BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default I took your advice Lyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
seriously, you're still in bro-land with this nonsense. Read the articles, read the generic bulk, read the discussions. You have much to learn.
OK Lyle, I took your advice. I have done A LOT of reading and research on your site. Does this look better?:

I have poor recovery so I can't do a 4 days a week routine so I will be doing a 3 days a week routine (altered generic bulk type workout ABA BAB). I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10 keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all 3 sets with 10 reps. I will do this workout cycle for 6 weeks (2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting). I am doing 3x8-10 because of my previous injuries and surgeries and I don't want to risk getting hurt with a lower rep range.

Day 1 Upper

1. Flat dumbbell bench press
2. Neutral grip seated machine rows
3. Seated dumbbell shoulder press
4. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front

Day 2 Lower

1. Sled hack squat machine
2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

After this workout cycle gets completed, I will than do this next workout cycle for 6 weeks (again, 2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting):

Day 1 Upper

3. Low incline dumbbell bench press
5. Seated dumbbell lateral raises

*The reason I added seated dumbbell lateral raises is because I have dropped seated dumbbell shoulder press in this workout and added low incline dumbbell bench press, therefore I needed something that really hits the side delts.

Day 2 Lower (this lower day is same as the lower day in the first cycle)

2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

The reason I didn't include any direct arm training is for a few reasons: 1. I feel my arms get worked enough by doing the compound pushes and pulls. By the time I get done with those, my arms are so pumped where direct arm training is useless. 2. After doing the compound pushes and pulls, not only do I feel that direct arm training is useless...I feel it can be detrimental. When I do direct arm training after compounds, if I try to do tris or bis, my elbows get fried beyond belief. 3. Not to be funny, but my arms are probably my best body part. I don't need extra work on them.

The reason my lower day looks so limited is because I can't do certain exercises due to old injuries (SLDL, back squats, front squats, deads, etc.). Plus, my gym doesn't have a leg press machine, a seated calve machine, or a seated leg curl machine.

So what do you think Lyle? Is this an improvement (even to the point where you would say this is a good routine? LOL)

Last edited by Vic Mackey : 03-23-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I think you should just do the generic bulk on an ABA frequency and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
I think you should just do the generic bulk on an ABA frequency and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
As I wrote in the original thread, I AM doing it on an ABA frequency. See:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
...I will be doing a 3 days a week routine (altered generic bulk type workout ABA BAB)...

Last edited by Vic Mackey : 03-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

I'm a little confused by your last comment Lyle. What do you feel is wrong with the routine I posted? I would gladly accept your suggestions. And as I stated above, I AM doing it on an ABA frequency.

I don't mean to be a pain Lyle. I'm here to learn.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

I took your advice, Vic, and a burned the Serbian's money.
Unread 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaf View Post
I took your advice, Vic, and a burned the Serbian's money.
I think you meant 'the Armenians money'. And Vic didn't advise that, he was against it. You're obviously not a true fan of the show.
Unread 03-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'm a little confused by your last comment Lyle. What do you feel is wrong with the routine I posted? I would gladly accept your suggestions. And as I stated above, I AM doing it on an ABA frequency.

I don't mean to be a pain Lyle. I'm here to learn.
If I were Lyle, I wouldn't want to have to critique everyone's made-up routines, assessing it for gaps or potential overlaps, etc. Especially given that he's already designed a generic lifting routine with ABA BAB structure.

I'm guessing that's what he's saying.

Here's answering your question with another question: Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel instead of just following Lyle's basic structure? Even if you swap out an exercise here or there based on preference, the basic structure works.
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
OK Lyle, I took your advice. I have done A LOT of reading and research on your site. Does this look better?:

I have poor recovery so I can't do a 4 days a week routine so I will be doing a 3 days a week routine (altered generic bulk type workout ABA BAB). I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10 keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all 3 sets with 10 reps. I will do this workout cycle for 6 weeks (2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting). I am doing 3x8-10 because of my previous injuries and surgeries and I don't want to risk getting hurt with a lower rep range.

Day 1 Upper

3. Seated dumbbell shoulder press

Day 2 Lower

2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

After this workout cycle gets completed, I will than do this next workout cycle for 6 weeks (again, 2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting):

Day 1 Upper

3. Low incline dumbbell bench press
5. Seated dumbbell lateral raises

*The reason I added seated dumbbell lateral raises is because I have dropped seated dumbbell shoulder press in this workout and added low incline dumbbell bench press, therefore I needed something that really hits the side delts.

Day 2 Lower (this lower day is same as the lower day in the first cycle)

2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

The reason I didn't include any direct arm training is for a few reasons: 1. I feel my arms get worked enough by doing the compound pushes and pulls. By the time I get done with those, my arms are so pumped where direct arm training is useless. 2. After doing the compound pushes and pulls, not only do I feel that direct arm training is useless...I feel it can be detrimental. When I do direct arm training after compounds, if I try to do tris or bis, my elbows get fried beyond belief. 3. Not to be funny, but my arms are probably my best body part. I don't need extra work on them.

The reason my lower day looks so limited is because I can't do certain exercises due to old injuries (SLDL, back squats, front squats, deads, etc.). Plus, my gym doesn't have a leg press machine, a seated calve machine, or a seated leg curl machine.

So what do you think Lyle? Is this an improvement (even to the point where you would say this is a good routine? LOL)
just hit the gym and see what happens. ABA-BAB is good, obviously your injuries will be a limitation but thats how it is. personally i wouldn't exclude direct arm training but thats me ( for example you could add a few sets of arms to your leg workout ). add side raises to your upper body day (workout cycle 1). also maybe do 4x8-10 on flat db press on workout cycle 1 (because you are only doing one chest exercise and you mentioned you can't do flyes). can you do hyperextensions? so that you do atleast something for your lower back.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 03-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlakramondas View Post
...add side raises to your upper body day (workout cycle 1)...
mrlakramondas, I really appreciate all the help you have given me since I joined this forum. But I do have one question: why in the above quote do you suggest that I add side raises to upper body day in workout cycle 1 when I am already doing seated dumbbell shoulder press (with elbows flared out)? I thought those DO work side delts? The only reason I added seated dumbbell lateral raises to upper body workout cycle 2 was because I have dropped seated dumbbell shoulder press (with elbows flared out) in this workout and added low incline dumbbell bench press, therefore I needed something that really hits the side delts. I had a full thickness supraspinatus repair in October of 2008 so I'm a little leary of adding a second exercise that stresses the supraspinatus especially when I'm doing this workout every 4-5 days (3 times in 2 weeks).

If I were to just stick with the seated dumbbell shoulder press (with elbows flared out) on upper body workout cycle 1, would that be enough for my side delts? On the flip side if I were to just stick with seated dumbbell lateral raises on upper body workout cycle 2, would that be enough for my side delts?

Last edited by Vic Mackey : 03-23-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 03-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Vic(Jim),
Please...for God's sake...just do Lyle's Generic Bulk, swap out exercises as needed.

Your gonna get flamed so bad here that you may literally burst into flames in front of your monitor if you keep this up.

I was a HUGE over-analyzer myself in the past(and still am at times), so I get where you're coming from. Once I let go of that and just DID the routine, I progressed and made gains. TRUST what "The Man" has laid out.

Here's the formula...Generic Bulk, get your food in check(huge for you), progress. Now go put time into it, stop jumping in and out of routines, and trying to create the "perfect workout".

Not trying to slam you, you know you're my man, kid, but if you keep up the "hey Lyle, whaddaya think of this one" stuff, you're gonna get hammered here.

You're a smart guy, and pretty knowledgable. Keep reading, learning, and ACCEPT the advice that is given to you. Once you do that, I have no doubt that you will get where you want to be