BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Default Diet Cycles

I have a question about whether the length of diet cycles matters much.

Does it matter if I do diet & diet break cycles of 4 weeks of dieting with 2 weeks of a break vs 2 weeks of dieting with 1 week break or even 10 days dieting with 4 days break, in the long run, assuming calories consumed during the diet periods and maintenance periods & exercise is held constant?

I can give some background and specifics if it'll help, but I think it probably isn't important.

I know myself pretty well, what I can and can't tolerate well when dieting and I'm thinking a 9-10 day on/4-5 day off diet cycle would really work well for me psychologically.

Would it be less effective than longer diet cycles?

And if it's an acceptable way to cycle, and knowing I'll cycle this until the end of June or mid-July, would it be smart to structure it with one free meal mid-diet cycle and then a refeed at the beginning of the break?

Thanks to anyone who might have some ideas or input.
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

there is a werid phenomenon and this will sound like voodo (and might be) where by a certain amount of inertia can be built up

we've all seen that it often takes a week or two for the diet to 'kick in' in terms of measurable losses of anything. in beginners (esp women), I've seen it takes 4 weeks

I've even seen it where, coming off of a period of long periods of overeating, you actually seem to get fatter during the ifrst week of the diet

as well, oftne when you come off of a diet, you may continue to lean out after the first week

in which case, I think very short dieting cycles could potentially backfire

unless all of the above is just a water balance issue, which it probably is anyhow

in which case it won't matter
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM

LOL!

So, the answer is maybe okay, maybe not. Okay, I can live with that. The water balance issue is definitely a confoundinig factor with me.

I am coming off my the diet portion of first diet cycle experiment now (two weeks on/one week maintenance). I'm going to see where my weight lands after my week of maintenance and hopefully that water weight will settle by then and I can judge how much I really lost in my two weeks of dieting. It *should* be 4 lbs, I had two weeks of 1000 cal/day deficit.

If that works, I may try the 9/5 day cycle and see if I can keep the 1.33 lb/week average loss on that cycle.
Unread 04-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
there is a werid phenomenon and this will sound like voodo (and might be) where by a certain amount of inertia can be built up

we've all seen that it often takes a week or two for the diet to 'kick in' in terms of measurable losses of anything. in beginners (esp women), I've seen it takes 4 weeks

I've even seen it where, coming off of a period of long periods of overeating, you actually seem to get fatter during the ifrst week of the diet

as well, oftne when you come off of a diet, you may continue to lean out after the first week

in which case, I think very short dieting cycles could potentially backfire

unless all of the above is just a water balance issue, which it probably is anyhow

in which case it won't matter
I noticed this the last time I went into a diet break and thought I was imagining things.

To the OP, I've tried something akin to short dieting cycles in the past (mostly because I was started to get physically miserable eating at a deficit for more than 2 weeks at a time) and that approach didn't get me anywhere.

Have you considered carb/calorie cycling or something similar?
Unread 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM

I've tried calorie/carb cycling, it doesn't work very well for me. I'm a pretty terrible dieter, I have a really low threshold for feeling deprived.

I lost 100 lbs in 2003/04. To the end of 2005, I lost another 30. I have 15-20 to get me to where I want to be finally (I'm 5'7", 165lbs today). For the last 2 1/2 years, I've been alternating between trying (and failing) with various methods to get the last of the weight off with just enjoying maintaining where I am.

I'm giving it one (hopefully) last shot. I've got plastic surgery booked August 7th - sagging skin repair surgery. I'd like to be at 150 on surgery day.

But I'm burnt out on dieting and have very little willpower left. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to get to the end of this current two week diet and know I could eat today. LOL! I've tried PSMF, it's too tough for me for any length of time. I can suck it up and diet hard for a short period, but I mean short, lately if I get to 2.5 or 3 weeks, I end up falling off the wagon. I've tried a moderate calorie deficit of 500-750 cals a day and it feels like eternal deprivation with no relief.

If two weeks on/one week off or 9 days on/5 days off will work (and I guess I'll only know by trying), I'm pretty sure it's a method I can sustain for the next three months.