BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Protein Book
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Default minimum protein requirements?

I am 5'8" 153lb female w/ 18% body fat. I have dieted down to this weight from a whole lot more. I have issues "allowing" myself to eat enough in general. I want to continue to see my bf drop and my lean muscle improve. What are the minimum protein requirements for this and is it acceptable to use protein bars or shakes to get in a majority of the protein. Keep in mind I know this is not the ideal, but until I can get these "issues" and "food fears" worked out, I need a minimum number to shoot for. I should also add I weight train 3 x's a week on an ABA BAB upper lower split and do cardio 5 to 6x's per week @ a minimum of 45 minutes per session. Thanks for the help and sorry if ? is posted in the wrong forum.
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080808 View Post
I want to continue to see my bf drop and my lean muscle improve. What are the minimum protein requirements for this and is it acceptable to use protein bars or shakes to get in a majority of the protein.
OK, firstly you know that these goals cannot be tackled at the same time, right? You can either continue to lose fat, OR you can focus on building lean body mass. Trying to do both at the same time (sans drugs, or programs such as the UD2) will have you spinning your wheels - you'll do neither well.

I'm going to guess that you may say "well, I've accomplished exactly that thus far" ... and I'm afraid I'd question the method you're using to calculate body fat %. They are notoriously inaccurate. Doesn't detract from a large weight loss though - well done

Your protein requirements will depend on the answer to the question above - it can't be answered in isolation. On a hypocaloric diet, protein requirements go up. If eating above maintenance, they are lower.

Have you been implementing diet breaks and refeeds? As you get leaner, they will become more important. You'll need to conquer the fear of eating though ...
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM

I don't want to lose the lean body mass I have. I do realize BF calculations are inaccurate and depends on the "skill" of the person taking the measurements. I feel quite comfortable with his abilities but do know that it could be off by a few %. It is just a measurement tool for me to see some progress if/when the scale stops moving.

No refeeds, no diet breaks. That will require more work on my part on the food issues.
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080808 View Post
I don't want to lose the lean body mass I have.

What are the minimum protein requirements for this and is it acceptable to use protein bars or shakes to get in a majority of the protein.
Where have you set calories? The recommendation in the Protein Book is that women will need to keep protein at a minimum of 1.2- 1.5g/lb.

There's nothing inherently wrong with shakes or bars, no. But they're not very satisfying (most will certainly find a serving of lean meat will satiate much better than the equivalent protein in a shake), and they do little to entrain good habits to set you up for successful meal planning when transitioning back into maintenance. You'd also be missing out on the vitamins, minerals and cofactors in whole foods - and for many women that can be a real issue w.r.t iron in particular.

I wouldn't use them for the majority of my protein, no way. As an adjunct, fine.

Quote:
No refeeds, no diet breaks. That will require more work on my part on the food issues.
You know that they help you diet more efficiently, right? It's not just a mental cheat thing.