BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Default Please provide feedback on my diet/exercise plan

Hello,
Id appreciate some feedback on my plan. Ill try to use bullet points as much as practical to communicate information succinctly:

Current Stats: Male, 31 y/o, 57, 177.5 lbs, 34 in waist, approximately 19% BF
Goal: Fat loss and general health; would like to reach 12% BF
Diet history: Successfully used RFL and FD for a time (cant remember specifics, but was about 204 lbs and 26% at January 1, 2011). Have completed two maintenance cycles. Currently attempting to follow a TKD struggling in keeping carbs below 30 G a day as Im eating mostly whole foods. Without a doubt I am keeping carbs below 75 G a day. I monitor cals very closely and track them on a spreadsheet. Currently eat body weight times 9.88 for target cals and doing one free meal and one re-feed per week.
Training history: I had surgery on my chest 5 weeks ago (doc cleared me to exercise 4 weeks post-op), therefore, Im considering myself a newb. Prior to surgery, I would perform body weight exercises and misc cardio off and on.
Personal time constraints: Married, two kids, very long commute, long hours at office (desk job)

My personal life and work schedules make it almost impossible for me to go to the gym during the week, therefore I row 6,000 meters a day (Mon-Fri) on a concept 2 rower. It takes me about 35-45 mins to complete 6,000 meters, depending on intensity. Per the concept 2 website (which considers certain readings from the rower after completing exercise), my real calorie burn for my intensity, duration, and weight, is approximately 300-320 per 6,000 meter session.

This past weekend I started going to the gym for resistance exercise (this was my first resistance exercise session since I had surgery 5 weeks ago). After reading some of Lyles articles, I did the following (using not too heavy weights):

Squats: 3 sets x 5 reps
Bench Press: 3 sets x 5 reps
Deadlift: 2 sets x 5 reps
Lat Pull down: 3 sets x 5 reps
Crunches: 3 sets x 10 reps
Push-ups: 2 sets x 10 reps

What Id ask for is
1) either affirmation that Im on the right path given the stated goals and situational specifics described above;
2) or proposed approaches within my constraints of being able to perform cardio (at home) 5 times per week and performing resistance exercises once per week.

Also, Lyles articles explain that form is very important while performing an exercise. Is there a good book, video, or other resource that not only describes resistance type exercises but also identifies common form mistakes and how to address them?

Thanks in advance,
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12914 View Post
Hello,
Id appreciate some feedback on my plan. Ill try to use bullet points as much as practical to communicate information succinctly:

Current Stats: Male, 31 y/o, 57, 177.5 lbs, 34 in waist, approximately 19% BF
Goal: Fat loss and general health; would like to reach 12% BF
Diet history: Successfully used RFL and FD for a time (cant remember specifics, but was about 204 lbs and 26% at January 1, 2011). Have completed two maintenance cycles. Currently attempting to follow a TKD struggling in keeping carbs below 30 G a day as Im eating mostly whole foods. Without a doubt I am keeping carbs below 75 G a day. I monitor cals very closely and track them on a spreadsheet. Currently eat body weight times 9.88 for target cals and doing one free meal and one re-feed per week.
Training history: I had surgery on my chest 5 weeks ago (doc cleared me to exercise 4 weeks post-op), therefore, Im considering myself a newb. Prior to surgery, I would perform body weight exercises and misc cardio off and on.
Personal time constraints: Married, two kids, very long commute, long hours at office (desk job)

My personal life and work schedules make it almost impossible for me to go to the gym during the week, therefore I row 6,000 meters a day (Mon-Fri) on a concept 2 rower. It takes me about 35-45 mins to complete 6,000 meters, depending on intensity. Per the concept 2 website (which considers certain readings from the rower after completing exercise), my real calorie burn for my intensity, duration, and weight, is approximately 300-320 per 6,000 meter session.

This past weekend I started going to the gym for resistance exercise (this was my first resistance exercise session since I had surgery 5 weeks ago). After reading some of Lyles articles, I did the following (using not too heavy weights):

Squats: 3 sets x 5 reps
Bench Press: 3 sets x 5 reps
Deadlift: 2 sets x 5 reps
Lat Pull down: 3 sets x 5 reps
Crunches: 3 sets x 10 reps
Push-ups: 2 sets x 10 reps

What Id ask for is
1) either affirmation that Im on the right path given the stated goals and situational specifics described above;
2) or proposed approaches within my constraints of being able to perform cardio (at home) 5 times per week and performing resistance exercises once per week.

Also, Lyles articles explain that form is very important while performing an exercise. Is there a good book, video, or other resource that not only describes resistance type exercises but also identifies common form mistakes and how to address them?

Thanks in advance,
YouTube for form, keep protein high while in a caloric deficit = profit?

You're overweight - 19% is a fair but of flubb. Just eat less and it will come off.
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Never look at youtube for form. Starting strength by mark rippetoe (2nd ed) covers all the main lifts and how to do them.

Plan looks fine, once you get to 14-15% you might need to tweak it a bit, but for now it's ok. If you plan on doing the weights workout more than twice a week you might not want to do squats and deadlifts on the same day though, would be too tiring on the low back when the weights get heavier.

Alternating between workout A and workout B would work better in that case, so you do A/B/A one week, then B/A/B the next week.

Workout a
back squat 3 x 5
press 3 x 5
chinup/inverted row 3 x 10
dip/pushup 3 x 10
abs 3 x 15

Workout b
deadlift 3 x 5
bench 3 x 5
leg press 3 x 10
seated row 3 x 10
back extension 3 x 15

Something along those lines.
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Thank you both for the prompt replies.

I'll use some amazon credit I have and buy the Rippetoe book (http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...5&sr=8-1-fkmr1).

In respect to the rowing 5 times a week, I take your non-commentary to mean continue as described?

In respect to the TKD and the issue with keeping carbs below 30 G (but am able to keep them below 75 G), no issue there as well?

I might as well make it 3 questions... I've read that for newbs like me, it is very plausible to not see weight change while at the same time losing fat as a result of starting a weight lifting program and gaining a bit of muscle. What are your thoughts? I plan to use tape measure at the waist to monitor. Also, the 19% BF is my best estimate based on measurement, but I'm excited to share that next Monday I will have my BF assessed by hydrostatic testing and have an accurate measurement.

For those of you in the Houston area, Memorial Hermann Hospital in the medical center performs hydrostatic testing for $40 -> http://www.memorialhermann.org/locat...t.aspx?id=2932

Thanks again for your time and feedback,
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Sorry, forgot about your other questions. Some rowing at a leisurely pace a few times a week is fine for cardio, altho if you're sitting all day at work, it might be good to go for a walk instead to try and get some sun and avoid more sitting, depends on circumstances though.

Staying under 100g will keep you in ketosis, and if you're 75g with a lot of that being pre-workout then you'll be back in ketosis soon after your workout, so 75g is fine. Some people perform well on low carbs, other bonk horribly. If you find yourself really lacking energy, dragging yourself around the gym, feeling weak etc, add in some more carbs so you're at maybe 130-160g/day, but keep calories and protein the same (lower fat). However, as you're so sedentary during the day you don't need a huge amount of carbs, and ketosis isn't magic for fat loss, it's more of a compliance thing as some people feel better on low carb and control their calories better that way.
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
Sorry, forgot about your other questions. Some rowing at a leisurely pace a few times a week is fine for cardio, altho if you're sitting all day at work, it might be good to go for a walk instead to try and get some sun and avoid more sitting, depends on circumstances though.

Staying under 100g will keep you in ketosis, and if you're 75g with a lot of that being pre-workout then you'll be back in ketosis soon after your workout, so 75g is fine. Some people perform well on low carbs, other bonk horribly. If you find yourself really lacking energy, dragging yourself around the gym, feeling weak etc, add in some more carbs so you're at maybe 130-160g/day, but keep calories and protein the same (lower fat). However, as you're so sedentary during the day you don't need a huge amount of carbs, and ketosis isn't magic for fat loss, it's more of a compliance thing as some people feel better on low carb and control their calories better that way.
Many thanks popup!
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupwindow View Post
Never look at youtube for form. Starting strength by mark rippetoe (2nd ed) covers all the main lifts and how to do them.

Plan looks fine, once you get to 14-15% you might need to tweak it a bit, but for now it's ok. If you plan on doing the weights workout more than twice a week you might not want to do squats and deadlifts on the same day though, would be too tiring on the low back when the weights get heavier.

Alternating between workout A and workout B would work better in that case, so you do A/B/A one week, then B/A/B the next week.

Workout a
back squat 3 x 5
press 3 x 5
chinup/inverted row 3 x 10
dip/pushup 3 x 10
abs 3 x 15

Workout b
deadlift 3 x 5
bench 3 x 5
leg press 3 x 10
seated row 3 x 10
back extension 3 x 15

Something along those lines.
dont you think he has to regret and unlearn that squats technique later in his life..i.e looking down/ hip drive/forward lean etc..i had a hard time relearning squats..
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Yeah, I should have mentioned back squats are the one thing taught poorly in SS. Everything else is solid though. I can't think of a good resource on learning the squat off the top of my head though, maybe something by Dan John? Otherwise start with light weight and post a video here for help.
Unread 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM

First post here, and I'm not a Rippetoe fanboy but I think most people that hate on the Rippetoe style low-bar back-squat do not understand that there are many different squat styles. I believe Rippetoe's technique is correct for someone with the bar placed super-low on the back with feet at just wider-than-shoulder width. The head is in alignment w/ the spine.

A power-lifting squat with a wide stance and a high-bar oly-style squat require different head position. This is the wrong forum for this discussion, however, so I'll shut up now.
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Except that Rips head position along with the 'recover with the hips' cue invariably ends up in a GM'ed back squat which is what video of folks following his technique invariably show. Which isn't a good way to back squat for most regardless of bar position. That's what's being commented on.

Because you can and should do a generic power squat (what Rip is teaching) that is neither wide stance PL or OL with both a neutral head position and without GM'ing it up. I've taught it enough times to know this for a fact.

And save the defensiveness for elsewhere.