BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Morkai, thanks for your help and suggestions. Almost as a last ditch shot in the dark I got a very low dose Potassium supplement, and for the first time, after taking it, my weight didn't go up so much during the day, and more to the point as my weight went up two pounds during the day my body water percentage rose, which is the exact opposite of what has been happening. Early days to say if it is going to help, and maybe I am clutching at straws.

I feel so low, feel so ugly and fat despite eating virtually nothing.

I haven't noticed any muscle spasms since taking the potassium, and seem to have a bit more energy.

I feel so alone, the doctor just says the tests were normal, I feel intense thirst, tired and muscle cramps, and weight not falling in spite of months of eating very little. Even the low fasting blood tryglyerides show that fat levels are very low?

Fingers crossed, and thanks for your suggestion about taking electrolytes.
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM

I think this needs its own thread.

Whatever your problems are though Fleur, stop trying to monitor/solve them with a BIA scale. They just are not accurate. I don't know if you are a highly strung person, or if its just an incorrect impression from your posts, but taking one of those machine seriously could feed anyones crazy.
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Yes, please take whatever this is out of this thread. It doesn't belong here.
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat mentions "dry carb-loads". If anyone has tried this, are you willing to share your experience? Did you get the desired whoosh or do you feel normal refeeds are as effective?
Thanks in advance!
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Question

Hi lylemcd,

I have a quick question for you:

You wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Note that under normal conditions, fat cells contain ~90% triglycerides and ~10% other stuff where other stuff includes some water, the cellular machinery that makes all the stuff that fat cells make and a couple of other things that I'm forgetting right now.
I spent a few weeks trying to find more information on this, but found nothing (I guess since my background more in computers than bio, so was searching for the wrong keywords).

The question is: If someone were to lose ~90lb of pure fat, what happens to the ~10lb of machinery?
From the information I found, the fat cell opens up, and lets the energy lose, the energy being the pure fat, shrinking in the process, but almost never disintegrating (so that 10% stays there).

Does this mean that you can never lose those last ~10lb of fat (or fat machinery/controllers/whatever it might be called) ?

Actually, what interests me is more the size of the fat cell, rather than the weight. So the question is, if you lose all the fat in a fat cell, is the minimum size of that cell ~10% of it's normal maximum size (before it gets to big and divides)?
Unread 06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

why is water in the fat cell relevant?

Don't we want to remove the fat cell.
Are we born with a limited number of fat cells that will either grow or shrink or when we burn fat do the cells disappear?
Unread 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styleten View Post
why is water in the fat cell relevant?

Don't we want to remove the fat cell.
Are we born with a limited number of fat cells that will either grow or shrink or when we burn fat do the cells disappear?
The number of fat cells generally remains fixed, they only shrink or expand. The number only decreases in cases of liposuction or grievous wounds. The number can increase if someone gets super fat... too fat for the existing fat cells to accomodate.
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrhino View Post
The number of fat cells generally remains fixed, they only shrink or expand. The number only decreases in cases of liposuction or grievous wounds. The number can increase if someone gets super fat... too fat for the existing fat cells to accomodate.
i suspect that one day in the future we will find out that fat cells do actually decline in individuals that have lost a lot of weight (50 plus pounds) and kept it off for a while. i can't be sure of this in any way but i think the mechanisms are still being discovered that control the bodies fat management process.
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by incogenator View Post
i suspect that one day in the future we will find out that fat cells do actually decline in individuals that have lost a lot of weight (50 plus pounds) and kept it off for a while. i can't be sure of this in any way but i think the mechanisms are still being discovered that control the bodies fat management process.
the research is there and there is certanily fat cell turnover going on. But, in the aggregate, fat cell number doesn't change outside of extreme circumstances. And, given that 90% of people fail at dieting, even if apoptosis does occcur after 10 years or something, that's like saying 'never' in the majority of people.

And like hyperplasia in muscle, a decrease in fat cell number will NEVER be the major effect of weight/fat loss or dieting. So it's not really worth worrying about unless you find a way to make it happen at a faster rate. And I've pretty much given up on that project.
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
And I've pretty much given up on that project.
Very clear points Lyle. One more thing, though, since we are on this topic is how much space do empty fat cells occupy? For people that were 40% fat and shrunk down to 10% (males in this example) is there measurable mass and volume due to empty fat cells hanging around that would not be there in the normal never-been-fat guy?