BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM

I've always done the first one and since I usually eat similar things everyday it gets to be pretty easy. Especially with smart phone apps.
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you all for sharing your insight and experience. This is very useful.
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM

I've counted for the last year. It's no longer a compulsion or anything mentally stressful though, more like second nature. I can also switch it off at will i.e. going away for the weekend.

Unlike some here, I do it all in my head and don't log it. Mostly due to indolence.
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:53 PM

yeah, spend some hard time logging and tracking everything and it does burn in. Modules work.
You get to be pretty good at judging just by 'feel'. I'm back here after nearly a year 'off the wagon' completely. No paying attention, no diet, no gym. And i gained only 4 pounds. I'm really surprised. I just kind of kept these basic rules in the back of my mind:
-The fifteen minute feed/satiety response time.
- I usually didn't eat anyting until 2 pm.
- 'eating until painfully full' was limited to once a week, and the most important rule which came from my 99 year old grandma:
"It's ok to go to bed hungry once in a while'
The fallback was always RFL: Lean proteins and green veggies
Funny residual habit: I eat 2 cans of tuna, drained, and coated w/ yellow mustard ever day.
Back to the gym!

I guess the trick is to spend enought time learning how to track and log that you get to where you pay attention without really paying attention. They should teach that in school.

Last edited by harper : 08-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

If I am trying to lose fat, I weigh and log everything meticulously.

If I am not trying to lose fat, I log everything... Weigh as much as I can. I've got pretty good at estimating, so I approximate/estimate (if i have to)... But I always keep a log, as matter of habit.
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

Dieting I count and weigh/measure everyday

"moving into maintenance" I count and weigh/measure everyday

Bulking I count loosly, weigh/measure some things and eye ball other things

Maintenance, I don't count or weigh/measure anything but usually just know the composition of most everything I eat, so it's a pretty good ballpark.

That's how I keep it balanced between being aobsessive compulsive and flexible thoghout the year.
Unread 08-11-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Dieting I count and weigh/measure everyday

"moving into maintenance" I count and weigh/measure everyday

Bulking I count loosly, weigh/measure some things and eye ball other things
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=12039

good luck
Unread 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM

At first - counting exact calories using nutritional labels and calorieking.com.au where needed.
Similar to Lyle, I now remember the calories in virtually everything I eat on a daily basis, so no more need for spreadsheet work.

I am still needing to lose weight, so mainly I just need to be careful with any extras.....e.g. during one week of my diet I became concerned that I was being a bit sloppy with my servings of the "things that count" (fats mainly). So it was back to the measuring spoons for a couple days to remind myself.
I have experienced that "calorie creep" is very real, and very subtle. That's my exeperience anyway.

Also - as I kept meticulous records for a period pre-diet, I am fully aware of the amount of calories I was consuming whilst 'maintaining' (or more likey, 'slightly gaining'), and knowing what that "looks like" helps too. It means if I do have some "extras" or whatever, I know I can still stay well under pre-diet calories, so I don't get all down on myself etc.

The only thing is - I think it's weird that if I see an apple I think, "70 calories" or whatever. I think it's a bit strange to have all these numbers in your head but it is helpful!