BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Lowering Cholesterol

I don't know where else to put this thread so I am hoping here is appropriate.

I think somewhere Lyle has suggested/stated that food cholesterol doesn't impact blood cholesterol. If I am misstating, please correct me.

My doctor has finally conceded (after 4 years) that my blood cholesterol numbers are high because of my "genetics." (parents had high cholesterol too but in later life Dad went on a statin, Mom refused...she's still alive at 92...Dad died at 96).

To lose FAT on my over fat body, I have tweaked my food diet to slight Keto in that there is about 40% fat and 50% protein and the rest is veggie carbs. I have not eaten any fruit in ages trying to steer clear of any carbs other that veggies (lettuce, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, avocado, carrots (very little) and celery).

That said, there are 2 whole eggs I have every morning which is the only food that is high in cholesterol. I cook them in Coconut oil which may also be high in Cholesterol? (I didn't check...I used Coconut for the MCT benefit). The only other source of food cholesterol is the protein which is Aidells sun dried tomatoe sausage and applewood bacon or wild caught salmon or chicken breast. I also periodically consume a Quest bar for added fiber (daily fiber goal is 25+ grams).

Supplements include: Fish oil, red yeast rice extract, fiber pill, and other supplements.

Despite the above (or because of the added fat/eggs) my cholesterol is only going up (342 last test). The ratios are still under 5 (HDL is 76) but the LDL is like 250. I've read David Perlmutter's Grain Brain that suggests that I shouldn't "worry" about these numbers but I still do. I would like to bring the total down to at least 220 or so with keeping my HDL at its level.

I exercise daily by walking 10,000+ steps...and twice a week do resistance training. HELP???
Unread 10-30-2018, 08:42 PM

1. Eat heart-healthy foods
  • Reduce saturated fats
    Eliminate trans fats
    Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids
    Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids
    Increase soluble fiber
    Add whey protein

2. Exercise on most days of the week and increase your physical activity

3. If you are smoking then you should stop

4. Lose weight

5. Drink alcohol only in moderation
Unread 10-31-2018, 06:57 AM

This last year and half I took my cholesterol from 299 to 148. HDL and LDL are in excellent ranges. Both my folks had high cholesterol, but I don't know if it was hereditary or health habits. I dropped over all bodyfat during this time. I ate plenty of protein, oatmeal at least 3 x a week, increased the amount of olive oil and walnuts in my diet. I didn't go crazy strict and enjoyed all holiday meals, but was pretty consistent overall with my eating habits. I didn't eliminate any types of food, just tried for good habits 90% of the time.

My doctors was very surprised and asked me what I had changed. We actually had a great discussion on nutrition because he actually reads up on the current studies.
Unread 11-01-2018, 09:18 PM

I think I will have to watch the "saturated fats" this time around.

not sure whether to give up the eggs as I like them...but they do have cholesterol. If I keep them, I may cook them in olive oil vs. coconut to reduce the saturated fat.

I can get rid of the bacon and sausage protein/fat because I think that was too much "saturated fat"

I will aim for a whole avocado a day as I do like avocado and it has both Monounsaturated fat and fiber (the latter being good for lowering cholesterol).

I will aim for more omega 3s. I do take fish oil and I do have wild salmon twice a week. I may have to aim for 3-4 times a week and add some nuts (walnuts) as they too have good protein/fat and not saturated fat.

I don't eat trans fat that I'm aware of.

I probably should also add an apple a day as that is a good source of fiber...that or berries (that would be my non-veggie carb for the day).

This is difficult to plan.
Unread 11-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Yeah no need to worry about food. If you eat low cholesterol your body will produce more. If you eat high cholesterol your body will produce less.

Diet choices have such a minimal impact on cholesterol it's really not worth mentioning.

Now overall diet matters from the standpoint of losing weight. All your vitals should improve if you just drop 20 lbs of fat. So start cutting. You'll look and feel better too.

For cholesterol levels to improve You need to exercise, you need to stop smoking, you need to limit drinking, and if that doesn't work perhaps look into either better genetics or medicine.

But first just lose the weight. Try a low carb approach for ease and efficiency. Buy leafy vegetables and sell on sugary fruits.

I love IF just for compliance. It makes the diet a lot easier to stick with when you're not hungry or worried about having to eat anything away from home.

Make sure you're getting 10g of fish oil a day and 30-50g of fiber. This will help you regulate your cholesterol levels..

If you're looking to supplement there is no better supplement for weight loss than Psyllium Husk. It's the "magic pill" everyone is always looking for. It's crazy to me that no one markets the heck out of this stuff.

If you eat enough psyllium husk it's basically impossible not to lose weight. Also, if you can tolerate pop a caffeine pill in the morning when you first wake up. If you can't tolerate it, pop half a caffeine pill when you first wake up. If you can't tolerate that, then pop 1/4 a caffeine pill when you first wake up.

Don't make it more difficult than this stuff has to be. Just take psyllium, caffeine, eat less carbs, and exercise. You can't help but shed massive amounts of weight quickly.

I have really good genetics but even at my worst days of eating, drinking ~20 drinks a day, etc my vitals were always good because I walked a LOT, took fish oil, and wasn't fat... do those three things and you'll be good unless your body has real medical concerns

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 11-02-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: a
Unread 11-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Is this about the right spot for random bits and bobs?

Chased down a rabbit hole of studies about metabolic properties of body fat earlier this week inspired by a question on another forum.

Seems there are several studies that have found regular exercise improves the function of body fat...meaning fat goes where it is supposed to go instead of getting deposited in places like the liver. Doesn't seem unreasonable then that having healthy fat that is functioning well could then also help with how cholesterol is handled.

And the other bit is endothelial cells. Saw the theory put forward elsewhere that cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis are perhaps caused by malfunction of endothelial cells lining the blood vessels.

Further found endothelial cells turning up in other disease processes too, kind of like inflammation.

What supports/improves endothelial cells? Don't know, but there definitely seems to be ongoing research on it. Quick first page results for the last year turned up boysenberry and intermittent fasting.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...-aged_Subjects

Only 14 subjects, only read the abstract, no I don't know how big of a difference it made, blah, blah, blah.

Just saying that if I couldn't lower my cholesterol with diet and I didn't want to take statins then I would start looking at other mechanisms involved.

And I'm not any kind of medical professional...just someone with several random interests.

Working on watching Sapolsky's old lectures on youtube lately.