BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Default RDLs after arm work

Looking for some opinions on this.

I work on having a balanced physique, with perhaps some emphasis shifted toward upper body. I like using 3-way splits like PPL, but they have their own limitations (spending too many days in the gym or too low of a frequency per bodypart.)

Often times I use a 2-way split but move some or all of the direct arm work to the lower body day. Some examples:

Chest, back, delts // legs, arms (rotate them, 3-4 workouts/week)
Chest, back delts // arms, legs // chest, back, delts (ABA, not rotating, bro training)

I've also done this:
Arms specialization, quads+hamstrings maintenance // Chest, back, delts // arms specialization, calves+core

So often times legs+arms end up on the same day. For general training I don't mind doing legs first, but for upper body emphasis (and especially specialization training), It would be preferable to do arms first.

Does heavy arm training before RDLs cause any major issues? Safety issues? Long head of the triceps does have to work to keep the bar close to the body, and both biceps and triceps have roles in stabilizing the elbow. This tends to suggest that it's a bad idea.

Some people have torn their biceps during deadlifts but this usually happens during conventional deadlifts and often when using a mixed (over/under) grip. For the record, I rarely ever do conventional DLs anymore and never use a mixed grip-- I use double overhand or hook grip only.

I have done RDLs after arms before without any major issues but it has been long enough that I can't remember all the specifics, and my notes are lacking. I had also let my lower body strength slip during some of those times, and I've also often changed out exercises (e.g. relying on leg curls for hamstring work, which I'm not a huge fan of because it takes me so long to work back up on the RDL due to the nature of the exercise.)

Does anybody have any experience in similar predicaments? Ok to do heavy RDLs after arm work, with some rest inbetween or am I being foolish?

Example order: Heavy biceps/triceps work, leg press, RDL, lower body isolation stuff
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

I almost always do RDLs after arm work.

Grip is no big deal, cause they can't go that heavy.

If you're not using a mixed grip, I'm not sure what you're afraid of. I wouldn't worry.

How intensive is your arm training, anyhow?

How much do you RDL?
Unread 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM

use straps.
Unread 04-23-2017, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. I should have been more to the point. My biggest concern is messing something up in my forearm/elbow/bicep from general fatigue/pump in the area then doing RDLs after. I'm not really sure what I mean by messing something up.

I'm not really worried about grip giving out. I've developed a strong hook grip over years of weight training, although straps might still be helpful if they take away some tension in the area.
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:04 AM

I don't think it'll be an issue. I do them after heavy chinups for one. Unlike conventional deadlifts, I really think straps maximize RDLs when it comes to isolating your p-chain. When the weight gets heavy-ish like 4-6 reps I feel that extra tension in the arms detracts from really focusing on stretching the hamstrings...I can let my arms just be like strings that connects to the barbell vs take away focus from the target muscles, if that makes sense? I don't use them for regular deadlifts. My 0.02.