BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Default Permanent Weight Gain

Did a 6 Week RFL and went from 24.5% body fat down to about 18%. I also dropped 18.5lbs by the last day. However, when I upped my calories from 800 to the 1800 calories as I transition to maintenance, I gained 2kg. It's been 5 days of eating at this amount, and I'm still the 2kg heavier.

My maintenance was 2800 before the PSMF, and my plan was to start at 1800 and slowly build back up to maintenance. However, this 2kg weight gain has slightly upset me.

I've read the book multiple times, and this paragraph assures me a little:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle McDonald
When moving to maintenance, most peopleís body weight will increase by a few pounds.
This is especially true after a low-carbohydrate diet (such as this one), especially when
carbohydrates are reintroduced (which Iím going to be suggesting). This small weight gain
simply represents water, electrolytes, increased food in the gut, etc. This weight gain is no
big deal and I donít want people to freak out about it. Remember that you probably
dropped anywhere from 5-10 (or more) pounds of water weight while on this diet,
regaining some should be expected and no big deal.
I just would have expected to have lost even more weight because I'm eating at around an 800 calorie deficit every day at least.

Should I just follow through with the initial plan and slowly move my calories up from 1800 up and track my weight to find maintenance? I plan on dieting again after 2 weeks of maintenance.
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Yeah it's just water weight. You'll loose about that much again in the first few days once you go back. Even with the 2kg taken out 14 pounds in 6 weeks is a pretty good effort. And if it was 800 calorie deficit a day that would predict only about 9-10 pounds loss (42daysx800/3500). So you are definitely doing well.

Just do the diet break and get back to it. You are doing really well!
Unread 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Apologies, I wasn't very clear.
During the actual RFL I was only consuming about 800 calories, putting me at a deficit (accounting for decreased metabolism) of around 1700 calories a day.
I am now eating 1800 calories a day, having ended the PSMF. Before the RFL I maintained at 2800, and assuming my maintenance is now about 2600, after weight loss, I am eating at an 800 calorie deficit right now.

Problem is, my weight has stayed the same since the day after I ended the RFL, and gained 2kg.

So here is my weight:

Sunday 12th Feb (Final Day of PSMF) - 60.7kg
Monday 13th Feb - 61.7kg
Tuesday 14th Feb - 62.0kg
Wednesday 15th Feb - 62.6kg (Now a 2kg increase since ending PSMF)
Thursday 16th Feb - 62.3kg
Friday 17th Feb - 62.0kg

Is this to be expected? I did a carb refeed on my final day of RFL, this the 1kg initial increase. I just didn't expect the continued increase in weight at just 1800 calories.
Unread 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM

If your weights are correct, then you have slowly been losing weight the past 3 days on a calorie deficit. As others have said, you gain some weight back at the end of an rfl. Don't worry and raise you calories up to your estimated maintenance if you're going to do a diet break. Even if it is slightly higher than what your real maintenance is, it shouldn't be a big deal if you haven't overestimated by a ton.
Unread 02-18-2012, 06:18 AM

I'm guessing your time on RFL has decreased your metabolic rate so your true maintenece level is lower than your estimate. Give your body time to adjust to the new caloric level. Perhaps increase your exercise levels (cardio and resistance). If you are still at the same weight or higher, after several weeks, you will need to lower your caloric intake and/or your caloric expenditure if you want to continue lowering body fat.
Unread 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM

read the last of page 70 in the book
Unread 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM

I may have misinterpreted what your goals are after taking a diet break OP. Are you planning on going back to another RFL round or are you going to do a less dramatic diet?
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Less dramatic diet.

Fred - I've read the book many times.
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM

I may have gotten a head of my self and stopped reading when you were complaining about the weight gain. Weight fluctuations is coming from adding carbs back into the diet. 2 kilos is roughly 4.5 pound for this slow American. I can put that on when I eat a normal meal during the week. My weight can fluctuate down 2+ pounds from the night before to the next morning and go up to 5 lbs more depending on what I did that day from morning to night. If you are cycling calories make sure you take your measurements under the same circumstances like the morning of a high day before you load up on food. Don't take a measurement after a high day and then after being dieted down for a few days. Looking at just weight will drive you crazy. Start taking tape measurements or BF measurements. Water can fluctuate too much. If you gain any muscle the scale moves very little if at all or goes backwards and goes up a little. Remember water weight shows as lean mass. Just because you gain weight does not mean its fat. Just give it time to balance out, weight gain is expected coming off this diet and you are moving down again. This may help to understand what water manipulation can do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/furiouspete123

Last edited by Fred : 02-19-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityBeyond View Post
Less dramatic diet.
Do what Deep Purple said.