BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Round two of my 'bit-by-bit' RFL experiment

Hey Everybody! Back again for my next round of RFL, and I could hardly wait to get back to it. So needless to say I am super excited and motivated to get going!!

Stats: 38yo F cat 3
weight 209.1 lbs
fat 38.3 %
waist 38"

A link to my last log: https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=32826

When I left last time I ended at about 208lbs, and was expecting to add back around 5 lbs of water weight, but somehow I just stayed at 208. This was very unexpected. Over the next 2 months, I was able to maintain within a couple pounds of this weight really easily, without watching what I ate or doing anything special except for purposely NOT dieting in any way and eating whatever I wanted (within the confines of the SFED diet I am determined to complete this year), but not binging (which is easy when you don't restrict yourself). At one point i even lost a couple more pounds, but I started to feel like I was TRYING to restrict to lose more and it wasn't totally natural so I re-focused and then found I had gone back up to 208.

So you may be getting the idea of what I am trying to do here - lose just a bit of weight, and then make sure I can maintain it without trying, thereby making sure it has become my new homeostatic point. So just like the RFL full diet break, but more often and for a longer period between dieting. With all the negativity in the media lately about people losing large amounts having their own body chemistry fighting them at every turn (and my own experiences gaining back weight after dieting), and people supposedly not being able to maintain more than 10% weight loss etc. etc. I am wondering if I can use that info both to my advantage, and also to prove the doomsday message incorrect. The first round 'experiment' worked, now to see if it is repeatable. going to see if this is my recipe for success

So the plan for this round - lose a max of 15-18 lbs, 20 lbs including water weight, I suppose (keeping under 10% loss), then break for another 2 months.

Six Food Elimination Diet: This round coincides with adding back eggs, which works out well as they are a great lean protein source! So far I have added seafood for 2 months, and peanuts for 2 months. I did not get clear symptoms with either food so I fear they are both triggers, which is unusual as they are the 2 least common triggers for my particular autoimmune condition. But as long as it's not eggs or dairy!! fingers and toes crossed that eggs work out!

Thanks for reading
Unread 05-03-2017, 01:34 AM

Best of luck to you. I remember following your previous log and hopefully you'll be just as successful this time.

Is there a reason for a 2 month diet break rather than a 2-4 week one?
Unread 05-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
Best of luck to you. I remember following your previous log and hopefully you'll be just as successful this time.

I'm also curious about this. 2 weeks is enough to normalize leptin/thyroid hormones which are the main issues when dieting down. If it's more for your psychological benefit, then definitely go for it but if you think you'll get much more physiological benefit from 2months vs 2-4 weeks, I believe that would more than likely be wasted time.
Unread 05-03-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks Tellurium!

There are 2 reasons for the longer break:
1) Mostly because it coincides with adding back the higher calorie/higher carb foods I need to add back and eat large quantities of on the elimination diet my doc has me on (nuts were on the last break, cheese and dairy for the next break, and wheat later in the year). when this is no longer a factor i will try shortening the break.
2) But also, I am seeing if a longer break will really cement the new weight as a 'setpoint' so my body will not try to eat back the weight I have lost. Once I know this is the case I can shorten it each time and see how that works for my body. i know the science says the 2 weeks should be enough for this purpose, but psychologically, if I can maintain a weight for a longer period without effort, that gives me much more confidence.
Unread 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Day 2

Good morning everyone!

Today's stats:
weight 207.5 lbs (-1.6)
waist 38"

Yesterday's Macros:
Didn't log yesterday. Realized I was sadly under-prepared for this round of RFL and have a house full of fruit! I ate a few pieces yesterday so sugars would have been pretty high so I didn't bother. I actually wasn't sure I would have much of a loss today! I still have 2 apples, a plum and 2 mangoes. might have another day or two with high carbs to get rid of these little tasties unless I can find other homes for them...
Unread 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I'm also curious about this. 2 weeks is enough to normalize leptin/thyroid hormones which are the main issues when dieting down. If it's more for your psychological benefit, then definitely go for it but if you think you'll get much more physiological benefit from 2months vs 2-4 weeks, I believe that would more than likely be wasted time.
I hear you - It does extend the process by quite a lot... Who knows, I could change my mind at any time lol
Unread 05-04-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Thanks Tellurium!

There are 2 reasons for the longer break:
1) Mostly because it coincides with adding back the higher calorie/higher carb foods I need to add back and eat large quantities of on the elimination diet my doc has me on (nuts were on the last break, cheese and dairy for the next break, and wheat later in the year). when this is no longer a factor i will try shortening the break.
2) But also, I am seeing if a longer break will really cement the new weight as a 'setpoint' so my body will not try to eat back the weight I have lost. Once I know this is the case I can shorten it each time and see how that works for my body. i know the science says the 2 weeks should be enough for this purpose, but psychologically, if I can maintain a weight for a longer period without effort, that gives me much more confidence.
I see where you are coming from but do you really want your "set-point" at 38%? In my opinion you are prolonging the inevitable and would be better off dieting for those 2 months and then assessing where you are at. So many people let their foot of the gas and ultimately slide back into old ways. 2 week it is hard to do too much damage but 2 months could be a big step back.

Just my thoughts and observations though. You have to do what's best for you!
Unread 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I see where you are coming from but do you really want your "set-point" at 38%? In my opinion you are prolonging the inevitable and would be better off dieting for those 2 months and then assessing where you are at. So many people let their foot of the gas and ultimately slide back into old ways. 2 week it is hard to do too much damage but 2 months could be a big step back.

Just my thoughts and observations though. You have to do what's best for you!
You have a point, and no I don't want to be set at 38% forever, but if I think of it as a stepping stone it's not so bad. The thing is that I have lost large amounts before, and have always gained the weight back, plus more. In fact I have been dieting for around 8 years now, and all that has happened is I have ended up 60 lbs heavier than when I started (ugh). The end of every diet was just unstoppable hunger and eventually I was either restricting like crazy or binging and it was the WORST. I wish I had never laid eyes that stupid south beach diet book!! Now it has to be all about repairing my brain when it comes to food so I don't think that way anymore. If this slow, boring, drawn-out process is going to work for me, ultimately it's worth it in the end. I definitely appreciate hearing alternate points of view, though. It helps to hear what direction people think I should modify my approach toward, and what has worked well for others. Thanks!
Unread 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Default Day 3

Good Morning!

Welllll, Day 2 was kind of blown. Normally I would not have a free meal so early, but it was the first day of patio weather where I am, after a very long very cold and rainy spring, and friends were calling..... So I succumbed and had a couple beers and a free meal. And it was wonderful. Social interaction is just as important to health as a healthy body, if you ask me. So I balanced yesterday. Back to the diet today! Thank goodness for free meals

Stats:
209.9 lbs (+2.4 / +0.8)
Unread 05-05-2017, 09:51 AM

Default Day 4

Stats:
209.7 lbs (-0.2 / +0.6)
waist: 38"

Ugh - lady problems. retaining a bunch of water apparently. kind of a bummer after a super nutritionally tight day yesterday, but I'm not really worried as I know I will balance out tomorrow. One puffy day a month is not really anything to get caught up about, it just fell at a bad time for seeing some early diet progress!! lol. I wish I could confidently say by monday I will be down a bunch of weight, but I also have a big dinner on Saturday so I may still be catching up from the free meal. But watch out Wednesday! haha. I'm feeling very relaxed about this round apparently. At this point it is almost reflexive. Do the things. Take the supps. Lose the fat. Scale is almost irrelevant.

Have a wonderful and productive weekend, everyone