BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuffs View Post
Well yeah. I mean, he's no longer my buddy. I don't hang out with fat people.
Ok, let's watch the direction this is going.
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
And he won't admit that he's wrong about it. He's a fraud plain and simple.
With the cash he's pulling in from the book, I can only imagine that he'll defend his conclusions until the day he dies.

I mostly feel sad for all of the half-way intelligent people who get their hands on the book and buy into it all because they're too ignorant on nutrition and whatnot to think otherwise. I've heard numerous people applaud Taubes for how well the book was "referenced" and based on "research". You can't explain to those people that the research was cherry picked, self-reported, etc...
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

For anybody who wants to see a good analysis of Taube's claims, my buddy James Krieger did a good job of dismantling the nonsense here
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
With the cash he's pulling in from the book, I can only imagine that he'll defend his conclusions until the day he dies.

I mostly feel sad for all of the half-way intelligent people who get their hands on the book and buy into it all because they're too ignorant on nutrition and whatnot to think otherwise. I've heard numerous people applaud Taubes for how well the book was "referenced" and based on "research". You can't explain to those people that the research was cherry picked, self-reported, etc...
It's great: it tells them what they want to hear. But watch his interviews, the intellectual dishonesty is just incredible. so he'll say that exercise doesn't work, makes you hungry. And he'll argue with trainers who point out "We've got hundreds of examples while you're wrong." And he'll just dismiss it out of hand. he's an idiot and a fraud, period.
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Yep, I've seen/read lots of interviews and such with him. I don't even make it through most of them. He'll make some retarded comment like what you mentioned and I become so disgusted that I usually can't finish.

It just baffles me because I know some people that I consider intelligent but I can't seem to convince them that Taubes is a fraud. I’ve since stopped trying and it has helped remove some unneeded stress from my life.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

One can be intelligent and unable to take responsibility for one's actions. Taube's book ties into the latter.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM

You know, half the time (or more) I don't even know who the heck these other people and boards are y'all are talking about. I'm glad.

I did have to go see what t-nation was all about, but it frightened me so much I came right back here and haven't gone back.
Unread 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I'd also note that taube's book is extra amusing for this reason: he makes this big issue in the first half about how the cholesterol hypothesis people are guilty of making a conclusion and then cherry picking the data to support it.

And then does the same thing in the second half of the book with his nonsensical carbohydrate hypothesis.

So add hypocrite to fraud and liar (and if he's not and out liar then he's simply a bad researcher, given his apparently inability to find a flaw in a 1980 report in the research over the next 30 years).
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM

It's always amazing what someone can do with statistics and averages.

Just the sheer lack of common sense it would take for someone to publish a chart that insinuates that the average american overeats by that much is staggering.

Only a few years of being "average" and that american would be pushing 400lbs. Now there are plenty of fat people out there, but 400lbs is still pretty rare to see.

Couple of months of that and poor jiggly wouldnt have any friends left.
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM

I think they just did something wrong with the "calories burned" thing. I doubt many people eating 3700 kcal a day are less than 200 pounds, and not many people over 200 pounds burn less than 2000 kcal a day, lest the 1900 the picture says.