BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Default Reducing Body Fat by Gaining Muscle Q&A

Article on the main site
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to akwaman

This is probably nitpicky as all hell, but when you said "e.g. it may be beyond his personal genetic potential" I think you meant "i.e." Granted, there are a number of reasons that a lifter may not gain muscle, but I just wanted to point it out in case you meant "that is" rather than "for example."
Unread 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Crud, this is why I shouldn't write late at night. I confused my Latin abbreviations.

And I'm nitpicky as all get out, I can't get upset when people nitpick me.

thanks
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM

Wow, what a great article, I especially enjoy having the two tables there to easily compare the differences in the two approaches. This is actually very timely for me, I was just having this discussion with my brother last night. My brother is probably around 20 - 25% bodyfat, and has decided to start bulking/gaining muscle to try and get rid of his man boobs and make his arms bigger so they'll look more proportionate (to his lower body, which is fat). I spent about half an hour trying to explain to him why that wouldn't work, and how long it would take to even find that out. Not to mention he's doing some kind of half-assed keto diet while trying to bulk....kids these days.
Anyway I forwarded him this article to show him exactly what I was getting at -- he'll make a much more dramatic improvement by simply dieting and maintaining what he has versus trying to add muscle to look better. I shouldn't blame him too much, I subscribed to the same nonsense for years. I distinctly recall telling people that every 10 lbs of muscle you add burns 500 additional calories per day AT REST because I heard that somewhere (I'm wincing as I type this). Oh if I had known then...

Starting weight on RFL = 295.5
Current weight = 256.5

Deadlift Strength before RFL: 405 x 5 reps
Current Strength: 415 x 5 reps
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM

It's scary to think about this from the other direction, and how little fat gain it can take to sway bodyfat percentage. Mah abz
Unread 08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

The only good thing is that, unless you're doing something very wrong dietarily while gaining weight, fat gain is usually a whole lot slower than active fat loss on a proper diet.
Unread 08-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Yeah I can see that, it's not *too* hard to create a deficit to lose a pound quickly, but man you'd have to eat a LOT of food to gain a pound as quickly (excluding water weight of course).

Starting weight on RFL = 295.5
Current weight = 256.5

Deadlift Strength before RFL: 405 x 5 reps
Current Strength: 415 x 5 reps
Unread 10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
GuitarCrazyo

Default Reducing Body Fat by Gaining Muscle Q

I was wondering how to find ut my body fat and also does anyone konw how to tell what my ideal size should be....all around hidth and weight...with muscle
Unread 10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

There are numerous articles on the main site that deal with estimating body composition. There is a thread on this forum as well that has links to some calculators that will give rough estimates