BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-16-2010, 04:50 AM

Default "Peaking"

Hi,

Newbie question. I'm in a transformation contest and approaching the final two weeks, and I would like to peak my condition to look well for the final photo shoot.

So far I went from 21 %-bf to 15 %-bf and expect to drop a little more during the final weeks (14 %-bf would be nice). Nothing spectacular, but I'm starting to get some muscle definition, love handles are more or less gone and I can at least see the contours of the abs. I'm a light-weighter (70 kg). What I've done so far is a simple moderate diet (low calories on off days and up to maintenance on lifting days with the extra calories around the workout), which seems to have worked pretty well. Had some 160-170 g. protein, 60-70 g. fat and the rest carbs. Not expecting to win anything, but for my own sake I would like to look the best I can.

I'm a complete newbie on this so any advice on how to set up the final two weeks would be highly appreciated. I've read about bodybuilding peaking techniques, but I'm not sure those are applicable for someone at my condition.
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:55 AM

Do a search for e.g. 'sodium' and my name, and you'll find several threads, e.g.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...ghlight=sodium
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Do a search for e.g. 'sodium' and my name, and you'll find several threads, e.g.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showt...ghlight=sodium
Thanks! Went through the threads and I see that all of the "peakers" were on more or less low carbs the week before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Yeah, don't do a regular carbup for fitness/figure contests. I don't like doing a lot of depletion either. You can start off one week out with slightly less carbs and some high rep work. Gradually taper training and cardio as the week progresses, I prefer to cut cardio on Wednesday for a Saturday show.

Bring up carbs to about the 1g/lbs range or a little higher on Tuesday, drop it slightly on Wednesday, then stay in the 30-50g range Thu/Fri. Sodium is gradually tapered and at its lowest point on Thursday, but never eliminated. Keep water high(er) all week, start reducing it 24hrs out. About 4oz every 1-2hrs or so depending on how much you expel from your bathroom visits.

I reintroduce sodium in the last meal Friday, but stick with mainly proteins and fats. Same thing contest day, keep carbs low and eat nuts, nut butters and a little protein - stick to foods you've been dieting on and don't eat so much that you bloat.

Depending on how dry you are, have a little carbs just prior to PJ - a couple of rice cakes w PB or a protein bar, or even some potato chips. Play it safe. You will be judged on leanness and being dry, not vascular or full as in bodybuilding so no need to carb-deplete/load or fill yourself up on junk on contest day.
I'm obviously not a figure competitor, but I guess going for a more "dry" look is safer than trying to fill out more and get bloated instead if I make it wrong. Would this be a good baseline for me to follow? Does it matter that my conditioning is (very probably) worse to start with or would the dryness still give a better look.
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM

If your condition isn't where it should be, you shouldn't mess too much with various manipulations. Do the water loading/reduction, don't touch the sodium, and depending on your experience with carbloads (fullness, vascularity, how long does it take to smooth out vs dry out), either do a moderate carbload the morning of the photoshoot or do a moderate carbload 2-4 days out and go low carbs until after the shoot.

A little alcohol the night before, a shot of sugar and sodium just prior to taking the pics will have a minor yet noticeable effect.
Unread 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
If your condition isn't where it should be, you shouldn't mess too much with various manipulations. Do the water loading/reduction, don't touch the sodium, and depending on your experience with carbloads (fullness, vascularity, how long does it take to smooth out vs dry out), either do a moderate carbload the morning of the photoshoot or do a moderate carbload 2-4 days out and go low carbs until after the shoot.

A little alcohol the night before, a shot of sugar and sodium just prior to taking the pics will have a minor yet noticeable effect.
Awesome - thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. It will be very interesting to see how it works!