BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Banned

Default Niacin for Lean Gains

So here is the rundown. Basically niacin enhances glucose oxidation during first 1.5 hours, and floods body with free fatty acids at the 2-3 hour mark which will stimulate major fat oxidation. So theoretically, you would take it immediately before your last carbohydrate heavy meal of the day which would also preferably be low in fat. The reason for this is two-fold. You want the meal to be carbohydrate-heavy and low in fat because the niacin will force your body to store all fat and burn glucose. The reason you want it to be the last carbohydrate-heavy meal of the day is because about 2-3 hours after the meal, the body will flood the bloodstream with all the fatty acids that got stored and more in a rebound effect. The body responds accordingly, ramping up fatty acid oxidation. The last thing you want to do is eat carbohydrates when your blood is full of fat and you are literally a fat-burning machine.

I train fasted in the mornings and eat three meals daily with my first being post-workout. In general, on training days I backload my fats so that my carbohydrates come around training, while on recovery days I backload my carbohydrates. I don’t like to mix. Using the above information on niacin’s mode of action:

Training days – Niacin was taken before lunch because that is my last carbohydrate heavy meal for the day. My post-workout meal is covered in terms of insulin sensitivity because of the fasted training, but this should enhance glycogen storage and carbohydrate usage for lunch and set me up to be a fat burning machine during my protein and fat dinner and through the night.

Non-training days – Niacin was taken before dinner because it was my last carbohydrate-heavy meal for the day and sets me up to be a fat-burning machine through the night.
As for the amount, I started with 1g for the first half of the week and increased to 1.5g during the second half. I really didn’t notice any differences between the doses.

The results were surprisingly amazing. I woke up every morning leaner and more “solid” in terms of muscle. I admit it could easily be placebo, but who cares if I am getting results. Nothing about my diet or training changed except for the addition of the niacin. The side-effects (flushing, et al.) disappeared by the third day as well and didn’t come back even when the dosage was increased. Interestingly, the flushing is caused in part by local prostaglandins that require omega-6s to be produced. So the rapid disappearance of the flushing could be a sign that I don’t have a ton of omega-6 in my skin to “fuel” the flushing.

Anyways, that was my experiment for the last month of my bulk. I'm still using it now as I diet a little as there is no reason not to utilize its nutrient partitioning effects provided you are healthy and don't eat the wrong foods with it. For everyone always asking me about staying slim while in a surplus, here you go. It is one of my tricks.

On a related note, it could also be utilized during the depletion workouts of UD2.0 to enhance carbohydrate use during the workout and then flood the blood with fatty acids after it finishes, setting you up for some light cardio. Basically just enhance the built in stubborn fat protocol. Although I don't know how comfortable it would be.
Unread 05-16-2014, 06:56 PM

First I've ever heard of this. How is niacin available? Bottle of niacin at the sup store, or as part of something else?
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rad View Post
First I've ever heard of this. How is niacin available? Bottle of niacin at the sup store, or as part of something else?
Bottle at the supp store. Make sure it is actual niacin (aka nicotinic acid) and not any of the time-release or "no-flush" crap (like niacinamide). That stuff will poison your liver and make this "hack" not work.
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks.
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM

Pretty good deals on Amazon:

500mg
http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Niacin...eywords=niacin

1000mg
http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-Niacin...eywords=niacin
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM

The niacin tinglez are always fun... feels like about 1000 fire ants under your skin.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 05-16-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc View Post
$1.72 for 100x500, marked down from $8.69 - really a pity it's not shipped through amazon.
Unread 05-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Interesting, thanks for the rundown.
Unread 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Ahh yes Niacin, I remember using this stuff back in the day. Did 500mg daily on the UD2 (though I was taking creatine, vinegar, acetyl arginine with low dose R-ALA) and I could have sworn I felt an awesome pump.

the experiment was short lived cuz couldn't stand the flush.

Not sure if Niacin was the main factor to make me feel like that on the higher carb days or the arginine-creatine mix but those were the fun days.

Noticed bigger swings in weight gain during carb ups but that would be lost and then some come low carb UD2 days.

Interesting to see how what comes of this
Unread 05-17-2014, 11:59 AM

I'd be hesitant to take 1g+/day without checking LFTs. I do enjoy the tingles though.