BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Glycaemic Index Effects on Fuel Partitioning in Humans - Research Review

Article on the main site
Unread 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Bad link, but damn it you don't rest for a day!
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

try it now
Unread 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Lyle, as usual, another great topic and analysis/discussion.

One question that comes to mind is whether they showed if insulin is elevated for a longer time period for low GI foods?

If so, then would eating low GI foods all day long cause steady elevated insulin levels that shut off lipolysis?
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

They did look at this, I didn't have space to cover it.

in one of the studies, they compared 50 grams glucose to 50 grams starch. Fatty acids were supressed identically up to the 3 hour mark but after that, while blood FA levels returned to bsaeline in the starch group, they rebuonded do double fasting levels in the glucose group.

In a related study they gave 50 grams of glucose either all at once or sipped (to mimick a lot GI meal). In the 50 grams all at once, insulin spiked, blunting fatty acid levels. But FA level rebouned to above fasting levels in the glucose group whereas they stayed supressed in the low GI group.

OF course, this has to be weighed against other stuff such as hunger (e.g. crashing blood glucose can stimualte hunger) and counterregulatory hormonal responses.

But it is contradictory to what most people think should happen.
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmiller View Post
Lyle, as usual, another great topic and analysis/discussion.

One question that comes to mind is whether they showed if insulin is elevated for a longer time period for low GI foods?

If so, then would eating low GI foods all day long cause steady elevated insulin levels that shut off lipolysis?
I would think that simply eating food all day long would shut off lypolysis, as it would be hard to be in a deficit while eating so often.
Unread 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

So let's say I'm eating 1800 calories/day which is a nice deficit

ARe you saying that I can't eat 6X300 calorie meals across the span of waking hours? I'm eating frequently, still in a deficit.
Unread 07-03-2009, 02:01 PM

No, that's not what I meant Although I can see why one would think so from rereading my post.

Basically, what I meant was this: eating all day long WOULD shut down lypolysis if that means you're in a net surplus for the day.

But if one were to eat all day long while still in a deficit, then the size of the meals would have to be tiny, and thus insulin levels would return to baseline that much sooner, and lypolysis would once again return to "normal".

Essentially, there's no need to worry about it. At an equal caloric intake (deficit):

A) bigger meals spaced far apart = fat loss

B) smaller meals more frequently = fat loss

it's only when you eat bigger meals more frequently that you run into problems

I hope I made myself clear.
Unread 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo87 View Post
No, that's not what I meant Although I can see why one would think so from rereading my post.

Basically, what I meant was this: eating all day long WOULD shut down lypolysis if that means you're in a net surplus for the day.

But if one were to eat all day long while still in a deficit, then the size of the meals would have to be tiny, and thus insulin levels would return to baseline that much sooner, and lypolysis would once again return to "normal".
Yup

Quote:
Essentially, there's no need to worry about it. At an equal caloric intake (deficit):

A) bigger meals spaced far apart = fat loss

B) smaller meals more frequently = fat loss

it's only when you eat bigger meals more frequently that you run into problems

I hope I made myself clear.
Yup.
Unread 07-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
They did look at this, I didn't have space to cover it.

in one of the studies, they compared 50 grams glucose to 50 grams starch. Fatty acids were supressed identically up to the 3 hour mark but after that, while blood FA levels returned to bsaeline in the starch group, they rebuonded do double fasting levels in the glucose group.

In a related study they gave 50 grams of glucose either all at once or sipped (to mimick a lot GI meal). In the 50 grams all at once, insulin spiked, blunting fatty acid levels. But FA level rebouned to above fasting levels in the glucose group whereas they stayed supressed in the low GI group.

OF course, this has to be weighed against other stuff such as hunger (e.g. crashing blood glucose can stimualte hunger) and counterregulatory hormonal responses.

But it is contradictory to what most people think should happen.

Do you think you could you screw up the alpha inhibition in the stubborn fat solution by having 90g/day, but all in the space of 5 hours?

"3-4 days of Constant exposure to fatty acids" etc...