BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Default Anybody ever try powerlifting?

So there's this older guy, 50's I'd say, who bench presses next to me at the gym. And I mean bench press. He's in the gym for over an hour, and all I've seen him do is bench press, heavy, and occaisionally some shoulder work, some forearm work, the occaisional curl. And he's strong.

Anyway, so I bs with him all the time, and he mentions to me he's going to a powerlifting meet. Another guy from the gym is going as well. Its a raw, drug free meet.

I was thinking of going, I thought I'd have a shot at doing well, but I'm just missing the weight class. I'm sure all of you scrutinize the riveting details of my log, but in case you missed it, I just hit 170lbs, and it was a hard fought battle so I don't wanna screw it up dropping 5 lbs for 165.

Regardless, I checked the State (and national) records. Here's the site http://adaurawpower.com/ ...Anti Drug Athletes United, the ones holding the meet. When I was 200lbs I would have been a national champion 165 pounder...but now that I'm 170lbs not quite

Last edited by jp471 : 12-04-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

at your first meet, go to compete/get experience. Nothing else. Don't try to make a weight class or even necessarliy set PR's. You'll have enough to worry about (I"ve competed and taken multiple lifters to meets).
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM

I second what mr mcdonald had to say.

If this is your first meet, just go to have fun. See how it all unfolds, get some experience. Talk to the various lifters, enjoy yourself.
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:35 PM

what ever happened to the Bob guy who did strongman training with lyle. that was a cool experience!
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

I'm not going to go to this one, just because I found out about it too late...it's this sunday (tommorrow) ....and I had a heavy bench workout thursday, heavy squats tuesday.....heavy straight leg deads yesterday and squats at 80% yesterday as well. So I'm not really ready to do anything heavy.

But yeah I thought the same thing. W/ my openers I'd do weight I knew I could handle....250 on BP (in the gym I do 4 sets of 6 easily).....squat 315 (do 4 sets of 5 I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. to grass).....and deads 405 to 425 (been able to do at least 455 w/ sumo stance since HS).....If I got all my openers I'd get slightly more ambitious but I'd just try to see what I can do w/o getting red lighted.

Looks like a fun way to compete for someone my age (28) who enjoys competition, but doesn't have an outlet ...I can't play football anymore and rugby, well it seems awesome...but I don't know if I want to risk an injury that could hurt my training just for kicks.

I could probably do Ok if I ever trained for it...I have the right body mechanics...short arms, a natural deadlift, and though my squat isn't all that I just need work, the length of femurs etc make a power lifting squat easy.

There's another meet in a few weeks I'll think about it. Notice on that site there's on bad mofo from PA in the 165 class, holds state and national records for 165, and PA state 189 records, wow.
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:56 PM

re: the one tomorrow

even better, this way you can go and observe, which will make it much smoother when you actually do decide to lift.

Oh, and bring a book.
Unread 12-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Administrator

And lunch. Maybe more than one. Long time between events at most meets.
Unread 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

I didn't make it out, but the older BP guy hasn't been in the gym since...hope he didn't get injured or anything crazy. I think he said he's mid '60's and had open heart surgery. And still benches 275+ every week....thanks to Powerthirst!

he said he was going for the older age group state record...which is only in the 280's i think but his gym lifts don't have a judge.
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Update. Talked to the old guy today he set State records for his age group in BP. Something like 290. Said they were making him pause the weight for 2 seconds on his chest. He went for the national record and he says the judge had him pausing for like 3 secs and he just missed it. Another judge who was watching apparently confirmed it was way too long of a pause. Good for him.

Another kid that went with him, I met him a few times in the gym, won the 242 weight class in BP. He just barely made 242 and will go up next time. He pressed 455. Wow. Very impressed, especially because he's early twenties.
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:54 PM

I doubt that he was actually pausing it for 3 seconds, but I have no doubt that it felt that long