BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default Contraindications for Beta-alanine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittf
The supplement Beta-Alanine appears to be quite controversial. Most of the arguments I have read debate whether or not it is effective. Some say yes, others no.

However, I can live with a supplement that is questionably effective, at least in the short term. The thing that concerns me is the reference that Alan Aragon makes in his book regarding extremely adverse effects on cats administered Beta-Alanine. He cites a study where cats were fed Beta-Alanine (5%) in their water for 20 weeks, and the result was retinal degeneration, taurine depletion, and lesions in their cerebellum. This is scary stuff!!!

I have been taking Beta-Alanine for 6-9 months because it is 'supposed' to help buffer hydrogen atoms and allow better/longer high-intensity exercise. I am a big fan of kettlebell workouts that fall under this description.

Any news on this front, regarding actual dangers of Beta-Alanine? I tried searching the old forum but found nothing on dangers...
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

the human studies on beta-alanine actually looked at the issue of taurine depletion (I'd note that taurine is, as I recall insanely essential for cats, not so much for humans)

quoting from one of the papers in humans

so, I don't think it's a concern

In agreement with a previous study (Harris et al., 2006), supplementation was not associated with any reduction in muscle taurine arising from increased competition between b-alanine and taurine for transport into muscle cells (Jessen, 1994; Ramamoorthy et al., 1994). The lack of any decrease in taurine was evident both at the whole muscle and single fibre level. Dawson et al. (2002) have previously reported that administration of 3% b-alanine in the drinking water of rats, may reduce the taurine content of muscle by up to 50%. However, assuming a water intake of around 200 ml