BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-25-2017, 11:31 PM

Default Struggling with gym time - would this be ok?

I'm really busy right now and barely have time to go to the gym. this situation is not likely to change at all anytime soon. I'm doing a lowcarb cyclical diet with 5 diet days + 2 refeed days at maintenance. past 3 weeks i've only managed to hit the gym once a week (doing low volume fullbody heavy workout). this isn't ideal at all and im starting to worry about losing lbm. i'm looking for a solution to make the best progress with what i have.

the only days i always have time to hit the gym are the refeed days on the weekend. its getting harder and harder to keep doing the mid-week workouts, as i'm usually only getting to them at around 9-10pm after being on my feet since 5:30-6am. so i had this idea in mind, please tell me what you think:

how about i'll go 10% above maintenance on the weekend and either do a fullbody workout with a bit move volume, or even an AB split. could possibly do the AB split on the first refeed day with morning & evening workouts, to enable more high-caloric recovery time for the entire body (doing a normal AB split would leave the B workout only the remaining last refeed day, with is sort of a "waste" of muscle synthesizing time).

Is it reasonable to expect that this short anabolic period be enough to offset lbm loss during 5 diet days? I know I know, i depends on a ton of variables: genetics (average), bodyfat percentage (idk about 20-22%. started at 30%), depth of deficit (about 30% or more), duration of the diet (about 12-14 weeks but i've taken a 10day break that ended roughly weeks ago), and so on and so forth.

I'm not looking for an exact answer, just a maybe. there's nothing like a definite maybe. is it reasonable to expect this to work good enough to prevent lbm loss for the average individual? or only the genetically blessed / steroid users could possibly pull this off?

Last edited by Ironz : 07-25-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 07-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Man that's rough! I feel for you.

Anyways from my perspective what you laid out is better than nothing and once or twice a week on the weekend like you said should work fine. 1.5 times the volume to make up for the loss in frequency and then just keep the intensity really high. Maybe 3-6 reps per set like the ud2 power workout 4-6 sets or somthing. Heavy compounds and all that with 3-5 min rest and just go hard and make it count while you can.
I admire your resolve.

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM

You can cut back volume by 2/3s of what you did to gain the muscle to maintain it. So just get in your workouts on the weekend when you have time and maintain load on the bar. There shouldn't be any muscle loss if you're not doing some starvation diet during the week.
Unread 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have. I too have been in a place where I could only train once a week and while I found that I can't quite maintain where I'm at on only one workout per week, I can get pretty close. Twice a week (full body or 2 way split) or every 4-5 days (full body) works better.

Having weekends free, I'd be tempted to try some block training-- back to back full body workouts in this case-- and see how it goes. The first workout will probably be the heavier one and then the second one you can go a little lighter or less volume or relatively easier exercises or whatever. I don't know of any template for this specific situation so you'll just have to kind of figure out as you go. With two decent workouts, you should be able to maintain fine even with 5 days off in between.

You might want to watch out for symptoms of overtraining/underrecovering even on only 2 workouts a week. I say this because of what sounds like high life stress, very high activity (on your feet all day 5 days in a row) and low carb days. You can probably get away with it for a while starting from 20+% bodyfat and no residual fatigue but may have to adjust things as you go.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 07-26-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Unread 07-28-2017, 03:43 AM

Thank you all for the great replies! I've definitely moved to heavier loads and a bit more volume to makeup for lost frequency. also decided to up my protein intake in hopes it'll help a little bit. the two back to back fullbody training option sounds a bit rigorous, but i can give it a shot and see how it goes.