BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Default I had a VO2max in the 20s before I started running

I find it ridiculous that my heart/lungs were in such bad shape when my exercise regimen consisted of just weight lifting + sedentary lifestyle.

Back in March I ran 2.3 miles at a 10:30 min/mile pace and was gassed at the end. My heart rate averaged in the high 160's (well above lactate threshold lmao).

Since then i've run upward of 600 miles and currently average 10hrs a day. I'm training for a marathon and my cardiovascular system is in a much better position ~45 VO2max but I'm still in shock that I had the endurance of a senior citizen.

Even now, I'm pretty sure I've only gotten myself up to the "average" capability of a dude my age.

I'm honestly in utter disbelief at how people can completely neglect aerobic work at all. Unless i'm some kind of genetic anomaly, I wouldn't even consider myself healthy.

Is this an n=1 experience? Or do you guys who never do cardio have good enough aerobics to stand up and run a decent 5k, 10k, etc?

(I was healthy at the time btw aged 24, 5'8 and 150lbs)

Last edited by lightng : 08-18-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Unread 08-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Administrator

VO2 is hugely genetic. The liklihood of you EVER getting it over 45 is about nil at this point.

And if you mean you're running 10 hours/day well....
Unread 08-19-2017, 01:03 AM

How do you define good aerobics? What does running 5 or 10k even mean? What tempo? How about lower back or knee issues? Why does running a specific distance represent good aerobic health? How does it carry over to other sports and/or movements? Why should it be a constant tempo instead of interval? Etc.

Personally, I don't do a lot of HIT cardio but manage to add low and moderate intensity cardio here and there. I feel I'm in a decent aerobic state. I cannot back that up with numbers.

On the other end of the spectrum: you're right that being lazy all day will not do you any good. So yeah, adding a little cardio (even if it's just some walking) will be profitable. You're still a bag of meat evolved to move instead of using facebook.

Last edited by Determinism : 08-19-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Unread 08-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
VO2 is hugely genetic. The liklihood of you EVER getting it over 45 is about nil at this point.

And if you mean you're running 10 hours/day well....
Oops, I meant to say 10hrs/week.

I find it hard to believe that my VO2 will cap that quickly.

Unless the VO2max curve over time has a very steep slope and plateaus within a year of training.

It's been only 5 months of consistent cardio and my fitness is getting better by the week.

To have my VO2 cap at 45 would mean I would never be able to run a boston qualifier.
Unread 09-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Curious as to how you'd go about measuring VO2 max. I know the stairmaster has it at my gym but I've always assumed that was a total crap estimate.

IIRC, squats are really good at increasing your VO2 max if you aren't a cardio person.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 09-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Good lord stop giving garbage "advice".
Unread 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM

Oh sorry, squats are a good way to MEASURE vo2 max.

Haha wow, you finally found something I got wrong, good job! Hope it made your day.

Edit: Actually, high rep squats might be effective. I'll let someone who knows more than you about this stuff weigh in before I admit I was wrong.

Anyone care to opine? I know high rep squats have always been a grind and seemed to get easier over time. Wouldn't that mark a cardiovascular adaptation?

From just some basic research it looks like interval training (particularly 4 sets of 4 minute runs with 3 minute rest in between) are the best for improving VO2 max.

Haven't worried about cardio since high school soccer 15 years ago and I have a very high VO2 max so I never really researched it too much

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 09-24-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: A
Unread 09-25-2017, 02:46 AM

Wrong again, as usual. Keep it up, on a hot streak here lad.
Unread 09-25-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Curious as to how you'd go about measuring VO2 max. I know the stairmaster has it at my gym but I've always assumed that was a total crap estimate.
VO2 max can be measured during a metabolic test with an oxygen mask hooked up to a machine that measures your oxygen consumption. The place I went to had a specific protocol we went through, slowly ramping up the intensity on the treadmill while wearing the mask. They also did it while cycling if you were more interested in that.

Mine peaked at 58.5 because I'm awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
To have my VO2 cap at 45 would mean I would never be able to run a boston qualifier.
Qualifying for Boston is fairly difficult in my opinion. I think most people could slog their way through a marathon, but I don't think most could run a qualifying time.

I ran it in 3:48 and definitely couldn't qualify right now...because I'm not awesome. I think qualifying for my age (35) right now is ~3:05.

Google metabolic testing in your area, there might be someone nearby who does the testing if you're really curious. I only did it because I wanted the numbers that I plugged into my Polar running watch to be accurate.
Unread 09-25-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Wrong again, as usual. Keep it up, on a hot streak here lad.
Very helpful and insightful! You are a great wealth of information in the community!