works and I lose the weight. Deal with the consequences then? What's the worse scenario, I have to slowly reverse diet?

How do I test for a metabolic disease?

I can't waste another year like this

Thanks

Last edited by Ataloss : 03-09-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Unread 03-09-2017, 01:20 AM

You don't need an expensive coach, because the basics are quiet simple. The only thing in the universe that makes you lose weight is the number of calories you consume. Eat less than your body needs.

Follow this protocol:
- Make an estimate of your maintenance calories (see main site).
- Remove the number of calories you feel comfortable with (let's say 500 kcal).
- That's it. Eat that final number daily for a few weeks.

Measure yourself daily and try to notice a trend. Does it go up? You need to eat less. Does it stay the same? You need to eat less. Does it go down? Great!
Unread 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM

2 years after I started training.

I was eating around 1500 calories, I never weighed anything, I really had no idea what I was doing food wise. I just made sure I had plenty of protein, low fat and carbs for fuel.

I had lost about 25lbs at that time from when I first started.

I would do bodybuilding in the morning with my husband for 90 minutes, very hard training and walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill. I would then go back in the evening and do maybe 45-60 minutes of HIIT cardio 3-4 times per week.

I just happened to be speaking to a professional coach and mentioned that I was feeling a little lethargic. (I still felt I was fat etc), They said I needed to eat twice as much and stop the cardio.

That's where it all started to unravel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 years.jpg (35.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by Ataloss : 03-09-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Unread 03-09-2017, 02:02 AM

This is where I am now.

Basically stopped all cardio a few years ago. But I still train hard (bodybuilding/strongman style).

I really need help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg current.jpg (56.3 KB, 54 views)