BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Is 7 sets enough for back?

Hey all,

I just had a training / coaching skype call with 1 of the guys from team 3dmj.

I got a split that was Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Chest and Delts

The routine only has 7 sets for back a week. Is this really enough? In the GBR and all the routines ive followed for the past 8 years there has always been 9-12 sets so im wondering if this is ok..
Unread 05-13-2017, 02:36 PM

It's fine if you grow on it.

I had a successful run (one of my best actually) doing 3x10 rows one workout, and 3x10 pull downs in the other.

6x10 then in a week. That was fine for me. Might be for you.
Unread 05-13-2017, 06:29 PM

It may or may not be ideal for you. That doesn't mean you can't grow with it, it just might not be ideal. Depends on the person. Depending on how advanced you are I'd tend to say a little higher may be better for hypertrophy. Deadlift volume can change things as well.

Lyle has some great stuff and general hypertrophy recommendations, and this article by Mike Israetel talks specifically about the back and is worth a read.

https://renaissanceperiodization.com...s-hypertrophy/
Unread 05-14-2017, 07:00 AM

It might be enough for beginner or general health/wellness training or maintenance work for somebody more advanced, but it's unlikely a trainee with 8 years of experience is going to gain size with 7 sets/week of back work.

By 7 sets of back work I mean combined direct work for the lats and traps- traps being the large, diamond shaped muscle that covers much of the mid and upper back.

Those are two distinct, large muscle masses. If hypertrophy is the goal then they should be considered as such although there is some overlap between the two, as well as from other exercises (e.g. deadlift/RDL). There are quite a few smaller muscles that make up the back as well but most synergize with lats/traps making extra work redundant.

It's hard to give a firm number of sets you should do for back, due to the complexity. In practice, you may have to unbalance your training and focus on one area or another.

Other areas worth note:

- Lower back is usually trained with lower body
- You can add direct upper trap work (shrugs) at the end of back work, if needed
- Direct work for rear delts and external rotators (infraspinatus/teres minor) can pair well with back, depending on how your program is set up
Unread 05-14-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid100 View Post
Hey all,

I just had a training / coaching skype call with 1 of the guys from team 3dmj.

I got a split that was Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Chest and Delts

The routine only has 7 sets for back a week. Is this really enough? In the GBR and all the routines ive followed for the past 8 years there has always been 9-12 sets so im wondering if this is ok..
Is your back really much further developed compared to rest of your body? Personally, with their reputation I would be hesitant to second guess their assessment.
Unread 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Is your back really much further developed compared to rest of your body? Personally, with their reputation I would be hesitant to second guess their assessment.
I've worked with these guys before and know some others that have had good experiences. They do have a good rep. I'm assuming your goal in working with them is hypertrophy, and not powerlifting?
Unread 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
I've worked with these guys before and know some others that have had good experiences. They do have a good rep. I'm assuming your goal in working with them is hypertrophy, and not powerlifting?
Maybe you meant to ask the other guy. I never worked with them but apply a lot of principles esp from muscle and strength pyramids. My interest this year is to add 5 to 8 lbs to my torso mostly and get a stronger bench..not purely either hypertrophy nor powerlifting.
Unread 05-15-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Maybe you meant to ask the other guy. I never worked with them but apply a lot of principles esp from muscle and strength pyramids. My interest this year is to add 5 to 8 lbs to my torso mostly and get a stronger bench..not purely either hypertrophy nor powerlifting.
My goal is bodybuilding/hypertrophy, and my back is not lagging at all. It's fine development.. i just still thought either way that 7 is very little.
Unread 05-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
It might be enough for beginner or general health/wellness training or maintenance work for somebody more advanced, but it's unlikely a trainee with 8 years of experience is going to gain size with 7 sets/week of back work.

By 7 sets of back work I mean combined direct work for the lats and traps- traps being the large, diamond shaped muscle that covers much of the mid and upper back.

Those are two distinct, large muscle masses. If hypertrophy is the goal then they should be considered as such although there is some overlap between the two, as well as from other exercises (e.g. deadlift/RDL). There are quite a few smaller muscles that make up the back as well but most synergize with lats/traps making extra work redundant.

It's hard to give a firm number of sets you should do for back, due to the complexity. In practice, you may have to unbalance your training and focus on one area or another.

Other areas worth note:

- Lower back is usually trained with lower body
- You can add direct upper trap work (shrugs) at the end of back work, if needed
- Direct work for rear delts and external rotators (infraspinatus/teres minor) can pair well with back, depending on how your program is set up
I also do 3 sets of RDL's, 8 sets of facepulls, and 3 sets of rear delt on the peck deck
Unread 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Do they have you doing something like 4 sets of rows one upper day and then 3 sets of pulldowns on the other? Seems similar to a Jeff Alberts setup.

I believe they like to start their clients on the lower end of volume and only add when you begin to stall or they see you can recover well from what they've given you. Also, this could just be one training block only. It looks like it has a chest/delts specialization setup.

Any other lower back work outside of the RDL?